• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

most over hyped and disappointed ?

My biggest disappointment so far has been a Champion Eagle 175. Could not do anything but have it make a hard early left turn. It is likely to be me. I gave it to my son.

I know it's been beloved for generations, but personally the Aviar is the biggest personal disappointment. I did a time on the course really trying to give it a chance, but it just never seemed to be a good fit for me. The other thing again to echo is the R-Pro plastic. My R-Pro boss and from what I seen with the putters - they get dinged up faster than the DX plastic. The groove has been average for me, which I guess could be considered a disappointment since it was hyped as the second coming.

You know what I like about the R-Pro plastic? It beats in so quickly I would have to replace the disc every month. :confused: I guess it's good for new players so I shouldn't knock it too much, but I have no plans of throwing that crap.

You know what would be cool though? If they started scenting the discs. Yeah, make it smell like something manly, like plywood. Then I would continue to not throw R-Pro discs and get a nice laugh at Innova's expense.

While you are correct about people being frustrated with discs beyond their skill level, it is different when the manufacturer marketed the discs as for "the rest of us". I know the Boss is certainly an advanced disc, but Innova marketed the Groove as distance for everyone else. I think there would be a lot of less disappointed Groove owners if it was marketed to big arms only. Then all of us weenie arms that got one would have only ourselves to blame, not Innova.

...not really gonna defend the Groove that much (I'm a Discraft kind of guy) but the Groove IS like the Boss for the "rest of us". Although I see it as a more powerful and faster Monarch. If you have technique down you can throw the Groove. Another problem I see is many MANY people choose max weight discs when in fact they should be throwing much lighter discs. Pick up a 166 Groove and try that. Also don't forget that the disc needs to break in a bit.

For me it is definitely the Putt'r.

what a piece of ****.
I'm with you on that one.

My other one is the Illusion. It was supposed to be more of an understable complement to the Spirit but it's just a speed-overstable driver that gets squirrley when it beats up.

I keep a Groove in my bag just to throw one shot with it per round on my home course.

Being mainly a FH thrower, I throw the Groove sidearm, outside edge slighty up with the nose down, and it will anny for about the first 150' to the left, level out and then fade slightly to the right. If I really get the shot off clean, it will normally go around 375 feet.

It works great on long dogleg left holes.

Woodpecker

I thought my Groove was a turd when I first got it. It would go about about 250 and just dive left. Luckily there is a local course that requires that shot 3 times on a 9 hole course. After awhile, it just started holding line longer. Now it is my go-to disk for 325-350 headwind drives.

My biggest disappointment was the XD. I was (still am) looking for a low-profile putter. I have resorted to using either my FLX Buzzz or DX Spider. I like the feel of the Buzzz except for the diameter.

Champion Boss...definitely. I like the R-Pro Boss because it makes me feel strong:)
I'm also going to be an oddball and throw out the Wizard. I know that I am vastly in the minority on this one....I love the Warlock, Magic, and am so-so on the Voodoo...but the Wizard just hasn't worked for me....

While you are correct about people being frustrated with discs beyond their skill level, it is different when the manufacturer marketed the discs as for "the rest of us". I know the Boss is certainly an advanced disc, but Innova marketed the Groove as distance for everyone else. I think there would be a lot of less disappointed Groove owners if it was marketed to big arms only. Then all of us weenie arms that got one would have only ourselves to blame, not Innova.
Considering how many unskilled players I see throwing both these discs, but particularly the Boss (yes, the Star and Champ ones), I'd say the bigger part of the blame in this equation is the stupidity of the disc golf consumer base. But that's what happens when you market "badass" to an under 25 male who thinks he's got to have the hottest gadget around, whether it be something for his car, his computer, or a golf disc.

I really can't blame Innova for capitalizing on that when you've got a never ending supply of testosterone laden boys who seem to have this fantasy that because they're throwing a Boss, eventually there's gonna be a Innova rep coming along with a suitcase full of cash, a sponsorship offer, and two buxom blondes (twins!) who will take him into the woods and do all sorts of libidinous things to him after they see how FARRRRRRR he can throw that Boss (never mind the shot goes OB into a playground area, 30 degrees off his intended line, and decapitates a kid on the teeter totter).

