• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Holes Played in 24 Hours

The lengths of the holes Mike played were listed in the crawl on the live video. They were, in feet: 128, 84, 61, 81, 94, 79, 97, 82, and 105. That's an average of a shade over 90 feet per hole.

Looks like the final tally was 3105 holes, with 20 aces. Not bad work.

As someone who has held this record before, the satipulation was that it needs to be a permenant course that is recognized by the governing body, so on the course list on the PDGA directory.
This is one hell of an effort, and all the props to him in the world. I know what he is going through physically. However, this sort of creates a slippery slope if we are able to play temporary courses, as we could make the course like 10' holes since no sane person would do that for a permenant course.
I'm curious if he is going through Guinness, I know the guy who beat my record with 1920 holes, did not go through Guinness, but it's still accepted as being the best at one point.

The course used IS a permanent course, listed in the PDGA Course Directory: Pyramids Pink.

I am a former record holder (2010) and the official record keeper for "The Most Holes Played in 24 Hours".
The records can be found at DG Resources.

Over the years I have had discussions with WFDA's representative, Dan "Stork" Roddick, about the parameters for this record.

(P.S.- I still hold the distinction of being the oldest player to set this record. Age 51 at the time.)

I'm simply pointing out, mes amigos, that the slope has begun to get slippery.

Holes were added to make it a 9 hole course instead of a 6 hole course.
Exactly. I'm surprised that that doesn't disqualify it for consideration from the Guinness people. But then again - I'm just plain not a fan of this record in general as its evolved. I wish there'd been a minimum-hole-length requirement put in place long ago. I mean... 90 feet per hole? It is a record that has become somewhat disconnected from actually playing golf. It's more a test of who can find the shortest layout and keep moving, without emphasis on the ability to throw a shot with any measure of skill beyond rudimentary. An ultra-runner could likely shatter the record with maybe a week of practice with a couple of putters.

I am a former record holder (2010) and the official record keeper for "The Most Holes Played in 24 Hours".
The records can be found at DG Resources.

Over the years I have had discussions with WFDA's representative, Dan "Stork" Roddick, about the parameters for this record.

(P.S.- I still hold the distinction of being the oldest player to set this record. Age 51 at the time.)
To my eyes - at least it is Mike himself taking the current title. As looking at that list he's probably the last person to have actually set it on a layout requiring some skill throwing the disc (I can't claim to know exactly where the boundary should be, but over 150 feet seems a good place to my own mind).

I applaud what Mike Laterreur has accomplished. I have often told people that this record is simple: all you have to do is walk at top speed for 24 hours straight to log 50-65 or more miles, while throwing discs. Oh, and prepare all of the logistical support too. Mike L has done a worthy feat (that takes its toll on the feet)!

To my eyes - at least it is Mike himself taking the current title. As looking at that list he's probably the last person to have actually set it on a layout requiring some skill throwing the disc (I can't claim to know exactly where the boundary should be, but over 150 feet seems a good place to my own mind).
I noted in my post above that I thought the last Mike to hold the record "legit in my eyes" was still holding it... my bad, I didn't realize that this was a different Mike going for it. I apologize.

I applaud what Mike Laterreur has accomplished. I have often told people that this record is simple: all you have to do is walk at top speed for 24 hours straight to log 50-65 or more miles, while throwing discs. Oh, and prepare all of the logistical support too. Mike L has done a worthy feat (that takes its toll on the feet)!
The logistics are the tough part... I had wanted to make a run at it at about the same time Mike Sale made his 1300+ run. I'm convinced I could hit 1500+ on a course averaging 150... But I absolutely could not organize the support crew. I still can't - I barely organized 4 people to help me move a pool table last weekend. All props in the world to absolutely anybody who can organize crews of people, it is beyond my talents.

I needed my daily reminder that people on the internet can argue about anything. In disc golf circles, length seems to really strike a nerve.

I needed my daily reminder that people on the internet can argue about anything. In disc golf circles, length seems to really strike a nerve.
Like I said - it matters here because when holes are under 100 feet you remove the disc golf skill aspect from the record. Train up a decent ultra-runner for a week with a few putters and this record gets owned as long as we can use holes under 100 feet.

I think Chris Woj has a point... at some point, this becomes the DG equivalent of putt putt. When people ask me about DG, I describe the line shaping aspect of the game and explain that it entails working over/around obstacles.

While I applaud the sheer stamina, individual, and team efforts involved, the most runs at this record have been boiled down essentially a couple of aspects of the game; upshots and putts. While they are important aspects of the game, outside of this specific context, no experienced player would say "this is indicative of the game."

If the holes are going to pint sized, maybe they should at least go to Bullseye type baskets.

I'm simply pointing out, mes amigos, that the slope has begun to get slippery.

I agree adding more holes into an already existing course it's gets so slippery.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=6442 Here is my course. There is about a 150' walk from hole 9 to tee 1. I would have loved to added an extra basket in between that, but that wouldn't have played the course as it was designed.

Again, I'm not bashing this. It's a tremendous feat to anyone who does. I just don't want this slope to get more slippery than it already is.

The lengths of the holes Mike played were listed in the crawl on the live video. They were, in feet: 128, 84, 61, 81, 94, 79, 97, 82, and 105. That's an average of a shade over 90 feet per hole.

Looks like the final tally was 3105 holes, with 20 aces. Not bad work.
I tip my cap to him!

FYI, and because it is an amazing feat and Marty did an amazing job of putting this video together. I got a little chill just starting it again. Def watch it all the way to the end.

I have to say the Tiki course looks très cool and fun as hell! There are obstacles, trees for bad kicks, line shaping. The holes may be short, but it's still DG... a great choice for making a run at this record.

For the math geeks out there...

The total tee to pin distance for all of his holes played was 53 miles.

90.1 average feet per hole.

1 hole every 28 seconds.

This whole time I didn't know we were talking about Sale.

Jeez... Glad to see that he's doing well :thmbup:

Latest posts