• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One shot at Michigan

One thing I've been wondering about while researching Michigan courses,
"what's the deal with all the 24 hole courses ? ". There are tons of them.

As I'm not in with the design crew, and wasn't playing when a lot of the courses were put in, I'm probably not the guy to answer that question.

Regarding both courses at Hudson Mills, Black Locust at Kensington and Holly Woods, the option is there to play just a straight 18, or go for the 24 (at Hudson and Holly) or 27 (at Kensington) with ease. It provides some nice flexibility depending on time constraints/stamina.

I'm not as familiar with some of the other courses on your list, but I would assume the same holds true for some of them as well.

They rule?

I mean, why have 18 when you can have 24, right?

Seriously, it struck me as odd initailly, but the versatility is awesome. It also is nice and easy to split who scores in a mixed double foursome. Everyone does 6.

FYI - not knocking camping at Flip, but if you're so inclined, Ludington State Park is 8 miles north of Leviathan, and 13 miles north of Mason County Park (Beauty/Beast/Goliath): nice campgrounds, with clean, private showers, something I truly appreciate on my DG road trips.

FYI - not knocking camping at Flip, but if you're so inclined, Ludington State Park is 8 miles north of Leviathan, and 13 miles north of Mason County Park (Beauty/Beast/Goliath): nice campgrounds, with clean, private showers, something I truly appreciate on my DG road trips.

Can't speak to camping at Flip, but Ludington State Park is quite nice. Showers are great. Also, if you're tent camping, the hike-in sites are pretty sweet. Good way to avoid the screaming child contingent.

Haven't stay there, but Mason County also has a campground that is located pretty close to Beauty/Beast/Goliath.

Ok. Just so everyone knows their great info was not wasted, this trip is back on the books...a year later. Changes; my wife is going and dg is barely in the mix, so I'm down to one course per day and it needs to be enjoyable for both of us.
Flip City is a def & maybe a couple more on the west shoreline before hitting the UP...then into Wisco. We want to camp...worried about bugs.

No ticks but deer fly's and musketeers will be thete

One course per day before UP? Then Flip City and Hickory Hills! Others can second this im sure.

I haven't played Carlys Playground but I would bet you would rather want to play that course then Hickory Hills. I have heard it's kind of brutal for elevation though. Makes Flip City look like nothing.

but Hickory Hills is an awesome course.

If you want a small fun course Beauty at Mason County is awesome(and depending on how fast you play you may be able to cheat another course).

Also Fallasburg is my home course and I love that place, but I don't think it's worth going to unless you are in the Grand Rapids area. Also if you are check out Founders or if you don't like huge crowds Perrin is normally less crowded.

But Flip City is a must for sure. If you are up in the UP don't play the Suite St Marie Course, but the one in ST Ignase was good like 4 years ago. I think it has changed though.

I really like aesthetically-pleasing, scenic courses.

i dunno how anyone recommended hudson mills for this. its just swamps and tunnel shots.
then it opens up to flat fields. one or two great holes but otherwise its so boring.

independence lake, black locust, rolling hills, even cass benton is more scenic.

sorry i dont know west michigan courses to recommend. driving up michigan to wisco sounds like a long long drive.

Last edited:
Mando, if you ferry across i would so be down to meet up with you at Winter park or rolling ridge!!m You can get my number from the contact info from Shu Pond DGC on here.

The tournaments were getting so large that extra holes were needed to accommodate the masses.

So, just to update, my wife and I did a PA/WV/VA trip in early august, so this will be a solo mission.
We played one course; Moraine SP.
Next up ; Driving to cincy for Idlewild/Lincoln Ridge then heading to SW MI, NW MI, da UP,E wisco...then home.
Sounds like Flip,Leviathan,Hickory Hills,Carlys Playground,the Tailings,Winter Park,Shu Pond,Rollin Ridge are must plays...would like to know which courses to veer off course for in western MI and eastern WI.

I'd add Zobel in Wisconsin, and it's really worth hitting Beauty/Beast/Goliath when you're in the area around Flip and Leviathan.

I'd add Zobel in Wisconsin, and it's really worth hitting Beauty/Beast/Goliath when you're in the area around Flip and Leviathan.
Noted. Silver Creek is also a definite must play in addition to Zobel...what about powder mill ?
To be honest, my biggest fear about this trip is all the straight roads...

Noted. Silver Creek is also a definite must play in addition to Zobel...what about powder mill ?
To be honest, my biggest fear about this trip is all the straight roads...

I haven't played Powder Mill, Silver Creek is very cool but you definitely have a bunch on your list that I think aren't as scenic or as fun as the Mason County courses.

I haven't played Powder Mill, Silver Creek is very cool but you definitely have a bunch on your list that I think aren't as scenic or as fun as the Mason County courses.
Well, I will have to re-visit that. It would sure save alot of drive time to save wisco for another trip.

Both states are worth a whole week all by themselves easily, you could have a fantastic trip hitting more courses in just one or the other. :thmbup:

Both states are worth a whole week all by themselves easily, you could have a fantastic trip hitting more courses in just one or the other. :thmbup:
Good point. Driving all night on paper is not quite the same as actually doing it.