• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

So what happened to the 0.5 review for VisionQuest? If low reviews are being removed, there are other top rated courses that have suffered from fly-by 0.5-1.0 reviews like Blueberry, Granite and Idlewild and likely a few more. A fly-by 5.0 is also just as suspect as a 0.5.

So what happened to the 0.5 review for VisionQuest? If low reviews are being removed, there are other top rated courses that have suffered from fly-by 0.5-1.0 reviews like Blueberry, Granite and Idlewild and likely a few more. A fly-by 5.0 is also just as suspect as a 0.5.

:clap::clap::clap:

While it wasn't a great review, it didn't read like a strategic hit from another course homer.

Removed it after checking the IP address, email, etc. it seemed pretty suspect. If it was well written that would have been one thing but it seemed like a cheap shot to influence the top 10 list.

If a course is permanently closed, shouldn't it be removed from the rankings? Talking about Coyote Trace and most likely Holler.

I played Holler on Thursday. It's still open (and awesome).

Removed it after checking the IP address, email, etc. it seemed pretty suspect. If it was well written that would have been one thing but it seemed like a cheap shot to influence the top 10 list.
That VQ review was definitely a slam job but as pointed out, there were nuggets of truth in there similar to other fly-by slam jobs. You've set yourself up as being uncensored on reviews. So unless that's changing, seems like it should have been left there, especially since you've actually played the course and have a bias.

Reviews do get removed although it's pretty rare, it's usually due to content or admitting to giving a higher rating than the course deserves just to boost the overall rating. If people make enough noise, I'll look into the reviewer and see what's going on. If they're using proxies and a throw away email to rate a single course, it raises a few flags, particularly when everyone has been discussing it on here. That said, I do make mistakes and if that's the case here, my apologies to DomGolfer and he should repost that review. I don't think that account will ever log back in though.

Played Vision Quest this weekend. Sweet course but damn the guy at the proshop told me to post a review here about 5 times in the 10 combined minutes I was talking to him before and after the round.
Coincidentally, on the other end of the spectrum, Hawk Hollow just got it's first review in a year and a half. Talk about the anti-sell approach. Tied to the whippin post.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, on the other end of the spectrum, Hawk Hollow just got it's first review in a year and a half. Talk about the anti-sell approach. Tied to the whippin post.

Wow. I thought we didn't get many reviews at Stoney Hill. Astounding that Hawk Hollow has so few.

Yes - We have all seen that before on other well renowned courses, some that have not been removed even though they have accusations, that are without any merit whatsoever. :confused:

sorry. thought Holler may be closed due to recent problems.

I thought the same thing. I'm glad I had a chance to play it. I was worried that the problems you mention would have closed it down before I could make it out there.

At least one designer puts it in the "Description" section of the hole details thusly:

"Par of 64, featuring a par 5 hole running almost completely along the creek bed (#10). Another signature hole is #18, which covers both sides of a seasonal tributary and plays uphill through the biggest oaks and elms on the property. The green sits just beyond a deep ravine and will no doubt be a make-or-break finishing hole for players looking to win a tournament here. Red tees for beginner to rec players and blue tees for intermediate, advanced, and pro players."

I find it extremely unlikely that the designer (John Houck) personally wrote that description. The description can be updated by anyone. Could be him, though, based on the Change History. It just doesn't read like anything I've ever seen written by him.

Last edited:

I would never encourage people to review, nor would I discourage them from doing it- it is up to them whether they feel motivated to do it.

I would never encourage people to review, nor would I discourage them from doing it- it is up to them whether they feel motivated to do it.
I always figured you had the same top two rules as Fight Club ;
1) No one talks about Hawk Hollow
2) No one talks about Hawk Hollow
Otherwise it might be in the top ten and overrun by city slickers.

I liked BRP and VQ, but if I was back in the TC's, I'd play Lakewood and Bryant Lake again before either of them. Heck, I'd probably play Kaposia before them, as well.

I normally do. BRP is getting better though and big changes in the works all around with tees etc. Finally no more 3:2 beers...!!! The snack shack is becoming a small bar and food stand vs actual shack.

I always figured you had the same top two rules as Fight Club ;
1) No one talks about Hawk Hollow
2) No one talks about Hawk Hollow
Otherwise it might be in the top ten and overrun by city slickers.

True to a degree.

While it's nice for people to appreciate it for the caliber course it is (to feed my ego), I am not in the disc golf business at this point and there is such a thing as "too much play" while there is not such a thing as "too little play". Farm first, dg course second.

Course is pretty much free of amenities and will remain so. That being said I can look at the pictures of several courses rated above it and believe that I would put the set of holes at HH up against them any day and not come up wanting.

Farm first, dg course second.
I love the thought of your money-maker providing free course maintenance on a daily basis and keeping out the riff-raff (folks afraid of cows and/or cow patties)....brilliant !
No wonder you could care less about ratings/reviews;it's the perfect scenario.

Last edited:

Reviews do get removed although it's pretty rare, it's usually due to content or admitting to giving a higher rating than the course deserves just to boost the overall rating. If people make enough noise, I'll look into the reviewer and see what's going on. If they're using proxies and a throw away email to rate a single course, it raises a few flags, particularly when everyone has been discussing it on here. That said, I do make mistakes and if that's the case here, my apologies to DomGolfer and he should repost that review. I don't think that account will ever log back in though.

I don't believe that TMG allows the reviewer to use nasty language, disparaging remarks about other DG'ers, owners, or designers, or put peoples reputation or integrity into question. The problem described in the previous posts can be improved by "grading on a curve". The idea being that the top and bottom 5% or 10% would not be added into the course average after a course has reached a pre-established number of reviews, say 20 or so. This would help give DGCR users get a better rating tool to gauge the courses they are planning to visit by negating some of the over inflated homer reviews, and the reviews that are obvious attempts to lower the courses rating. IMHO - P22

Latest posts