• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] MVP/Axiom Roller Disc

I was trying to use my Relay with varying levels of success, and I eventually lost it on a roller gone bad. For me, it's back to non-gyro for roller discs. Purely anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but I've convinced myself MVP/Axiom isn't as good at rollers as plain old plastic.

Really? Even though you hate on MVP? Count me surprised.

I was a huge MVP fanboy in the beginning. I had an all MVP bag when they didn't have drivers. Begged them to make a driver. Then the drivers came out and I really don't like them at all.

The putters and mids all glide for days and hold super tight lines. The drivers have no glide and have extreme flip/fade tendencies. Not my cup of tea.

To be clear, I don't hate MVP, I HATE the fanbois.

Sonic, did you ever try Volts, Craves or Wraths? I feel like those three molds are pretty damn straight.

Armiller: That's funny I always felt the opposite. I don't throw a ton of rollers but I always liked overmolded discs for them because I feel they grip the ground better than plain champ / star.

Sonic, did you ever try Volts, Craves or Wraths? I feel like those three molds are pretty damn straight.

Have not tried a crave, but both Volts and Wraths flew consistently OS for me. I throw max 400' power with absolutely no OAT and tend a bit nose up. Discs that skew OS tend to exaggerate the fade because of nose angle and the lack of OAT to give them that little extra tilt off the hand.

I don't throw a ton of rollers but I always liked overmolded discs for them because I feel they grip the ground better than plain champ / star.

latest

The only MVP/Axiom disc I've had a lot of experience with that does not have poor glide is the Theory. That's not always a negative though.

Ive BH rolled happily with:

Relay (itb)
Signal
Switch
Crave
Beat to hell Amp
Volt (itb)
Inertia
Insanity
Impulse
Virus (itb)
Vanish
Orbital

Just depends how flippy you want.

:thmbup:
the Virus was a turnover disc for me right off the shelf when thrown flat. Loved that disc. With a little anny, it was a roller disc without question. Same as you with the Amp as well. I have one of the origial N Amps thats hit more trees than Cheech or Chong. It turns and burns everytime so that is ITB as my roller when I feel like throwing it.

Armiller: That's funny I always felt the opposite. I don't throw a ton of rollers but I always liked overmolded discs for them because I feel they grip the ground better than plain champ / star.

It just always seemed to me that the Relay has a lot of really early turn but then pulls out of it quickly. So that makes it awesome for sky annys and the like, or shots that need early left-to-right movement, but as far as rollers go it had an annoying tendency to pull out of the turn early, then either failing to roll at all or turning into an undesirable cut-roller.

Granted, my roller game is probably the least practiced area of my game, so I don't have a lot of experience behind my comment.

I was a huge MVP fanboy in the beginning. I had an all MVP bag when they didn't have drivers. Begged them to make a driver. Then the drivers came out and I really don't like them at all.

The putters and mids all glide for days and hold super tight lines. The drivers have no glide and have extreme flip/fade tendencies. Not my cup of tea.

To be clear, I don't hate MVP, I HATE the fanbois.

That must have been for like 30 days.

Yep, but there's nothing more :gross: than Sonic fanbois talking about the wonders of that disc. :rolleyes:

That must have been for like 30 days.

Yep, but there's nothing more :gross: than Sonic fanbois talking about the wonders of that disc. :rolleyes:

Lol, I actually go around telling people to buy polecats because sonics break to easily. It was a surprising amount of time before MVP made drivers.

Notice the "i had an ALL mvp bag...."

With no drivers? Lol!

Yup, no drivers. I could get an axis out to 350' at the time and I wanted an all overmold bag. I was pretty obnoxious on here begging for a driver.

(OK I threw a teebird in the bag when I played league)

Lol, I actually go around telling people to buy polecats because sonics break to easily. It was a surprising amount of time before MVP made drivers.

Yup, no drivers. I could get an axis out to 350' at the time and I wanted an all overmold bag. I was pretty obnoxious on here begging for a driver.

(OK I threw a teebird in the bag when I played league)

So what was your screen name back then because I have MVP drivers that are older than your join date?...

I was trying to use my Relay with varying levels of success, and I eventually lost it on a roller gone bad. For me, it's back to non-gyro for roller discs. Purely anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but I've convinced myself MVP/Axiom isn't as good at rollers as plain old plastic.

I've not been impressed with my Relay for rolling. Too tricky to get the landing angle correct--sometimes it turns too much and blows the line and other times not enough and cuts. The Orbital has been much easier to place consistently. I've not tried enough rolls with the Signal, as yet, to guage how well it works.

The best MVP roller is...

Axis. None of their drivers roll particularly well. But they all will roll so if you need a driver just pick one that is the stability you prefer for rollers.

Gotta say, Sonic is on to something here. I've been rolling my Axis more lately, just for kicks, and it's crazy consistent. I do not, however, agree that the drivers don't roll well. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Orbital for backhand and Fireball for FH rolls.

Gotta say, Sonic is on to something here. I've been rolling my Axis more lately, just for kicks, and it's crazy consistent. I do not, however, agree that the drivers don't roll well. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Orbital for backhand and Fireball for FH rolls.

I don't mean to say the drivers suck at rolling, I just don't think any one rolls better than another. Sidewinders roll exceptionally well, teebirds roll OK. Leopards roll super well, surges not as much. I can't pick out a single overmold driver that rolls better than any other random driver.