• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mirage

discguy42

Double Eagle Member
Just got the 2016 Innova catalog in the mail and saw a new putter called:

Mirage!

Dont have the catalog in front of me but it was to come only in Star plastic, and be more understable than the Re-tooled Colt by numbers AND on their flight chart.

The numbers, ( trying to remember here ) a speed 3, glide ?, turn was negative 3 ( ? ) , and fade of ?

The (significantly) understable putter is a hard kind of disc to come by. Innova is already one of the few manufacturers to come out with one, and they have the Sonic and Wedge. I think Lat64 has one in lightweight only as a beginner friendly disc. I have both a Sonic and a Wedge and I bag the Wedge for anny approaches. The one thing about the Wedge is that it is so domey and has such a shallow rim that it is awkward to grip and throw. I would love a disc that is just as understable but easier to throw. If anyone can post a pic of the details on this disc in the catalog I'd love to see it.

From that link:

Mirage
approach
Flight characteristics Understable
Produced around 1985-1987
PDGA Approval date Not approved

Detailed informatio
Height 1,8 cm
Rim depth 1,4 cm
Inside rim diameter 19,2 cm
Rim thickness 0,9 cm

Notes:
Innova model based on the Aviar, basically a beadless Aviar molded in a plastic that shrink much more than the original Dx-plastic. Not approved by the PDGA cause of the 20,8cm diameter. The (Aviar) Mirage was Innova's first venture into the retail market, circa late '84 or early '85. They where a least 4 different versions. The first version has the original artwork, which lacked the thin outside ring, the offset lines on the inside ring above the horizon line, and the lines or graded screen inside the letters. It also is engraved with the large Patent Pending. This and the two subsequent designs were never sold to the public. After the 1st version was viewed by Tim S. & Dave D., they decided that it needed more. To the art was added the thin outside ring, the offset lines (longer version) on the inside ring above the horizon line, and the lines inside the letters. 1st and 2nd version where all light weight,105- 112grams, no bead and a large patent pending engraving. The 3rd version, which had no visible artwork changes was stamped on the patent numbered beadless Aviar. The 4th and final version was also patent numbered, but featured shorter offset lines as well as dots instead of lines inside the word "Mirage".

The (significantly) understable putter is a hard kind of disc to come by. Innova is already one of the few manufacturers to come out with one, and they have the Sonic and Wedge. I think Lat64 has one in lightweight only as a beginner friendly disc. I have both a Sonic and a Wedge and I bag the Wedge for anny approaches. The one thing about the Wedge is that it is so domey and has such a shallow rim that it is awkward to grip and throw. I would love a disc that is just as understable but easier to throw. If anyone can post a pic of the details on this disc in the catalog I'd love to see it.

Have you tried a Summit?

In the link I posted it has an almost profile pic, and it looks from the small bead and full rim that it could be a VTech disc. It definitely seems Innova's goal with this is to make a more comfortable understable putter than their current offerings for that slot.
Hmm... did a quick google search and yup: http://dgustore.com/index.php/womens-global-event-star-mirage.html

But I did a search on the approved discs list and it's not there. Guessing it'll have to make it on there before the event.

Here is a not so good phone pic from the catalog...sorry it is sideways, dont know how to fix that :eek:.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 142
Haven't tried one but the different flight charts/ratings I've seen put it as more of a -1 turn, which is pretty common for an "understable" putter.

The Summit is very understable and quite low profile. Flight charts are far from gospel and should always be taken with several grains of salt.

I can't really imagine a less stable Colt being a very useful disc.

Lol
Come on bro.

You're on the forums, do some research! Summit is hella understable.
Honestly I've read the Summit thread and it's mixed. People aren't exactly detailed so there is some guesswork. I watched a video on it and it didn't seem that understable... Only showed it going straight, actually. Some people explicitly said it only has slight turn. Many people were saying it is dead straight. Just didn't seem like a surefire pick.

Wow, seems like an understable DarT! I use a 400 Pa4 and love it, I imagine this will just be glideier and more US. Cool cool, always excited for new discs

Latest posts