• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memorial Drama

You may have missed where several people brought up the issue of how much more time and effort it takes the TD to add and verify rather than just verifying the score. That alone is enough to justify the rule in my opinion.

I must be missing something. How would one verify the score and total without adding up all the holes?

I must be missing something. How would one verify the score and total without adding up all the holes?

That's the point. The TD has to add it up either way. If they're added first, the TD adds them once and is done as long as they agree (which is most of the time). If the TD has to add them, he/she should also be verifying the scores (I wouldn't want my score to depend completely on one overworked volunteer adding each score only one time) so that doubles the time at least. On top of that, any that disagree will require triple- or quadruple-checking to make sure it's right. I don't want to put all that work on the TD, and I don't want to wait an extra half hour for the scores to be tallied.

That's the point. The TD has to add it up either way. If they're added first, the TD adds them once and is done as long as they agree (which is most of the time). If the TD has to add them, he/she should also be verifying the scores (I wouldn't want my score to depend completely on one overworked volunteer adding each score only one time) so that doubles the time at least. On top of that, any that disagree will require triple- or quadruple-checking to make sure it's right. I don't want to put all that work on the TD, and I don't want to wait an extra half hour for the scores to be tallied.

:clap:

I'm not going to come up with a different total just because the player has already written it for me. I guess I see the point if we are talking about double checking scores, then this would be needed. I still don't agree with the current penalty though.

Really want to add a contentious element to this debate?

I think about what has happened on multiple occasions in ball golf...

An announcer catches a minor violation on a replay, perhaps unnoticed by the official or any player on the card, and goes to an official and calls the player out on it.

That'd be like Greenwell going to the TD because he thinks he saw a foot fault or something.

One better...some violations are caught by viewers at home and called/emailed/tweeted in to tournament officials. I can already think of a couple occasions watching DGPtv where people in the chat room (myself included) were posting about seeing a violation.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), it's not currently possible for announcers or viewers to call violations after the fact. Q&A #36 in the new rule book addresses this, and says that "video, photos or audio clips cannot be used by officials or TDs for making rulings." One can't even take a camera-phone photo of a disc in a questionable position (e.g. is it in-bounds or out-of-bounds?) to show to a TD or official for a ruling. The players have to make a call themselves, play provisionals, or wait for an official or the TD to come out to the hole and see the situation for themselves.

Kinda silly in that context, but considering not every group has a camera following it for broadcast purposes, it does make sense that people watching the broadcast can't make calls. It would be unfair to have Will Schusterick get called on a violation by someone watching online but not have, say, Nikko get the same violation called because he happens to be in a group that's not on camera.

Someday, though, we'll get to that point. Someday.

I'm not going to come up with a different total just because the player has already written it for me. I guess I see the point if we are talking about double checking scores, then this would be needed. I still don't agree with the current penalty though.

You just don't get it...do you even read what you write?:wall:

You are not coming up with a different score just because the player wrote it already - OK I'll write 19 down for my score and you just enter it on your spreadsheet - first 1300 rated round ever!:clap:

By the way that for 24 holes and adjusted for 18 on a 65.2 SSA course.:D

The entire conversation has been about double checking scores and the lightbulb has just now come on for you 6 hours later?:doh:

Last year at the GBO I miscounted my score in the first round. Jeremy Rusco himself was there counting scorecards. He went over the scorecard with me and we got the correct total, plus I was penalized strokes.

Why should I be held to a different standard than the top pros? Shouldn't they have to follow the same rules as me?

Sure, at an event like the Memorial, there is a board with the scores on them anyway, so how can I possibly screw up my score when hundreds of other people are also taking score?

First of all the rule is there and everyone plays by the same rule whatever the consequences are.

In high school I watched a Freshman win the state glf championship but he signed a scorecard with an incorrect score written down on the last hole and he was disqualified. He foregot to look it over and change the score before signing in and turning it in.

Because of what the rules are you have to think that adding up your score is part of the game at the end of your round. Now, because Disc golf is so much more casual in general than ball golf and especially in casual rounds, most people seem to think that the current PDGA rules are not fair. I am not sure how they are unfair, you just have to remember that adding your score is part of your job. It is like punching out on the time clock at the end of the day. There are consequences for this as well as in you may not get paid as accurately as you should and fi you keep it up other disciplinary actions could be taken.

I personally think the current rules are more than fair and I would have enjoyed him only beating Paul by 1 in regulation and seeing him finish second because of the mistake. I think he deserved the win, but it makes the reality of adding up your score look more like part of your job. Keeping score in general is part of your job so why wouldn't adding it up be part of it as well?

I didn't read every post here, so maybe this was already mentioned. After Will his the putt on 18 to win, multiple people told him to stay calm and make sure you turn in your scorecard correctly, and then go celebrate. I wrote the "Memorial Drama" article and I do all the tweeting for the PDGA. I am telling you this as an absolute undeniable fact. It was a slip-up caused by all the excitement, and I can tell you for sure Will won't be making that mistake again.

As far as the penalty itself, I see no reason for it to change. Turn your card in completed as it should be. Not difficult to do. We've all done it hundreds of times. I'd feel like an idiot if I was stroked for not doing it, but I wouldn't argue against it.

Thank you to anyone and everyone who reads the articles I post after each round and to anyone who follows @PDGA and @PDGAlive too. I love doing what I do for the fans of disc golf, despite how stressful and exhausting it is. (Not to mention I don't get paid to do it.) I'll be at every NT this year tweeting and writing. If you live in the area of an upcoming NT and want to help, please let me know.

-Marty Gregwah-
@martygregwah, facebook.com/martygregwah
[email protected]

Marty, appreciate what you do but please use "throw" or "shot" instead of the incorrect word "stroke" in your stories. Thanks!

("stroke" has never been used in the PDGA rulebook)

So of us older schoolers have tried to keep the "purity" of our lingo intact knowing full well that "stroke" comes easily to many tongues due to familiarity with ball golf.

Marty, appreciate what you do but please use "throw" or "shot" instead of the incorrect word "stroke" in your stories. Thanks!

("stroke" has never been used in the PDGA rulebook)

In the past, I've defended "stroke" on the grounds that saying a player "was stroked" sounds better than saying he "was thrown" or "was shot".

In this particular case, "thrown" or "shot" almost captures the gravity of the Will's mistake.