• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving south for the winter. Where to go?

I was going to suggest the beach near Tampa as well. Augusta would be good for disc golf, but you may find it's kinda boring as a city. That may or may not matter to you, but be aware. Also, Jacksonville really isn't a "big" city, no matter how big the ridiculously expanded city limits make it seem. :p

No one suggested Austin, Georgetown is not part of Austin with pop of about 50k but accesses both Austin or DFW within minutes

Georgetown is in the Austin Metropolitan Area, which has a population of over a million folks and some of the worst traffic in the US. While Austin is only 30 miles south of Georgetown that drive can take over an hour much of the day.

And DFW is 150 miles north of Georgetown, so not exactly close.

I also lived in WI last year during the winter. The previous 2 years, I escaped to South Africa. I understand your need to escape!

I hope you choose somewhere deliciously warm and share pictures with us.

Consider moving to San Antonio, Tx.

There are some good courses here.

It's just an hour away from the courses in south Austin.

The cost of living can be less than Austin.

The traffic is better.

When it comes to traffic, almost anywhere is better than Austin. :wall:

Im looking for a nice, comfortable place to call home for 1-3 months located in the heart of a bunch of great DG courses :) I'd also prefer a bigger city, like 50k - 250k population, but not a huge city like Jacksonville. Somewhere in Georgia or Florida. Texas doesnt sound to bad either. :thmbup:

Beyond disc golf and mild weather, what are you looking for in a winter home?

Nightlife? Scenery? Other activities? Seclusion? A job?

It seems that there might be some smaller cities on the outskirts of the big cities that would allow you access to the courses---at least, the courses on your side of town---without actually being in, say, Charlotte or DFW.

I would go with Austin, TX; Augusta, GA; or Tampa, FL. Tampa would obviously be the best for weather. Austin would probably be the best when combining all factors.

Based solely on disc golf, I would choose Huntsville, AL over Augusta, GA.

Based only on disc golf, I would choose Charlotte over Austin.

Based on weather, I would live on the coast of Florida* and enjoy the warm sandy beaches and palm trees.

*I have never disc golfed in Florida.

I was hoping to get more winter discing time when I moved to DFW last year but it is SO DANG WINDY! I've had to morph into a 2-bag golfer based on the season, one full of Firebirds and the other flippy stuff.

I was hoping to get more winter discing time when I moved to DFW last year but it is SO DANG WINDY! I've had to morph into a 2-bag golfer based on the season, one full of Firebirds and the other flippy stuff.

The three days that there's snow on ground here too much for you?

Augusta has great disc golf, but is terribly boring. The same can be said for Hunstville.

The North Atlanta Suburbs have a decent scene that is coming on pretty strong, but the ATL is a big city and has some of the worst traffic on the planet.

I might go for one of the towns south of Tampa, the weather is fantastic all year round and there are a few quality courses close(according to reviews) I haven't played there even though I have been in Fl 2 times this year.

Brooksville, Florida.

For 10 days it'll have a dazzling disc golf course, and the rest of your stay you can drive to the Tampa area, or a bit further to Orlando, playing those quality courses and the others scattered about the region.

Not sure what type of living accomodations you're planning on, but if you're bringing an RV or tent camper you can park it on our property in San Marcos, Texas. It's a small college town with a Population is 55k that's a short drive from the awesome courses in both Austin and San Antonio. We're curently building a couple of disc golf courses on the property and you can stay for free if you help out on the course every now and then.

What we lack in snow around here, we do make up for with wind. And it can be frustrating. For instance this weekend coming up there are 2 usually fun tournaments to play in, but 40deg, 17-20mph winds....ugh.

I have been in Birmingham, AL working the past 5 months and it is great city for disc golf (more courses nearby with elevation than expected) and nightlife if you are single. They also have great restuarants and many people I have met and seen around town appear to be doing well financially with lots of jobs at financial institutions and manufacturing plants in the area.

Augusta has great disc golf, but is terribly boring. The same can be said for Hunstville.

The North Atlanta Suburbs have a decent scene that is coming on pretty strong, but the ATL is a big city and has some of the worst traffic on the planet.

I might go for one of the towns south of Tampa, the weather is fantastic all year round and there are a few quality courses close(according to reviews) I haven't played there even though I have been in Fl 2 times this year.

Bear in mind that not everyone has the same standard for "boring". The O.P. hasn't said what he's looking for, outside of disc golf & weather. Many would find the place I live to be boring, outside perhaps the disc golf, but to me it's the best place I've ever been. On the other hand, I've been lots of places in Florida and, other than perhaps the Keys, I doubt I could stand any of them for more than 4 days. Different strokes for different folks, you know.

Latest posts