• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan this Weekend

roadtripstuff

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Ok, so hopefully me and a buddy of mine will be heading up to Michigan to hit up some courses. We will be leaving Columbus, Ohio Friday morning around 1:00am-2:00am and head towards western Michigan. Our plan so far is as follows.

1:00am Friday Leave Columbus
7:00am Friday Arrive Kentwood, MI (Old Farm Park)
9:30am Friday Arrive Grand Rapids, MI (Riverside Park)
12:30pm Friday Arrive Muskegon, MI (McGraft Park)
3:30pm Friday Arrive Shelby, MI (Flip City)

8:00am Saturday Leave Shelby, MI (Flip City)
9:00am Saturday Arrive Ludington, MI (Beauty & the Beast)
2:00pm Saturday Leave Ludington, MI
4:00pm Saturday Arrive Sleeping Bears Dunes

After finishing up in Ludington we plan on going up to sleeping bear dunes and just doing some site seeing, but if there are other must plays in the area please let me know. We are trying to get as many courses in as possible, so any suggestions would be great.

I live in GR so I am about 15 mins from old farm and riverside. Have you ever played those courses before?

Ok, so hopefully me and a buddy of mine will be heading up to Michigan to hit up some courses. We will be leaving Columbus, Ohio Friday morning around 1:00am-2:00am and head towards western Michigan. Our plan so far is as follows.

1:00am Friday Leave Columbus
7:00am Friday Arrive Kentwood, MI (Old Farm Park)
9:30am Friday Arrive Grand Rapids, MI (Riverside Park)
12:30pm Friday Arrive Muskegon, MI (McGraft Park)
3:30pm Friday Arrive Shelby, MI (Flip City)

8:00am Saturday Leave Shelby, MI (Flip City)
9:00am Saturday Arrive Ludington, MI (Beauty & the Beast)
2:00pm Saturday Leave Ludington, MI
4:00pm Saturday Arrive Sleeping Bears Dunes

After finishing up in Ludington we plan on going up to sleeping bear dunes and just doing some site seeing, but if there are other must plays in the area please let me know. We are trying to get as many courses in as possible, so any suggestions would be great.

If I may make a suggestion, I'd go with Brewer over Old Farm. Old Farm is a decent course, but it's really 18 holes on 9 holes worth of land in my opinion. The front nine especially is stacked on top of each other. If you go with Brewer, especially at 7AM when the course is guaranteed to be empty, you've got 18 long & open (red and gold) and 18 short and wooded holes (blue and white) to choose from. It's almost impossible to get in 36 holes here in the afternoon thanks to it being so crowded, but a 7AM round is a treat especially considering that there likely won't be any wind. You can get all 36 in 2.5 to 3 hours with no problem.

You might also consider skipping McGraft and getting your rounds in at Flip as early as possible... according to this, you're going to have storms to contend with Friday night.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...te=GRR&textField1=43.6086&textField2=-86.3639

Good luck with your trip and enjoy Flip City. It really is the standard that all other private courses should be judged by.

If I may make a suggestion, I'd go with Brewer over Old Farm. Old Farm is a decent course, but it's really 18 holes on 9 holes worth of land in my opinion. The front nine especially is stacked on top of each other. If you go with Brewer, especially at 7AM when the course is guaranteed to be empty, you've got 18 long & open (red and gold) and 18 short and wooded holes (blue and white) to choose from. It's almost impossible to get in 36 holes here in the afternoon thanks to it being so crowded, but a 7AM round is a treat especially considering that there likely won't be any wind. You can get all 36 in 2.5 to 3 hours with no problem.

You might also consider skipping McGraft and getting your rounds in at Flip as early as possible... according to this, you're going to have storms to contend with Friday night.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...te=GRR&textField1=43.6086&textField2=-86.3639

Good luck with your trip and enjoy Flip City. It really is the standard that all other private courses should be judged by.

