• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold minimalism and over marketing?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Don't get me wrong, I respect the idea of mold minimalism. I've even applied the idea in other sports as a means of improving my overall game once I got to a certain plateau.

But it seems way oversold. I get whiffs of "direct marketing" from posts that push it.

"Just play with only 4 molds and ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED. If it isn't working for you you are just doing it wrong. No one any good ever played with more than 6 molds."

Meanwhile Simon Lizotte talks about how he throws completely different molds based on the course. Danny Lindahl talks about two different approaches (he phrases it as "you do the work" vs. "let the disc do the work").

I'm not trying to start a flame war. And I actually look forward to when my Compass beats in to be turnover disc and I'll ditch what I have in that slot and I buy a second Compass. I imagine this may happen with other discs as well.

However, as a new player, I'd like to actually play the game, rather than spend all of my time frustrated, instead of only half of my time frustrated. If I need to throw a turnover shot, I don't see how I do that with a new Roc. I'm going to need an understable disc.

Maybe you would have me throw 3 100 foot putter shots, IDK. I'm not averse to laying up, but then what I am led to believe is that I'm somehow going to be able to throw that shot with a non-beat in Roc by "controlling the angle". I don't see how that turns into anything other than a flex shot. (Not picking on the Roc, it just seems like the go to example.)

Here is where I think people tell me to buy a beat in Roc. I don't see that as available out in the market. People don't seem to sell their seasoned Rocs, rather they seem to value them like gold or other precious metals.

Plus, the idea of having a seasoned Pro Roc doesn't seem really any different to me than just buying an understable disc to begin with. It stops being about "controlling the angle", doesn't it? You are using the right disc to get the flight you want.

So, what do you find valid about what I am saying? What am I getting wrong?

It's completely personal preference. My personal preference is buy discs in the speed/stability that works for the lines I want to throw. I used to carry Buzzz's only for mids in different levels of wear, teebirds, thunderbirds and wraiths, 3-4 of each disc. I lost my super flippy wraith and then lost my flippy thunderbird so I started just replacing them with discs made to fly a certain way, much easier to replace and I don't have to worry about hitting up someone for a beat in Wraith nowadays where they want $60 because it's a "super rare antique disc". /s

I did it for the feel. I want my mids, fairways and drivers to feel similar in the hand instead of say a sidewinder vs a Nuke feel. I still do it with the Buzzz but I also carry a rat since I wanted something not so Buzzz OS overstable and a little shorter.

First 2 years playing, I bought an absurd number of discs. Through trial & error over many rounds, I've settled on the lineup in my sig which has changed very little in three years. Only major tweak recently is adding 150 class Shrykes for more distance. Other than that, I'm not interested in any new molds. My form & dedication to practice are the difference makers, not some magical new disc. I sometimes cave to new plastics or limited edition stamps, for molds I already throw.

I dont get what's so difficult about having various molds. There are several discs that i literally threw once and knew and felt what they do and they went into the bag right away.

Even mold minimalist extraordinaire has 10 Rocs and has to compare them to figure out which one is the flippiest etc.

I think its personal preferene, but either way you have to throw your plastic to know it.

This topic can certainly do it. It won't be the same without SD taking offense though.

What juke said, you do you.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure S'ingD's86 is off getting offended in some chess forum somewhere or nursing a hangover from his RNC watch party or something.

*gets argumentative*

Sure it has, poser! ;)

giphy.gif

Play your game and don't worry about what other people throw or do. That's the great thing about this sport you can play it however you like. Don't let someone else gatekeep you from doing something different from them. Chris Dickerson and Nikko carry a ton of molds and I'm pretty sure they are doing just fine.

Well, not a flame war at the moment, but not what I intended.

"You do you" is always valid, but I was looking for a more general exploration of the topic. For instance, on the topic of non mold-minimalism, I completely agree that there isn't a magic disc for people out there, and buying new discs can definitely turn into a search for a magic disc.

I was looking for some introspective commentary from those who understand or embrace minimalism. I'm not feeling browbeaten into embracing it or anything like that.

I still don't understand how this is "direct marketing"?

Who is marketing what?

Are you confused, or just don't know what that term means?

The original point of mold minimalism and cycling is for new players to improve and learn how discs fly.

If you can master a few molds and learn how they break in (and how that affects flight), then you can branch off to bagging many different molds.

I still don't understand how this is "direct marketing"?

Who is marketing what?

It's simple, you buy a Roc, then you get two of your friends to buy Rocs, and you get a percentage of those purchases. They then get two friends each to buy them and you get a percentage of that percentage and so on. Everybody wins!!!

It's simple, you buy a Roc, then you get two of your friends to buy Rocs, and you get a percentage of those purchases. They then get two friends each to buy them and you get a percentage of that percentage and so on. Everybody wins!!!

Sounds like a recipe for a lot of perfectly good rocs in used bins. I'm in.