• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mirage

And I hope they'll have production Mirage runs, as well. Time will tell..
On the first run release update, dealer.innovadiscs.com reads "25 disc limit - stock coming soon." Based on that we're going to have a production run this year.

On the first run release update, dealer.innovadiscs.com reads "25 disc limit - stock coming soon." Based on that we're going to have a production run this year.

That's what they said about the Star Stud, too. Still no production run, so far. Yes, they may still have that production run, and I very much hope they do. My point is that it's not a certainty, especially if the Mirage gets less than favorable reviews.

First person to get their hands on one of these better post some good pics AND give us a review too!

I really want to see a good profile shot.

It's a Wedge with a slightly shallower, beaded rim. Diameter and shape are otherwise identical. Basically they put a new hat on Malibu Stacey to sell more units.

It's a Wedge with a slightly shallower, beaded rim. Diameter and shape are otherwise identical. Basically they put a new hat on Malibu Stacey to sell more units.

It could be a Wedge top, I didn't compare them side by side. For sure a different bottom though like you say. Little bit wider rim too. Not as small feeling.

picked up a couple star FR's, max weight.

very shallow rim. Love the bead as I throw rocs and judges so it's a tolerable shallow rim. Feels very similar to the wedge. mild to moderate dome, none I saw were flat but none were pop top. I LOVE flat discs but these don't bother me. It's a bit of a stretch calling it a putter, I'd say it's more of a small diameter mid and boy does it goooooo.....

I am a medium power player (280-300' teebird, 250-275 roc, maybe 330 tops with a destroyer).

Played a 1 disc round at my local all woods course. Tight gaps, tough lines and some longer holes mixed with shorties. little to no wind. Star plastic held up great, looks almost new after one round with all shots taken with just this disc.

This thing is UNDER. STABLE. Like, crazy understable. Only thing I can compare it to would be my current super flippy mid, a worn in 2001 DX stingray (it was new-old stock when I got it late last year. so, only 6 months old really). Now, that might sound completely useless, but that Stingray does magical shots that no other disc can do, period.

First hole is 275', right to left with a weird early kink in the fairway. the shot is a flippy disc on a sharp hyzer, let it pop up and glide after the turn. I throw the Mirage with as much hyzer as I can (probably 45 degrees) and it pops up and goes straight, then starts turning slightly right just a couple feet to finish pin high but 40 feet right. So, 275 with a "putter."

the next few holes I am shocked at how damn far it goes. 250-300+, but you neeeeeed to hyzer flip it. But once you get the angle down, it reliably hits the lines every time. Touch shots went long now and then, but I could see getting used to it and dialing it in to be very useful. It will go VERY far with the right throw.

the main reason I got it was 75-200' 'touch' shots that went left to right guaranteed, even if I needed to toss it with a little hyzer because of stance or line. And, this is where the Mirage excels. I threw about 10 upshots or short drives with it in this range, choosing left to right lines I might normally avoid just to try it out, and each time it HELD that L to R line to the ground. beautiful.

It's a fantastic uphill driver. just put a lot of hyzer on it, pound the hell out of it aiming high, and it gooooooesssss. Parked a VERY uphill 200' hole that I would normally throw an old beat up TL on just to make the distance uphill; Mirage ran the basket.

What does it suck at? I'd imagine windy days. Also, you'd think it would be OK for straight shots with some hyzer, but all of the dead straight short shots I tried slowly drifted to the right. Not far offline, but not the line. It's tough to point and shoot, run a basket. For actual putting it was mediocre, obviously star plastic isn't great for putting.

picked up a couple star FR's, max weight. ....

Thanks for the review. Sounds like an interesting disc. The Mirage's cousin, the Star Colt, also gets impressive distance for its flight ratings (I've thrown the Colt 260 ft. on a dead-straight flight before). After your review, if I hear more good reviews, I might have to check out the Mirage for myself.

Just ordered one from Marshall St today and should have it to test by Thursday as I am on vacation until
Saturday of this week :D.

Thanks for the review Aubin, this looks like the right turning, longer approaching, disc I am looking for.

Last edited:
Got to test my Star Mirage today. I ordered a 172 and was subbed ( unknown to me ) a 175. No biggie it is only 3 grams.

This disc is very shallow to be considered a putter, it would be shallow for a mid as well. This seems to be more mid than putter or what I would call a tweener for sure.

My first impression was pretty good as I have never bought/tried a disc that was rated that understable with a zero fade. I was throwing it powered down at first and it was tracking straight with some fade, next few throws were a little stronger with a straight no fade flight, I will say the glide seems higher that the listed 4.

Then I started to get the hang of it, when thrown flat with some power it comes out straight and starts to turn right (RHBH) and continue that path till it finishes with a nice no-fade landing.

The funny thing was that at first I was trying to get it to turn right by throwing it Anhyzer and I went right but as it slowed down it faded back to the left? What? I had to throw it flat and watch the disc work its right turn/no fade magic.

I think I can learn/work with this disc, as I mentioned earlier I am looking for that right turning disc to help me with my non-existent FH game.

Another update!

This thing is a great disc and I am finding it being used more for a mid that the putter that it is supposed to be.

Crazy straight and has effortless glide, I will say that it should be rated a 5 verses the stock 4 in that department. So much that ranging it at first was touchy, I would easily over throw it, even on a lower power shot.

Great feeling disc in the hand, feels shallow but you can power grip it easily AND it releases very clean.

