• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One shot at Michigan

Branstorm falls into that group of good courses around Flip category. I played poorly, the round I played there, and got myself whooped by a youngster. It's a lot like the "Charlotte wooded" courses though, which may not be what Mando is after. Not necessarily the same types of trees; but in terms of tight, wooded lines; hole after hole....no underbrush though; you don't have to search for discs.

Wow ! Thanks for all the great info.
Michigan Schedule looking like this;
Day one & two Linden
Holly Woods
(Need to choose one more from; Kensington BL,
Hudson Mills & Independence Lake)
Day three drive to Shelby to play Flip City-either camp there or head to Ludington
Day four Mason Co & maybe Leviathan-drive to Traverse City camp
Day five Hickory Hills & Carlys Playground
Day six- either play MK & hit the U.P or
backtrack to Ludington for the 9:00 ferry to Manitowoc,WI.

I've played 100 different DGc in Michigan. I wish Khandahar was still in the ground, but since it's not I'd recommend all the ones you want to play along with Crystal Mountain DGC in Thompsonville, granted it's only 9 holes to date (with plans of future expansion), but your going to really like this DGc if you play it especially if like a challenging course to play. The Crowle Hole DGC in Harbor Springs is pretty cool. I'd say they have 5 signature holes to go along with a really good DGC to play (Petosky area, Silver Mountain is a cool DGC, It's a couple miles in from the great Mackinac Bridge on the Upper Penisula, Very Scenic, though a little confusing finding some holes. But overall a good DGC that you'll be glad that you played. Mt. Pleasant has a couple cool DGC, one is at an alternative High School that actually teaches Disc Golf to their students (but such is the norm for the Mt. Pleasant area as Central michigan U. offers DG as an elective), This course is called the Ferns @ Oddessy (High School). They recently added DGA baskets to the course so I know your really going to love playing this diamond in the rough. And the other DGC in MT. Pleasant that I would say you should play is Deerfield Park. Not enough recognition goes Mt. Pleasant ways and I'm just saying.....Reed County Park in Ithaca is another good one and just south of Mt. Pleasant. Brats is a cool course especially if you play in the friday night league with host Terry Calhoun. I think you also find that the Ponds @ Lakeshore will also tickle your fancy if you got the chance to play this DGc, it's in Ypsilanti.

I know your going to have a blast playing up in Michigan. Great state and a GREAT STATE for Disc Golf courses.

PS. if your in the Ludington area and looking for some GREAT FOOD, go to Bortell's, Fresh Seafood everyday and can purchase by the pound. On top of that they have their own private beachhead to Lake Michigan a couple driveways down from the store. It's located on Lakeshore Blvd which is very very close to the Beauty, Beast and Goliath DGC. There's also a carry out nearby that sells discs, beer, and the hard stuff and even has a practice basket.

Have fun------------------------- - +

Day one & two Linden
Holly Woods
Hudson Mills & Independence Lake) For my money, Hudson all day. 48 holes, $7.00, limited crowds, and some of the most impeccable groundskeeping you'll find anywhere.
Day three drive to Shelby to play Flip City-either camp there or head to Ludington

You're heading to Wisco after Michigan? Just a heads up, it's a freakin' haul across the UP. Don't mean to discourage you, because doing the Mackinaw bridge is a good experience and the UP is god's country, but it can be a draining trip. No expressway, all two lane highways with limited passing lanes. If you do opt for the UP, make an effort to hit The Tailings in Iron River, MI.

Knowing Mando he is probably going to be up at 5 every morning and hike or bike across the UP. People up there better hide their beer fridges though.

Knowing Mando he is probably going to be up at 5 every morning and hike or bike across the UP. People up there better hide their beer fridges though.
Ha. Not time to cross UP on bike, but one scenario would be taking my touring bike with camping gear on ferry to Wisco,(leaving vehicle in Ludington) and bike touring to Silver Creek,Winter Park,Rollin Ridge.

Day one & two Linden
Holly Woods
Hudson Mills & Independence Lake)

Day 3 - Flip City and Branstrom Park
Day 4 - Mason County Park - drive to TC
Day 5 - HH & Carly's, drive 90 min north
Day 6 - River Road & The Crowle Hole ( Maybe Boyne Mtn)

My suggestions. MK is a neat course, but I would hit the Petoskey/Harbor courses instead. 42+ holes instead of 18 and located a lot closer to the UP.

F*ck the ferry.

Damn!

Ha. Not time to cross UP on bike, but one scenario would be taking my touring bike with camping gear on ferry to Wisco,(leaving vehicle in Ludington) and bike touring to Silver Creek,Winter Park,Rollin Ridge.

I am jealous. This trip sounds epic. Do you need someone to keep Sugaree broken in while you are way?

I realize I got to this thread a bit late. But I would strongly recommend playing Deerfield Park in Mount Pleasant. I grew up, and currently live 15mins from Flip City, but went to college 15 mins from Deerfield and I honestly think Deerfield is better. Deerfield is more challenging and has better shot variety and scenery. It is the only 5 disc rating I have given.

Recently played Independence Lake - Red Hawk course. I can see a lot of what people like about this course and the new holes are coming along nicely. However, holes 13-16 are closed for construction, apparently they flooded last year and are being raised up. The new holes (A-F) should be a lot of fun next year, when they make concrete pads and replace the rocks. And this drought sure isn't doing the good holes any favors.

Does have nice signs, multiple tee pads, concrete pads for White/Black tees, mini brooms hang from every tee sign to brush pads and picnic tables at almost every single pad. I actually opted not to review this course yet due to current state it is in. Will be more fair next year when construction is done and we get some much needed water. It is a great course that is simply not in tip top shape at the moment, and spending $9 to get in the park might make me wait til next year.

Right now, given the a choice, I would much rather play Hudson Mills - Original right now than Ind Lake Red Hawk. Just my $.02.

Recently played Independence Lake - Red Hawk course. I can see a lot of what people like about this course and the new holes are coming along nicely. However, holes 13-16 are closed for construction, apparently they flooded last year and are being raised up.

13-16 are actually closed due to the new waterpark construction. They had to dig a new drain field for the waterpark, and guess where they put all of the new dirt? ;) It is a bummer to have them closed, but it will make for a really really cool hole (#16) when it is done..

Has this trip been completed? Care to offer a post mortem? Would love to hear what courses you ended up hitting.
Not left yet, still looking for that window that won't strain my marriage...yea, it's a solo trip.

13-16 are actually closed due to the new waterpark construction. They had to dig a new drain field for the waterpark, and guess where they put all of the new dirt? ;) It is a bummer to have them closed, but it will make for a really really cool hole (#16) when it is done..

Ahhh, thanks for the update. It was my 1st time playing that course and was not entirely sure of the reason they were closed. One of the guys at CJ's Party Store who plays locally had told me it was due to them flooding last year. So they were going to add more dirt and raise them up to avoid a similar problem in the future. Sounded reasonable, as does your explanation. :thmbup:

Can't wait to play it next season when it is fully open. Very nice course, glad it is only a half hour away.

One thing I've been wondering about while researching Michigan courses,
"what's the deal with all the 24 hole courses ? ". There are tons of them.