• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Minimum number of throws per round to make the bag

I agree with how SD86 figures it out.

But this has to be over a few courses and conditions. Some courses I basically won't throw a straight or understable mid at all...other courses they could get 5 throws and be the obvious/only choice for that shot. Some days my overstable drivers barely get used, other days they get used on nearly all shots because of the wind, while the understable fairways don't get thrown.

Do I throw every single disc in my bag each round? Probably not...but I'm sure I throw every mold in my bag at least once. I don't always carry a xxx, but will throw one in the bag for super windy days where I don't even think a harp will be an overstable enough approach disc, and I'll take out a river because I know I won't be throwing a lot of flippy stuff.

I agree with how SD86 figures it out.

But this has to be over a few courses and conditions. Some courses I basically won't throw a straight or understable mid at all...other courses they could get 5 throws and be the obvious/only choice for that shot. Some days my overstable drivers barely get used, other days they get used on nearly all shots because of the wind, while the understable fairways don't get thrown.

I do like his line of reasoning on this one, but you're right, it can be course specific. On some of the courses I play regularly, I put 1-2 discs in just for 1 shot. Honestly, I tend to build a new bag for each different course I play, with only my Proxy, Envy, and Crave never changing.

Not really. Not excluding utility discs. I wouldnt call myself a mold minimalist, but i try to keep it concise. I tried building in 3's but I found that building my bag in 2's works better for my game. Not counting putting putters or utility discs: 2 putters (os/us), 2 mids (os/us), 2 us fairway, 2 os fairway, 2 us distance and 2 os distance. That leaves room for a roller, a meathook and 2 sister putters.

Do i throw all of those every round? No. But i never have to switch out discs for any course. The idea of never having to modify what i carry is a huge comfort zone for me. If i have my bag then ive got everything ill need. There is one instance that i might switch an us fairway for a starlite of the same disc for water shots. However, if my geographic location allowed for year round water, the starlite would just be permanent.

I keep discs that probably won't even get thrown in a couple rounds in the bag.

This is where I land... assuming I have my big bag. My 175g Champ Glow Whippet X doesn't fly very often but I'm glad she's in there when I need her.

On the flip-side of the question, I have recently been playing many more one disc rounds and UltraStar rounds. Any more than one well-chosen disc is unnecessary if your priority is to have fun. If your priority is the lowest score possible then its a different story.

I see guys in our extended group get destroyed by the wind because they do not carry a disc or two that are normally too overstable for them. My example is a Force. I have no busy using one for distance normally. Then we show up after a front blows in and the winds are strong and reversed. We get to a long downhill par 4 that is normally downwind, and all but maybe two of us have anything that won't turn over immediately and go into the woods on the right. But there's my Force looking up at me saying, "Put me in coach-I've been waiting patiently!" OK, that was a little corny.

I just keep the same bag/cart setup for everything. Easier than having to pick through my setup before every course, and you never know when you'll get that one weird lie...and you really wish you had that disc you left in the car.

I keep the same setup all the time for the most part. Makes it much easier to just grab my bag and go, regardless of course or conditions. I don't always throw them all, but I'm 20 minutes from any course and sometimes it's calm at home and windy at the course or vice versa. I'm a better to have and not need type of guy.

Minimum number of throws per round? Zero, I guess.

I have a Li'l Wiz catch disc that I use during warm-up that never gets thrown during a round.
I also keep a mini or 2 in my bag; if I throw those during a round then something has gone wrong. Same for my backup/practice putter.

I am incredibly anal about having three stabilities for each range, even if I would never need them. It makes me feel prepared. I very rarely use my 4 iron golfing, but I would feel stupid bagging 3i 5i-9i.

There are three courses in town.

I have my Ranger, with all of my discs. One course has a wide range of shots. Long and short, open and wooded, elevation and all that. Maybe even water if you suck. Good chance of me using all of them.

The next is a wooded course . A nice variety of shots, but doesn't require everything. I'll just bring my crunch box usually.

The next one is a school backyard pitch and putt. Comet and a putter.

Oh. In relation to the actual topic. In my Ranger I have 2-3 of each disc. Do I throw them all? No. Will I take any out? Nope.

I have finally figured out my basic required flights needed. I typically carry multiples of just a few molds, but I occasionally swap in or add something new to try out. Mainly to see if I can cover a certain shot with an easier-to-replace or better feeling disc. I have learned to keep my new discs tryouts mainly limited to the practice field and my scores appreciate it lol.

There are discs that dont get thrown more than once or twice a round in my bag. There are also a couple that are thrown less than once per round. Discs that handle a certain situation better than any other in my bag, but Im not often in that situation. I have a XXX for OH or FH flex shots to get out of a trouble area. Im not often in that position but I dont want to be without the sparkle opto XXX beef just in case. There are probably a couple more that are there for certain shots, or certain courses.

I don't think I've ever taken a disc out of my bag because it didn't get used. I'm always going to have every shot covered in my bag even if it is not one I use a lot. Only reason to remove a disc is if I find another one that does that shot better.

Right now, I use those slots for Discs I'm experimenting with. But I have left utility discs in the bag for long periods of time, that don't get thrown but once every few rounds. e.g.:

- Flick (Discraft), 175g Z, for Ultra overstable, C shaped shots.
- Phenom (Legacy) for Ultra understable. Hyzer flip, turnover shots and BH rollers.
- Epic as a joke...