• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Multiple pins - why?/why not?

What pin configuration option do you prefer?

• One pin per hole!

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Multiple permanent pins make a good design tool

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Multiple permanent pins create better course variety

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Moveable pins are OK, multiple permanent pins no so much.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • If you have 2 permanent pins, do it on every hole

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No Opinion, I'll play anywhere

Votes: 16 21.6%

• Total voters
How are some of you defining 'pins'?

It sounds like some are saying multiple permanent baskets, and others are using it as a single basket with different basket locations.

It sounds like some are saying multiple permanent baskets, and others are using it as a single basket with different basket locations.

OP made each distinct, being "permanent" or "moveable".

I'm defining "pin" as basket location. It may or may not currently house a basket.

As someone that plays courses with a decent number of blind tee shots, rotating pins would be potentially be very annoying.

Not if there is a system in place to indicate on the tee sign where the basket is located.

One of the courses I play regularly has hooks labeled A, B, C, etc. They put a bead on the hook where the basket(s) are located. I have also seen small locks and hooks to indicate basket position on the tee sign.

As a designer and a player, I prefer "What works." I've played and designed courses with each of the options in the poll. Which option(s) I played or used in the design had more to do with the situation than a preference other than the desire to design for at two skill levels, however accomplished.

Not if there is a system in place to indicate on the tee sign where the basket is located.

One of the courses I play regularly has hooks labeled A, B, C, etc. They put a bead on the hook where the basket(s) are located. I have also seen small locks and hooks to indicate basket position on the tee sign.

we dont have this around mn but this sounds brilliant

I have heard players say they are confusing where multiple tees are easily understood.

I have played courses with multiple baskets and played to the wrong basket. It cost me during a league play.

I have designed courses where selective multiple pins (color coded) are used for different skill levels.[/QUOTE}

Good! However, some courses with multiple baskets don't make it clear which basket is which. A player needs to be able to tell from the tee pad which is the one they should be playing to.

I'm for multiple tee pads as that provides several options for playing the course (18 from the A tee pad, 18 from the B tee pad, alternate A and B tee pads, 9 from A and 9 from B) the combinations are almost endless.

Moveable baskets adds to the options and yet it is still clear to the player where they need to play to....

Multiple baskets...well, as I said, they need to be well defined.

Having multiple tee pads and movable or multiple baskets can cause head-aches with keeping the tee signs accurate.

This system should be mandatory if you bother putting tee signs up. All the courses around me do it.

I voted for "Moveable pins are OK, multiple permanent pins no so much." Because I do like it when my home course is changed up a bit. However, I think that multiple pins could possible be confusing to some new players. Another reason is the cost to the park, county, city, etc.

3rd tee

Patapsco Valley, one of my favorite local courses, has two tees, two baskets, and three pin positions on every hole. Baskets are color-coded.

Actually, a third recreation-suitable tee location exists on each hole, defined by a set of yellow pavers. We play from them the last week of our league, when every hole is a CTP.

Actually, a third recreation-suitable tee location exists on each hole, defined by a set of yellow pavers. We play from them the last week of our league, when every hole is a CTP.

Very cost affective way to install natural tees for the younger kids.

Very cost affective way to install natural tees for the younger kids.

I would love it if courses would install "Junior" length tees. This is a missed opportunity for both ball and disc golf to make the games more approachable for pre-teens.

That's right, I forgot about the rec tees. Seneca Creek has a similar system.

There are three consistent issues I see with multiple pins.

1. The same shot results in the same outcome

If a hole is 250 feet straight and one pin is at the 250 mark and the other is around a corner at 310, I can usually throw a drive to a spot in between and have a circle putt on both. That doesn't change the hole, only the putt.

2. Different pins force you into a layout

My home course has long and short pins. I do not care for one of the combinations. I basically avoid that course every other month due to this. If you have the option of multiple tees, it's always better. Then you choose layouts. Having a tee only 10 - 15 feet to the side of a another can drastically change a hole based on angle.

3. Moving them.

Usually you have a local guy who volunteers but then forgets one month or loses interest. It's a lot of work based on how many they are and how far they are from someone. Also, if they rotate on a schedule (even months shorts odd months long) you have to stick to it. That one guy on vacation for a week and it's out of order. And then when you run a tournament, the pins usually are in one spot or a mixture. Then everything gets out of whack.

There are three consistent issues I see with multiple pins.

1. The same shot results in the same outcome

If a hole is 250 feet straight and one pin is at the 250 mark and the other is around a corner at 310, I can usually throw a drive to a spot in between and have a circle putt on both. That doesn't change the hole, only the putt.

If you max out at 240' like I do, it makes quite a difference.

What if the pin positions are 190' and 720'? Or hard hyzer and hard anhyzer routes?

I've only played a few courses with multiple pins -- that is, multiple baskets permanently in place. Possibly confusing the first time or two around but, after that, it offers variety. Only drawbacks I see are cost, and perhaps a little clutter.

3 of the 4 courses I play most, have a single pin and and position.

For courses with multiple pins locations that move them around, I often find that a hole has a position I prefer, and it's a bit of a letdown to find a basket in a different position. Plus, as they move them around, I don't have benchmarks for scores---was a 55 good today? Hard to say. But it does provide variety, and reduce erosion.

Interestingly, to me and probably no one else, I own a course with 29 baskets: 28 portables, and 1 permanent. We originally talked about changing pin positions, but ultimately concluded that each hole had one best spot, and we rarely move them.

my local 9 hole has multiple pads, and multiple pins that are rotated about every 4 months. usually half of them are moved back and half of them are moved forward. offers a nice change in layout through the year.

for sake of argument on "confusion", why would multiple pins more confusing than multiple tees? Multiple tees are commonplace.

Utilizing both options for best configurations should make sense assuming good visual indicators. Mix and match.

Dual full time baskets isn't confusing if they're properly identified (preferably color-coded).

But anyone who asks how multiple pins can be confusing, has never walked up a fairway on an unfamiliar course trying to figure out what position the pin is in.

Last edited: