• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] MINT Discs - Grackle

Why do companies try to figure out whatever isn't working for me, and then come out with new molds in that exact slot? My FD/Exodus that I throw for the straight with some fade fw slot seem to have randomly stopped working and I can't figure out why. The new DC Athena looks to be something similar to the Grackle as well, but no info on that one yet.

its definitely fast even though its a speed 7, ive been leaning on it a good bit , even for forehand shots with less fade than my proto phoenix. the new sublime grackles are dropping september 6th! theyre actually less stable than the nocturnals, theyre straighter and probably easier to manipulate for some than the noc is. heavy weight sublime are a smidge bit less stable than lower weights in sublime but both are straighter than the nocturnals.

Available at stores nationwide on Sept 6 at 10am cst.
Available in weights of 165g to 175g. Plus a ton of amazing colors.

Saw the sublime grackles in person at the north Austin play it again. This picture doesn't do justice to how awesome the stamp is.

Got mine on order! Can't wait to try the Sublimes out, the Nocturnals are flying great but I also have a nice and huge stack of Alphas so I'll probably just be bagging one for now. If the Sublimes fly a little straighter, I could see this ending up as my go-to fairway. I can throw speed 7 about 300' and most of the holes in our area are in the high 200's. Perfect match.

Ordered a sublime from infinite a few minutes ago. The nocturnal is definitely more stable out of the box than the numbers would suggest. Sample size of a handful of throws, but I'm liking it. That sublime plastic is amazing so I had to try one.

Got mine on order! Can't wait to try the Sublimes out, the Nocturnals are flying great but I also have a nice and huge stack of Alphas so I'll probably just be bagging one for now. If the Sublimes fly a little straighter, I could see this ending up as my go-to fairway. I can throw speed 7 about 300' and most of the holes in our area are in the high 200's. Perfect match.

definitely easier to throw and closer to the suggested numbers, the nocturnals came out a tick more high speed stable for sure.

7/5/0/2 nocturnal
7/5/-1/2 sublime

Ordered a sublime from infinite a few minutes ago. The nocturnal is definitely more stable out of the box than the numbers would suggest. Sample size of a handful of throws, but I'm liking it. That sublime plastic is amazing so I had to try one.

great to hear! hope you enjoy the sublime! itll pair well with the nocturnal

I bought a Glow Grackle today from my local pro shop. I had heard that it's a little more overstable in the glow plastic.

Grip and feel is good. No flashing or sharp edges. Not as grippy or gummy as champion color glow (my fav plastic), but maybe a hair grippier and gummier than Neutron/Apex.

Glow performance isn't quite as good as my Eclipse 2.0 Reactor, but it sustains the glow for a long time. If Champion color glow was a 4/10 in glow performance, and the Eclipse 2.0 a 10/10, then I'll give this an 8/10.

Rim measures in at 17.8mm, just like a Teebird/3. The inside of the rim might be a little plussy, as my micrometer didn't quite rest flat on it as well as the Teebird3 I was measuring. It definitely doesn't feel plussy like an Undertaker though. PLH is same height as a Teebird.

Flight wise, this are very Teebird like. I'd liken it to a Teebird after a couple months of seasoning. I'd rate as 7/5/-.25/2. It has the most miniscule amount of drift to it if thrown flat, and a solid fade at the end after pushing forward for a long ways. It's actually very similar in flight to my personal favorite, the Barela Color Glow Teebird3, which is a little more mellow compared to a traditional star Teebird.

The Glow Grackle is an amazing disc in flight, and also very good in glow performance.

I quickly scanned through the topic and noticed some people mentioning that this seems faster than a Teebird/3, but I don't really see it. Rim is the same width, and nose is slightly blunted. It's definitely more on the Teebird3 side of things than a Teebird, as the flight plate is a little flatter. which is why I think a Barela CG Teebird3 is its closest comparison.

Last edited:
I've got 2 sublime grackles on the way, supposed to arrive tomorrow, but probably won't get to throw them until next week! If these don't work for me, I'll just stick with my raptor/undertaker/jackalope fairway lineup.

is it me or is a sublime grackle a star firebird replacement? i actually like mine way more than a firebird and maybe its between a sexton and champion firebird but its pretty surprising how overstable it is.