I has been in my bag for a bit now and it gets used several times a round mostly for approaches but I did use it on some longer powered up throws today as well with some nice results.

So now my mid/approaching setup is: Opto Claymore, Proto DX Colt, Star Mirage. Yes, I only bag one mid.

Also I will reveal my Duh moment :doh: and admit I got mine from Marshall ST as you know their slogan, "We weigh every disc". My weight was not subbed it was penned 175 and they Weighed it in at 172...:doh::doh::doh:. Sorry Marshall St. :eek:.

I'd had no intention of getting a Mirage, as I didn't think I had need for a very understable approach disc. However, I was at a store and there was a first-run-star Mirage at a discount price to even online prices, and I decided not to pass up the opportunity. I took the Mirage to the range and then bagged it for a round today. Here's what I've found so far:

1. As someone previously posted, this thing is glidey! It definitely carries and sails on you. For example: I had a shot about 120 ft. out that would have to come from under some tree canopy of about 7 ft. off the ground. I made a standstill throw at 50% (if that) power. The Mirage flew very straight, right at the basket, and looked to me like it had parked. When I got up to the basket, I was shocked to see the disc 25 feet past the basket (and it was grass all around; I don't think it skipped all that much). On a later shot of about 80 ft., I threw the Colt 'for the record', then threw the Stud and Mirage. The Stud parked even closer than the Colt. The Mirage went right at the basket... then sailed clean over it, and would've been a 20-25 ft. comebacker.

2. Lest you think the story is all bad, it's not. The Mirage was actually a very useful disc on some shots where an anny/understable shot was needed. There is one hole that is 220 ft., downhill and curves right. Sometimes I hit my Opto Pure or Lucid Judge 'just right' on the line and park it, but if I don't hit just that line, chances of a birdie diminish greatly. I used the Mirage on the shot today, and it turned over nicely and was about 10 ft. from the basket. And I felt like I didn't have to work to hit "just that line', just a nice 'attenton to form' throw and put it downrange, and let the disc get the work done.

Also, I posted previously about learning rollers because of a particular shot on a hole with a lake to the left and a tunnel shot. (BTW, my forehand is getting better, but at this place I'd prefer an anny shot that doesn't skip so much.) I had exactly that lie and threw the Mirage, again letting it do it's anny/turnover work without trying to 'hit the line' or force anything. Mirage turned over nicely, and while it did cut roll just a bit on landing, it was still about 15 ft. from the basket and I made that putt.

So all in all, I'm warming up to the Mirage as a disc that might just have a niche spot in the bag, especially on certain courses where a turnover approach is useful.

I'm liking the Mirage a lot after my initial skepticism. I mentioned it's similar to the Wedge, and as an understable putter it basically is the same disc. I can't throw a forehand so the flippy mid/putter slot is pretty crucial for my shorter range get-out-of-trouble shots. In those situations the two discs are interchangeable.

The advantage with the Mirage is for longer range straight/slight right upshots, where I'd often reach for a straight mid. It's definitely not as flippy as the Wedge at high power. Just messing around today on a long downhill straight hole, I ripped a hyzer flip at max power and the thing was headed for 350' until it hit a tree. What I found interesting was the gradual turn. The Wedge would've sailed way off to the right on a throw like that. Over the weekend at the IDGC in Appling I parked a 250' anny drive right next to the basket. There was a tree straight ahead and the basket was downhill right. I threw it maybe 70% power flat and the disc turned so nice and gradual, floated down toward the target with zero fade at the end.

I'll be experimenting with powered down hyzer flips to see if I can use it consistently in the straight mid slot. I like what I see so far.

Any word on the mirage being released in other plastics? I'm a little surprised they went right for Star plastic over GStar. I guess this means they're not phazing out star, at least.

I would love a pro or DX mirage, believe it or not.

Any word on the mirage being released in other plastics? I'm a little surprised they went right for Star plastic over GStar. I guess this means they're not phazing out star, at least.

I'm also a little surprised the Mirage is out in Star but not other plastics, but that's not a complaint as I like Star plastic myself. The Stud came out in XT, and the Colt has been out in DX and XT, so I'd expect the Mirage to come out in other plastics over time.

As to those other plastics: a DX Mirage may wear in too quickly to become so understable as to be nearly unusable. I would guess we might see the Mirage in Champion plastic soon, but that's just a guess.

One other note: the Mirage is really more like an understable mid than an approach disc, so far does it glide. It replaced the Prodigy M4 in my bag.

I'm also a little surprised the Mirage is out in Star but not other plastics, but that's not a complaint as I like Star plastic myself. The Stud came out in XT, and the Colt has been out in DX and XT, so I'd expect the Mirage to come out in other plastics over time.

As to those other plastics: a DX Mirage may wear in too quickly to become so understable as to be nearly unusable. I would guess we might see the Mirage in Champion plastic soon, but that's just a guess.

One other note: the Mirage is really more like an understable mid than an approach disc, so far does it glide. It replaced the Prodigy M4 in my bag.

Most definitely. I'd love to try it in any pro plastic but R-Pro.

Sorry for the year-long bump on this, but I just noticed a couple of my go-to online retailers have recently stocked DX Mirages.

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=1075&PPQT1=19

https://www.dzdiscs.com/featured/ne...nnova-new-releases/ghost-stamp-dx-mirage.html

LMAO @ me using the Mirage as an understable mid last year.

I still bag it for utility understable approaches but use it pretty rarely. If I had any FH at all I'd get rid of it.