Considering how many unskilled players I see throwing both these discs, but particularly the Boss (yes, the Star and Champ ones), I'd say the bigger part of the blame in this equation is the stupidity of the disc golf consumer base. But that's what happens when you market "badass" to an under 25 male who thinks he's got to have the hottest gadget around, whether it be something for his car, his computer, or a golf disc.

I really can't blame Innova for capitalizing on that when you've got a never ending supply of testosterone laden boys who seem to have this fantasy that because they're throwing a Boss, eventually there's gonna be a Innova rep coming along with a suitcase full of cash, a sponsorship offer, and two buxom blondes (twins!) who will take him into the woods and do all sorts of libidinous things to him after they see how FARRRRRRR he can throw that Boss (never mind the shot goes OB into a playground area, 30 degrees off his intended line, and decapitates a kid on the teeter totter).

hahaha...yeap, you nailed. it!

not the disc

My friend Eric always says, "There are no dumb questions, just dumb people." Same goes for disc throwing. I would suggest that most people's disappointment w/ a disc has little to do with the disc and everything to do with their ability/inability to throw. Stop throwing discs you don't have the game for and I bet your happy meter goes up. I'm just sayin.

I really so far have only had a couple disc I felt when i got them that they did not work right. First the groove but then I learned what I could use it best for and it stayed in the bag.
Next soft magnet, thought it was junk then I started using it for long putts and really like it.
Next was the stalker. I actually thought of seeing if someone wanted to trade something for it but I then took it out to the field one more time and just realized that I was not getting a good snap on it because of the thin rim. So I gripped a bit tighter and wow I was impressed. A great straight and low flying disc. So a dissapointing disc has now found a home in my bag and will stay because I figured out how to use it.

Not sure why all the r-pro boss haters but i have liked this disc from the start. I took it on a wooded course and beat it up bad then took it to the field to see what happened. It still is my longest flying disc. The only thing is it may be a bit more overstable now but thats why i got it anyway.

Not sure why all the r-pro boss haters but i have liked this disc from the start. I took it on a wooded course and beat it up bad then took it to the field to see what happened. It still is my longest flying disc. The only thing is it may be a bit more overstable now but thats why i got it anyway.

you beat an r-pro boss into some trees and it became more OVERstable? that seems opposite of what is normally seen...

you beat an r-pro boss into some trees and it became more OVERstable? that seems opposite of what is normally seen...
Well I got it for the fade 3 on it and it seems to fade more now that i beat it in or atleast the last time I took it to the field it did than when i first got it. It wasn't alot but i did notice it and i am a noob so i figure it had to be because i beat it in a bit.:confused:

I bought the first Boss I saw and after a few throws I realized my hands weren't big enough for the wide wing and my method of throwing. Traded it to my buddy about a week later for his Destroyer and now all is right in the world.

...still boggles my mind that people are still writing the Groove and the Monarch.

The Monarch:
Oh what a tricky disc. Throw flat and with a perfect technique and it almost flies like a sidewinder. Goes straight, goes right, then fades nicely left. If you don't have the technique to throw it as such yet try hyzer flipping it. It is by far one of the best flippers around.

once again, don't hate what you can't throw.
I don't really think the Monarch is beyond my throwing capabilities, but I just don't like it. The rim is probably the worst, most uncomfortable rim of any distance driver I've ever thrown. It's supposed to have -4 high speed turn, yet The Beast (same speed and -2 HST) actually turns more and it is a better hyzer-flip disc as well. The Monarch just never did what it was advertised to do.

I don't really think the Monarch is beyond my throwing capabilities, but I just don't like it. The rim is probably the worst, most uncomfortable rim of any distance driver I've ever thrown. It's supposed to have -4 high speed turn, yet The Beast (same speed and -2 HST) actually turns more and it is a better hyzer-flip disc as well. The Monarch just never did what it was advertised to do.

Weird. I use both the Beast and The Monarch (they are perfect compliments to each other, much like the Boss and The Groove are to each) and they behave exactly like they are supposed too, mind you after breaking in a bit. The Monarch tends to be a bit more touchy to the technique applied to it though.

I've only thrown my one Monarch so maybe our Monarchs are different runs, or different domes, or different colors...after all, it is Innova we're talking about here. Never-the-less, the rim still sucks.