• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrells

anrew18

Par Member
Has anyone used these?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...id=home_PageElement_home_rr_3_3167_&rrec=true

I was going to get a new set of Merrells and these look pretty cool and are on sale. obviously as a disc golfer I'm looking for water proof and durability. the added requirement for me is that they sort of blend in as office shoes for work. My next consideration is the MOAB 2.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

FWIW, I had a pair of these a few years back which were a slightly different version of course. They were one of the shorter lasting Merrells I ever owned, lasted like 6 months and had to take them back to REI (grandfathered in before policy change). Maybe they have improved or maybe not, can't say one or another but the experience made me look outside of Merrell for my next purchases. But if the sale price is good they might be worth a shot and hope you have a good experience.

Also, Merrell doesnt do Gore-Tex anymore they have their own crappier version so its more like water resistant than waterproof IMO. Another nail in the coffin for me, new shoes should not result in wet socks the first week you own them.

Also, Merrell doesnt do Gore-Tex anymore they have their own crappier version so its more like water resistant than waterproof IMO. Another nail in the coffin for me, new shoes should not result in wet socks the first week you own them.

This is not the case. They don't offer many with goretex, but the Moab 2 in both low and mid both are available in goretex. And the Moab 2 is fairly new, within the last year I believe.

I have the moab 2 vent. They are comfortable but the vent model is not waterproof. If you want the moab just make sure you get the waterproof model if that is important to you.

Good find, my apologies guess they do offer real waterproofing in a few select shoes. Definitely wish it was more as I like the Arctic Grip in the boots.

FWIW just 6 months in, my Merrill Capra Bolts both have rips in the fabric along the instep. I'll be going with Keens next time.

I think everyone is cutting corners in manufacturing to save costs, so which shoes last you longer than 6 months is basically a matter of luck.

I personally have not had any problems with Merrells failing prematurely, but I have read many people here complain about it so I must have just been getting lucky. I bought a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift R GTX last year as a backup pair of waterproof shoes and I had holes tear into the fabric within 6 months, despite this being a backup pair and not seeing much use. I've tried expensive shoes from Vasque and it made no difference in durability. They were toast within a year. North Face trail shoes also fell apart on me. Right now I am using Merrell Moab and Inov-8 Roclite 305 and they seem to be holding up. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I don't use Merrells for DG anymore. I love their glove series minimalist shoes for wearing (my feet need wide toe boxes) but for DG their trail/hiking stuff just doesn't hold up.

I think everyone is cutting corners in manufacturing to save costs, so which shoes last you longer than 6 months is basically a matter of luck.

I personally have not had any problems with Merrells failing prematurely, but I have read many people here complain about it so I must have just been getting lucky. I bought a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift R GTX last year as a backup pair of waterproof shoes and I had holes tear into the fabric within 6 months, despite this being a backup pair and not seeing much use. I've tried expensive shoes from Vasque and it made no difference in durability. They were toast within a year. North Face trail shoes also fell apart on me. Right now I am using Merrell Moab and Inov-8 Roclite 305 and they seem to be holding up. Fingers crossed.

Pretty much this. :(

Getting a rock solid pair of DG shoes appears to be a crapshoot, even from the same company. Over the years have used Merrells, North Face, Salomon, Adidas and Keens. Have had good ones from Merrell and others that fell apart, same goes for all the above. North Face were probably the worst, and Adidas probably the most reliable for me (but not perfect either). Starting to lower my expectations now to a quality 6 months down from a year.

I think it depends on what Merrells you get too. Some of the trail running ones are not that good but the Moab hikers low from what I have seen look about the same (no big changes) as they did in the 2000's a overbuilt shoe that does not work for most running except for trail races at ~200 miles and over as you do much more hiking in those events often a regular pair of trail shoes for the events leave feet hurting during the event. In fact the Moab Low Hiker was made for the Moab 240 mile race as well as some adventure stuff.

I think it depends on what Merrells you get too. Some of the trail running ones are not that good but the Moab hikers low from what I have seen look about the same (no big changes) as they did in the 2000's a overbuilt shoe that does not work for most running except for trail races at ~200 miles and over as you do much more hiking in those events often a regular pair of trail shoes for the events leave feet hurting during the event. In fact the Moab Low Hiker was made for the Moab 240 mile race as well as some adventure stuff.

Yeah, all I ever buy from Merrell are the Low Moabs and I have no problems with them. I could've sworn I have seen someone complain about his/her Moabs falling apart on them though. I only buy other brands cause I keep trying to dabble in something lighter/different but yeah, everything else tends to fall apart.

Yeah, all I ever buy from Merrell are the Low Moabs and I have no problems with them. I could've sworn I have seen someone complain about his/her Moabs falling apart on them though. I only buy other brands cause I keep trying to dabble in something lighter/different but yeah, everything else tends to fall apart.

For me it was the Chameleons from Merrell that barely made it 4 months with normal, every day use nothing extreme. Just happened to be my first and last return to REI during their policy change, since I had not done it before I was grandfathered in for one return. Moabs seem to be their best made shoes from my experience.

FWIW, I know this is a year later, but I just got the MOAB2 GTX boot and I love them so far. But I was a little unimpressed with the upper, which is a pretty cheap looking synthetic leather. The Vibram sole looks rugged enough, and I think that the soles themselves will be fine, the GoreTex works great, but I think the upper is where it's going to ultimately fail. They are very comfortable though (and not just for hikers).

FWIW just 6 months in, my Merrill Capra Bolts both have rips in the fabric along the instep. I'll be going with Keens next time.

I wore Merrell's for 15 years and saw the quality deteriorate considerably over that period of time. Adidas makes the best shoes for disc golf I have worn recently.

Cheap shoes that fall apart quickly. :thmbdown:

I've gotten 2 years out of all my Merrells; Moabs, Chameleon VI and V, and my current low top hikers. All with Vibram soles. True that the soles will outlast the uppers, but these have been great as DG/everyday shoes

I have over three years on my Moabs and have had no problems. They are still comfortable and the uppers are in great shape.

Latest posts