• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MOLF Revisited

Fritz said:
For now I'm going to stick with my Sirius OLF instead, and a QOLF if I can find one, nobody seems to want to give these up...
There's a few on eBay.

As far as the MOLF goes, I've been very pleased with mine. After about two weeks of throwing it my max D went up about 30-40', and I'm still not very consistent, so I'm expecting that to rise in the future. I really can't wait until it breaks in.

i also found that the MOLF didn't have more distance than the SOLF. It didn't give me anything over the SOLF to keep it in my bag

Here is my take on these discs…

I originally tried the SOLF after being told how great it was on this board.

At first I thought it was great, but after a few rounds it was becoming obvious to me that the disc was just too squirrelly at high speed and faded way too much to be very long. It was kind of like throwing a beat in DX Eagle DX or a 150 Champ Eagle, it was certainly not the Teebird that I had been promised. Especially comparing this disc to a premium plastic Eagle or Teebird, it was way flippy. It might flip, it might not, but it would fade like a mother which stopped it from being uber long, and it seemed to be trajectory sensitive. I did not see any advantage to living with all of this weird behavior without the glide of the Eagle or the HS consistency of a Teebird.

Also, I was not real impressed with the toughness of the Sirrius plastic. It was tacky and felt awesome, but only marginally better than Pro in the way it beat in. IMHO, the Sirrius has too much Pro type plastic (or soft putter plastic) in the mix for long term good disc wear, especially if you throw pretty hard.

So, I dropped the SOLF completely and went back to Surges, Orcs, Wraiths, etc.

I was throwing domey Surges, Star Orcs and domey ESP Flashes and working with a First Run bar stamp SOLF. This disc was way better than the later SOLF. The plastic was more like STAR and less like Sirrius. I actually liked this disc a lot, it flew like a good Orc and the wing was smaller. The disc showed no real signs of wear just like I see with the good Star discs. This disc was domey, compared to the super flat SOLF's of the later runs, I believe that was *BY FAR* the defining factor of why it was more consistent. This was definitely true for the Surge, Wraith, TRX, and Orc, all of which had super flat early runs and domey later runs. The early flattened runs turn over more and are inconsistent in performance when the wind starts to blow especially (even worse after break in). The later domey runs of these discs are infinitely more consistent in bad conditions, and fade less at the end of the glide. So, they turn over less in HS and fade less in LS, are better in the wind, which means *THEY ARE STRAIGHTER AND GLIDE MORE* (feel free to compare the First Run ESP Surge to the later Surges, or a First Run Star Wraith to a 12x Wraith which behave just as I described).

I tried the MOLF.

In the thin summer air, you could really let the air out of this thing. I threw a few huge high bombs. As the air thickened up, it just got flippy as crap. More flippy than the SOLS which was interesting. BTW, try not to hit any trees…or the ground much…or throw it nose down ever again after you hit a tree real hard. Can you say DX Orc? I set mine on the hood of my truck and it looked like a tortilla chip after a few tree collisions. This disc needs a lot more dome also and the dome could be thickened. With more dome, it would be a better discs IMHO. This disc is great for lower power players BTW. Thrown a little nose up with medium power it is very forgiving and long.

In fact, the SOLF in regular shiny Star plastic (or Destroyer blend even) with a very domey top would be the *best* long range, general purpose, straight flying disc golf disc on the market. No doubt in my mind at all. This disc design is one of the MISSING LINKS of disc design. It has big wing disc performance with a small wing. It just needs a little tweaking…

The other "missing link" is the SOLS. I am constantly impressed by the performance of this disc. I thought I lost one of my SOLS the other day, because I was looking in the wrong spot. Throwing in a very slight downwind open hole I stacked my two Destroyers at about 410'. I looked all over for my SOLS… I looked… then I found it 40 feet past my Destroyers!!! I was not looking PAST my Destroyers (even though I should have known not to underestimate the SOLS). I like the SOLS distance throw better, I just spin snap it hard with a "normal" 20 degree hyser and high, it goes out, turns, glides and fades. If the disc is getting flippy, THROW IT EVEN HIGHER!!! It is really kind of fun…

The SOLS is my distance disc. The SOLF is my medium headwind Distance disc. But my main driver of choice is the SOLS for that exact reason. I'm also really liking the SJLS. In fact I had my longest drive ever with it on Hole #5 @ Palisades Riverbend Park. I put it 10 feet from the deep position. Distance to deep pin is 380' and just to give you an idea of what Hole #5 @ Palisade looks like check it out: Extremely tight hole:

palisadehole5.gif

how does the SOLS compare to the mols?

i have a beat up 171mols for long turnovers and rollers
a new 175 mols for max d that will be my roller when it beats in enough

I would like to try the sols in hopes that it would stay at a hyzerflip bomb flight characteristic for a while

and after readign fritz's post
how does the sjls compare to star tl

uNicedmeMan said:

I would like to try the sols in hopes that it would stay at a hyzerflip bomb flight characteristic for a while

The SOLS and MOLS fly the same when relatively new. The MOLS beats in maybe 20 times faster than the SOLS. In fact, the SOLS beats in at the correct rate.... It will beat in but it is linear.

I would say the SJLS and Star TL are very close. I wish they made a JLS-X... Just a TICK more stability would be sweet.

Bradley Walker said:
uNicedmeMan said:

The SOLS and MOLS fly the same when relatively new. The MOLS beats in maybe 20 times faster than the SOLS. In fact, the SOLS beats in at the correct rate.... It will beat in but it is linear.

I would say the SJLS and Star TL are very close. I wish they made a JLS-X... Just a TICK more stability would be sweet.

Yea, that's what I was thinking.

Bradley Walker said:
I was throwing domey Surges, Star Orcs and domey ESP Flashes and working with a First Run bar stamp SOLF. This disc was way better than the later SOLF.

Whoa, I thought all of them currently out were really first run. Paging ZAMson!

I've never seen any differences in mold, feel, plastic, or flight from any SOLF.

The only thing I can think of is that the bar stamps depress the dome less.

I hate Millenium's all-over-the-disc stamps (no offense ZAMson).

The Millennium Stamps are easy to remove, they are actually the easiest of the bunch.

Discraft stamps are a bitch to remove.

Innova are semi easy, but if the stamp is black, GOOD LUCK!
:lol:

My MOLS's beat in at a reasonable rate. In my mind they are supposed to be understable. They dont beat into "too" understable for a really long time and then they are AWESOME max D, huge turnover and roller discs. I dont use them as my workhorse driver either...but I do throw them in the woods a lot. I also throw max weight. Imo, the SOLS doesnt have near the glide of the MOLS.

Just a note about the above post: In my experience the star TL is a lot more stable than the SJLS.

All things considered equal, more concave = more stable.

Latest posts