• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to NW Michigan 2021

Just read your review for Mt McSauba. Great work. I am glad you enjoyed the beating. This is probably my favorite course in the state. Always a bit rugged and lacking some amenity polish, but the golf and scenery is spectacular. I'm am so disappointed to not get "up north" and get in a round or two with ya. Sounds like you're having a great trip.

Just read your review for Mt McSauba. Great work. I am glad you enjoyed the beating. This is probably my favorite course in the state. Always a bit rugged and lacking some amenity polish, but the golf and scenery is spectacular. I'm am so disappointed to not get "up north" and get in a round or two with ya. Sounds like you're having a great trip.

I appreciate the compliment. It's a tie for me between Mt. McSauba and Flip City in MI. But I'm sure I played way less than you have there. I already want to plan another trip over there for next year. Maybe we can get a round in then. :thmbup:

Day 7 done with.

Started out with Log Lake Park. A fun and easy 18 hole wooded course. Then up to Palmer Park, a ho hum, typical city park 9er. Gaylord DGC was supposed to be the last one before heading to Escanaba. Fun little 18 that's mostly wooded with some fun shots. Turns out there was a 9 hole beginners course right next to that. Not listed on DGCR so I figured I'd play that and add it. It's on here now and I got 4 bagged today.

Then we got to Escanaba a couple hours before dark so we headed over to John D Besse park and "played" the 9 hole practice course there and took some pics. 5 courses today and a 4 plus hour drive. Not too shabby. :D

I appreciate the compliment. It's a tie for me between Mt. McSauba and Flip City in MI. But I'm sure I played way less than you have there. I already want to plan another trip over there for next year. Maybe we can get a round in then. :thmbup:

Just imagine how even better McSauba would be if it got even a fraction of the upkeep and care that Flip gets.

I almost want to keep away from even talking about the place so it keeps everyone away, the locals up there are NOT a fan of that course being there and already had it closed once before.

There is actually a sweet long tee placement that runs along the road on hole 10 I believe that was pulled a couple years ago because newbie chuckers who had no business playing long tees were throwing their champion grooves into people's yards.

First rule of McSauba fan club is don't talk about McSauba.

Last edited:
There is actually a sweet long tee placement that runs along the road on hole 10 I believe that was pulled a couple years ago because newbie chuckers who had no business playing long tees were throwing their champion grooves into people's yards.

That looked like it would've been a pretty awesome hole too. Not nearly as exciting from the bottom of the hill but it totally makes sense.

That looked like it would've been a pretty awesome hole too. Not nearly as exciting from the bottom of the hill but it totally makes sense.

Yeah the short tee is awesome too. I might be driving that hole next time I get up there. The long tee is a bomber. To be honest I'm pretty sure I bombed one into the neighbors yard from that placement myself, I know my buddy did for sure and we couldn't even find it.

I could imagine cars might come into play too. What can you do, something must have happened and goodbye long tee.

How busy was the course?

Wrapped up the trip today. And it was a good one.

Crivitz DGC (x2)
Coleman Tower park
Badger park
Shu Pond (x2)
Oconto Falls HS

Special thanks to Shuie for showing us around.

And getting my disc out of that tree 😁

Wrapped up the trip today. And it was a good one.

Crivitz DGC (x2)
Coleman Tower park
Badger park
Shu Pond (x2)
Oconto Falls HS

Special thanks to Shuie for showing us around.

And getting my disc out of that tree 😁

*Anxiously waiting........TAP TAP TAP TAP TAPPPPPPPPPPP!!!! ;):p

Many times after a road trip one course seems to occupy my mind. Not always my favorite but still gets the most thought. Was wondering if you have any after thoughts from your road trip?

Mt. McSauba is probably that course for this trip. Really fun golf with amazing views. And then there's Flip. Which I just absolutely love. Whiskey hills was kind of the sleeper course. Not rated too high for various reasons it seemed but an amazing course imo.

The one I want to never think of again is Hart Hydro. For SO many different reasons.

Mt. McSauba is probably that course for this trip. Really fun golf with amazing views. And then there's Flip. Which I just absolutely love. Whiskey hills was kind of the sleeper course. Not rated too high for various reasons it seemed but an amazing course imo.

The one I want to never think of again is Hart Hydro. For SO many different reasons.
As far as the disc play itself goes, Whiskey is pretty awesome. I haven't been there in years, but it seems questionable ownership/mgt and a bunch of drama around state's a few years back left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

The only questions I have for you are:
1) how are the tees? They only installed 1-2 concrete tees when I played, and the one I remember seemed rather rinky dink.
2) How bad (or not bad) were the ferns?

Good to know I don't wanna waste time at Hart Hydro next time I'm hitting courses up and down US Hwy 31.

Last edited:

McSauba has one of the best views from any teepad in the state of Michigan, at least that I've played on. Pictures don't necessarily do it justice, but here was our view last time in October

MCKgHIV.jpg

Yeah, McSauba totally surprised us too. Had no idea what to expect or what we were in for. I just did a map radius of all the high rated courses from our home camping base in Boyne and went from there.

Thankfully I didn't bring my cart, holy cow. Loved that course so much we ended up canceling the next day's trip to Blissfest and ended up playing McSauba again.

The only questions I have for you are:
1) how are the tees? They only installed 1-2 concrete tees when I played, and the one I remember seemed rather rinky dink.
2) How bad (or not bad) were the ferns?

Good to know I don't wanna waste time at Hart Hydro next time I'm hitting courses up and down US Hwy 31.

The tees aren't great. The first two were brick pads that looked great but aren't really the best teeing surfaces. So probably about the same as when you were there. As for the ferns, they weren't a problem at all. It was early June though, so I imagine that could and probably would change by July or so.

And I know how you like to cherry pick great courses on your trips. I'll be bag anything, and I regret that one. Literally any other course near there is better.

LULZ :p:p:p Even if he gave it that, i'd be happy!!!

I'll get a review up for it as long as I can remember it well enough. And if I ever get my WiFi working. It's been a busy, busy week with the new house. Furniture doesn't come for another week yet either. Thanks Covid

Latest posts