I finally threw a Sublime Grackle. I think it's pretty close to the numbers-- flew like a broken-in Teebird that drifts some that has a healthy fade at the end. The cool thing about that particular type of disc is that it doesn't lose distance in excessive turn or drift, it just pushes forward for longer before it fades. It's a cool disc to temporarily put in place of a broken-in Teebird if you don't have a good Teebird cycle already set-up. The MVP Terra however I have found could be a Firebird replacement.

I finally threw a Sublime Grackle. I think it's pretty close to the numbers-- flew like a broken-in Teebird that drifts some that has a healthy fade at the end. The cool thing about that particular type of disc is that it doesn't lose distance in excessive turn or drift, it just pushes forward for longer before it fades. It's a cool disc to temporarily put in place of a broken-in Teebird if you don't have a good Teebird cycle already set-up. The MVP Terra however I have found could be a Firebird replacement.

you must throw 400-450+? all the teebirds ive had are very straight, grackle for me has zero turn and healthy fade id rate it 7/5/0/3.

buddy said the same thing about the freetail he got in sublime for a hyzer flip disc. he couldnt get his freetail to flipup and then tried my apex freetail and it flipped up fairly easily for him.

you must throw 400-450+? all the teebirds ive had are very straight, grackle for me has zero turn and healthy fade id rate it 7/5/0/3.

the nocturnal grackles I have remind me more of a champ glow banshee, and the sublime are a slightly worn in version of that. I throw more in the 375' range these days, and they were all a good bit more overstable than I was hoping for. Probably a good disc for many but not for me. As I'm getting a little older I'm not necessarily looking for discs I have to throw really hard to get the flight I want.

The Apex freetail that I have is a beautiful roller disc for me though, it's been a while since I have had that slot in my lineup and forgot how nice it is to have available.

buddy said the same thing about the freetail he got in sublime for a hyzer flip disc. he couldnt get his freetail to flipup and then tried my apex freetail and it flipped up fairly easily for him.

For me a good rip with a distance driver is right at 400 on flat ground. I throw Teebird like discs on average around 300-330. I'm never throwing them at full send though. Do you live at high elevation? That an make your Grackles fly more overstable. I live at 700', so everything flies more understable for me.

For me a good rip with a distance driver is right at 400 on flat ground. I throw Teebird like discs on average around 300-330. I'm never throwing them at full send though. Do you live at high elevation? That an make your Grackles fly more overstable. I live at 700', so everything flies more understable for me.

pretty sea level ish. i love the disc. it just flies for me kinda like champ/halo wraith, just shorter. i reached several times for it last round and it was so reliable. probably have to buy another since i bought it in dark blue, which i wouldnt normally do but it was 20% off and the only color

I'd agree with these flight numbers, though it's a small sample size.

Went to the local shop specifically looking for a Sublime Grackle. All of the discs they had looked like the stamping for the wording hard partially punched through the top of the disc. Then I talked to the worker and he got the rest of the stock from the back room, all of them seemed to be partially punched this way. You can tell the deepest ones by turning the disc over and looking on the unstamped side. I like that stamp, however if stamping the disc does this... I ended up leaving without purchasing one. Disappointed, I love my Jackalope and was hoping for something that I didn't have to muscle quite as much to get a forehand turn-over line...

Went to the local shop specifically looking for a Sublime Grackle. All of the discs they had looked like the stamping for the wording hard partially punched through the top of the disc. Then I talked to the worker and he got the rest of the stock from the back room, all of them seemed to be partially punched this way. You can tell the deepest ones by turning the disc over and looking on the unstamped side. I like that stamp, however if stamping the disc does this... I ended up leaving without purchasing one. Disappointed, I love my Jackalope and was hoping for something that I didn't have to muscle quite as much to get a forehand turn-over line...

I haven't seen that before, that's unfortunate. :thmbdown:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it would have worked for what you wanted anyhow. The Grackle is a tick slower than the Jack, but it's noticeably more stable. If anything, you'd need to give it a good bit more elbow grease to get it turning.

I had a nice day to throw (now that hockey season is over) and grabbed my 168 and 173 sublime grackles in the bag. I'm much more impressed with these discs than I was initially. Corrected some grip issues I was previously having that bothered me over the entire winter. Handles a good bit of power and will still try to fight back. Push both out to 350' fairly easily. Sneaky long for a 7 speed, I was putting them out right with my OLFs distance wise and placement and control of the flight was a bit easier. I'd rate it fairly close to a nice star eagle

Latest posts