• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] MRX vs Wasp comparison

AggieDiscer

Par Member
I did a search and couldn't find anything. Any old timers wanna give us an insight about the old Discraft MRX, and how it compares to the wasp?

The MRX was similar to a Hornet in stability, strangely slow for a small-diameter mid and really didn't have much glide. The Wasp is more of a traditional Rocish mid; slightly overstable with decent glide. I can a Wasp out a good 30'-40' foot past a MRX. I also remember not being all that impressed with the MRX in the wind and didn't understand the point of an overstable mid that was no good in the wind. Wasps are better in the wind despite having less fade than an MRX.

Short version: The MRX sucked; the Wasp doesn't so much.

A MRV (Z in particular) is not at all like a Meteor. It is a mildly overstable midrange. A Meteor is understable. I swear by Z MRVs and have at least 5 ACEs with them. They are OOP, but not too hard or exspensive to hunt down. If they ever do go up in value, however, I will have no problem just switching over to a Z Buzzz...they seem to fit the same slot in my bag. A Buzzz might go a tad bit further from what people say, but I haven't really noticed this myself.

MRX=overstable glideless hunk of crud.

MRV=closest thing to a small diameter Roc there was.

A buddy of mine throws Elite-Pro MRX's and I throw his a lot just for fun. I would disagree with the glideless comment. They're great stable mids with a reliable finish. I can get them out past 300 on lines similar to a Buzzz, but I know they will fade a bit more at the end. I really don't know why Discraft stopped making them. They're great discs.

I like the MRX and maybe because of the overstablilty and lack of glide, it fills a spot in my bag. I will say I have a biased opinion as it was my one of my first 2 discs so I'm very comfortable throwing a number of different shots with them. After using a disc for over 10 years it just feel good. Also, I think the Elite Pro plastic from that era is nice for a mid.

I still have the MRX elite pro i bought 15 yrs ago. A took it out walking with my Whippets this summer for some field work and found the MRX to be flippy in comparison. Flew like a Kite without the glide.

I'll second that. The MRV ruled.

I'll third this statement. Check my signature if you don't believe the MRV love.

The MRX was a disc that I threw a few times, decided it was not worth buying and never picked one up again. Something about discs that don't have glide and a mild overstable nature don't seem to fit in my bag.

I miss my MRV's, but they went the same direction as my old champ cobras (except I still have 2 of the cobras- I imagine all my MRV's are sitting in used bins or at the bottom of lakes somewhere). The Mirvgriffen was one of my favorite midranges, but I really did have no problem transitioning to the buzzz after i realized I wasn't going to be getting any more of them.

I miss my MRV's, but they went the same direction as my old champ cobras (except I still have 2 of the cobras- I imagine all my MRV's are sitting in used bins or at the bottom of lakes somewhere). The Mirvgriffen was one of my favorite midranges, but I really did have no problem transitioning to the buzzz after i realized I wasn't going to be getting any more of them.

lol, merv griffin

Latest posts