Hey thanks for the advice. I will probably take your advice on skipping old farm. We will also be playing flip city on Saturday morning before we leave as well so we might go a head and play McGraft, but we will see what the weather is like and go from there.

I would agree with the brewer option also, although I am partial to Old Farm Brewer is simply put a better park.

Also, if anyone knows of any shops in western Michigan where I can purchase discs, I would appreciate that as well.

let me know how old farm, riverside, and flip city are! im from the detroit area, but head up to grand rapids(gvsu) all the time, and will be playing those courses for sure.

let me know how old farm, riverside, and flip city are! im from the detroit area, but head up to grand rapids(gvsu) all the time, and will be playing those courses for sure.

I will definitely be reviewing all the courses that we play this weekend as soon as we get back.

Also, if anyone knows of any shops in western Michigan where I can purchase discs, I would appreciate that as well.

Spinski's has a great selection of discs (that's all they sell, actually) and is about 2 minutes from Brewer. They're only open from 12pm to 6pm, though. Maybe if you call and ask today they'll open up early for you on Saturday? Can't hurt to ask. Here's the info:

7641 S Division Ave
Grand Rapids, MI 49548-7223
(616) 827-0386

Maybe if you call and ask today they'll open up early for you on Saturday?

Hmm. I obviously meant Friday. That's what I get for trying to post when i'm half asleep. Oh well. Time to go get some playing in. :)

Hmm. I obviously meant Friday. That's what I get for trying to post when i'm half asleep. Oh well. Time to go get some playing in. :)

Hey thanks for the info, we will probably be getting lunch somewhere around there, so we will probably still be in the area around, noon or so. We will definitely check it out, I hate to pass up a good disc golf store since they are so few and far between. We finally got one here in Columbus, and I'm headed down there for the first time in a few minutes, grab some new plastic then hit the course.

I have one more question, does anyone know of any place to camp near flip city or Ludington. I contacted Bill at Flip city and it seems he may be having a private party this weekend and we won't be able to stay there.

Where's the love for SE Michigan? Just cause everyone wants to go to Flip City ... sheesh ;)

Lol, we do plan on getting back up there to play some of the courses in SE Michigan as well at some point. I have a friend here that highly suggests Hudson Mills, and I looked over a few more that look like they would make a good day of golfing. Hopefully it won't be too long before we make it back up there for those.

Hey thanks for the info, we will probably be getting lunch somewhere around there, so we will probably still be in the area around, noon or so. We will definitely check it out, I hate to pass up a good disc golf store since they are so few and far between. We finally got one here in Columbus, and I'm headed down there for the first time in a few minutes, grab some new plastic then hit the course.

I have one more question, does anyone know of any place to camp near flip city or Ludington. I contacted Bill at Flip city and it seems he may be having a private party this weekend and we won't be able to stay there.

There is a new Sonic fast food joint not to far from the park, I don't know if you eat that stuff or not.

Ok, so because Flip City is holding a private party, we decided to hold off on the Michigan trip. We were having a hard time getting a campsite anywhere in western Michigan on such short noticed so we changed our plans. We are now going to head down towards Ashville, NC and hit up some of the courses around there. We were able to get a campsite in Smokey Mountain NP, so this seemed to be a better option since we waited so long to plan.

Lol, we do plan on getting back up there to play some of the courses in SE Michigan as well at some point. I have a friend here that highly suggests Hudson Mills, and I looked over a few more that look like they would make a good day of golfing. Hopefully it won't be too long before we make it back up there for those.

Make sure you let us know. I'm all of 5 min and 4 miles from Hudson Mills. ;)

Make sure you let us know. I'm all of 5 min and 4 miles from Hudson Mills. ;)

Since you're so close, may I recommend listing yourself as a course guide? That way folks can PM you with questions or to see if you can play a round with them. It's a good way to promote your local course and give to the community.

Now you know... and knowledge is power.