• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

mutteriwiritys' form

Your weight/balance is to too far behind your heels and spin out/over rotate. You need to stride your whole body weight more together forward instead of leaving the hips behind and folding your upper body over the hips like a lawn chair. Watch your front foot/heel spin and hips around/over rotate compared to the pros. Your toes are too far in the air to brace.

Thank you for advice, sidewinder22! Now when I watch my drive again, you're definitely right. I'll try to focus on bringing hips forward and not over-rotating+keeping toes closer to ground.

You are jumping out of posture and over the front side. You need to stay more centered between your feet and release the weight of the disc more like a hammer thrower.

Thanks for the videos and especially the picture was very helpful. I will work on that and post an update later on.

Better, but your weight doesn't quite transfer forward and you pivot dangerously flat footed. You need to brace or catch yourself from behind you(see vids below) and pivot your body more. The front toe/instep should land first, then the heel(with all your weight) should come down like crushing a can under your heel without spinning. You are a bit flat footed on the rear foot and moving quite fast at the start. Stay more on your rear toes/instep and slow, then accelerate fast through the finish.

Thanks.. so you mean that I should land my plant foot softer using my toes? I've had knee pain from throwing for almost a year now, more or less and fortunately it has almost disappeared when I've got my throw more centered but maybe throwing flat footed is one cause of that?

As far as bracing/catching yourself from behind, take a look at the following http://rowvid.com/?v=GfjiaZ9DvXQ&t=10.2&s=1

It's queued up to the 10.2 sec mark, although it'll play in full speed. Go to that point and use the arrows to step through it frame by frame. It's easiest to see in Dave and Will's form (because they have fewer moving pieces at that point in their throw), but they're all planting from behind.

Watch how their weight just sort of falls onto the plant foot. Once they get their body in position, they just sort of hold that pose as gravity pulls the body down onto the front foot, the whole body ends up rotating a few degrees as it settles. You can really see how their hips/shoulders/back are just settling down during this part of the throw.

Earlier today I was practicing and trying to "let my body fall onto the foot by gravity" during the throw and focusing on landing with my toe first. I recorded some throws again but there's pretty much no difference between the earlier video and the video I recorded today, expect I took a slower run-up to make things easier.

Now thinking your advice and comparing my throw side to side to pros, I think I got the idea. My stance is not closed, my rear foot is too straight and front knee/leg is not closed enough (i'm not "squeezing between the knees"?) so I don't settle well enough to more like a "hammer-thrower" stance where I could pivot better with my body and get properly power from my legs? Kinda running through the throw a little bit still but not as extremely as before..

Tell me if I got the idea or not. Someone also commented that I pull through too early, is that correct?

Attachments

• stance.png
    stance.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
Yep, your weight needs to transfer then swing as explained in the best weightshift, power sequence and dingelarm. You need to brace the front leg more like a skier making a hard turn, needs to be resistance to turn and keep posture inside the leg from falling over. Also need to keep your compression/pressure cooker/spine tilt toward the knees. The issues are all related to each other. Not sure what discs you are practicing with, but putters and mids are best.

Bracing like a skier making a hard turn is a very good explanation. I practice with putters. I don't have problems with off-axis torque, that's what I fixed year ago throwing putters a lot.

Someone also commented that I pull through too early, is that correct?
That was me on another forum :) At the speed you were running up in the video it's a close call, but the pull starts before your plant foot lands. Big reason why the weight didn't transfer properly.

Just wanted to mention that most people don't have the flexibility to bend their knees the way that Will does in the screen shot that was posted. It might be easier to match Kolings stance as you are trying to get the hang of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Plant Step.jpg
    Plant Step.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
Just wanted to mention that most people don't have the flexibility to bend their knees the way that Will does in the screen shot that was posted. It might be easier to match Kolings stance as you are trying to get the hang of it.

attachment.php

Yeah that's a good point, he has his knees bent really close to each other.

Latest posts