• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Isolated Course

Touché sir. While I do realize there are no straight lines on the surface of "not quite a sphere because it's flatter at the poles, but probably close enough to approximate one for our purposes," I was just trying to determine how much difference there was between the shortest distance and driving distance (which for all intents and purposes is more practical since most of us can't take a helicopter from course to course). So if you wanted to bag Buena Vista and another course, you have to drive at least 145 miles, because 102 wouldn't get you to another course. IMO, Buena Vista's more remote than UM Northern, because you have to drive 32 miles farther to get to the closest course. I'm just looking at the question from a practical standpoint.

Driving distance would be more practical. I don't know of a way to easily generate driving distances. That's why my list is just a place to start.

On another note about practicality, the original post was about which course is farthest from any other course. An interesting, but practically useless question.

Two similar, more practical, questions that might come to mind when talking about isolation are:

Where is the worst place to be a disc golfer (meaning the place where it is hardest to get to courses)?

and

Which course would have the most trouble drawing players (because of being far from population)?

Also, meaningless things like listing 27 holes as a combination of an 18-hole course and a 9-hole course, or the presence of a single little course (like that practice area in AZ), or listing alternative layouts for a course, can make a course score very low on the isolation measure used in this thread.

Latest posts