• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Methods to Repair Your Discs

Just because I quickly put a lighter to a beat up baseline plastic disc that got road rash (to slightly smooth it out so I don't scrape/cut my hand/fingers upon future releases) doesn't make it stable again:|

EDIT: would you really disqualify me from a tourny just because I don't want to cut my voluptuous hand?
I'll clarify my stance a bit. I'm only with him on the not needing to repair discs part. I don't believe that repairing them is illegal.

Being new to the sport, and after reading the rules, I used a sanding stick on all of my discs. That fine line where the molds come together, I've sanded all of them some until it felt comfortable in my hand. For softer discs, just throw them in the freezer for a while, it will make it easier to sand or shave off with a sharp blade.
Just a preference with me. Feel and comfort with the grip is just something you shouldn't have to worry about when making a shot.

When I repair my discs, I'm attempting to bring them closer to manufacturer specs, so it's legal. Flashing can legally be removed, as it's not part of the mold specs, and is unintentionally not removed.

When I intentionally beat in my discs, I'm not trying to make changes to the disc. I'm practicing. ... Yes, I practice my thumbers by throwing them into a concrete wall 2' away. Different strokes for different folks.

I do have a question now:
Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal

What qualifies as excessive painting?

Any paint with measurable weight. So any painting is illegal while sharpies and dyes are not. I guess it's measurable because you can chip paint off and weigh it? You'd figure a dye would add like .2 grams or something. And sharpie would weigh i would assume too but idk.

A pair of fingernail clippers can be used to easily snip off chunks of a disc that have dislodged due to unfortunate collisions.

I've used an xacto knife for that - they do become a bit less stable the more you cut.

no one else carries a repair kit with them out on the course for their discs?

thought you all were nerds and it wasnt your first day playing....

I play PDGA tournaments and take them seriously but honestly who cares. Kind of a silly, pretty negligible rule that is far too tough to enforce frankly. I understand why it is in place but no one in their right mind cares if you sanded a little here or removed a bit there. I can't imagine ever calling anyone on it unless they did something pretty blatant and wacky to their disc, and I've only heard of it being called on anyone once or twice ever. If you call my discs out as illegal I won't even hold it against you lol.

Matches work great for the extremely rare large fray. Tiny frays I usually leave alone. If I acquire a new disc and there is some flashing that bothers me, which is super rare nowadays, I may use a razor to remove some of it. I used to remove any and all flashing with sandpaper but not anymore.

I play PDGA tournaments and take them seriously but honestly who cares. Kind of a silly, pretty negligible rule that is far too tough to enforce frankly. I understand why it is in place but no one in their right mind cares if you sanded a little here or removed a bit there. I can't imagine ever calling anyone on it unless they did something pretty blatant and wacky to their disc, and I've only heard of it being called on anyone once or twice ever. If you call my discs out as illegal I won't even hold it against you lol.

Matches work great for the extremely rare large fray. Tiny frays I usually leave alone. If I acquire a new disc and there is some flashing that bothers me, which is super rare nowadays, I may use a razor to remove some of it. I used to remove any and all flashing with sandpaper but not anymore.

ahh you must not throw trilogy

I'll usually wash a new disc in hot hot water and throw it in the dryer for half hour. Smooths the sharp edges no problem.

Any paint with measurable weight. So any painting is illegal while sharpies and dyes are not. I guess it's measurable because you can chip paint off and weigh it? You'd figure a dye would add like .2 grams or something. And sharpie would weigh i would assume too but idk.

"Detectable thickness" ; so yeah, you have to be able to chip it off.

If I excessively sand my disc, but don't use a material of detectable thickness, is my disc legal?