• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Funguy steal your Wasp?

no he mentioned how im a broken record or something

so am i going to let his negative energy bring me down or am i going to redirect it into motivation??????????????

and then i connected the dots in how it was time to do something other than lip service so i pulled all my worthless mids out of the bag and jammed in a crappy electron ion that i plan to beat to hell

ions volts and a water disc

well i played a wooded but shorter course today with no mids i shot somewhere around -10

i really did miss my red wasp i dont think its the mold more so im just used to throwing specific holes with my wasp

and the wasp just holds up better in wind its like an ion flight that breaks the wind

i did not miss the theory or buzz at all

and electron plastic is still completely terrible

Cant edit the post now but actually the PLASMA photon has been my go to (mine is red/orange in color), the neutron i have is different but i also like it, added it at the end of the year as my plasma started to beat in and turn more, it is flatter and has less glide and not as workable.

I use the plasma photon as my control driver, in the past i have thrown destroyers, outlaws, wraith and the like for this slot, and given its stability and distance its usable in place of those discs for me. To be honest the neutron i got is more like a SDS Destroyer and not very workable.. but useful for what it is. I also tried the Streamline Trace but found it more like a wraith and it quickly beat in and lost that controllable turn that the photon holds much longer. Im not saying its a Destroyer, but it filled that role for me. I love the plasma photon for its glide that extends throws, slow panning turn that wasn't flippy but reliable and then a healthy fade that is easy to range.

Im hoping at the start of next season i can find another plasma photon to replace my beat one thats starting to hold turns a little too long now :)

Sias, on another note, i did have a neutron octane that was awesome and filled this role just as well if not better than even the photon for me but i lost it! and a couple years later when i bought a replacement to try out it after switching back to MVP it was more flippy compared to the first run i had.. that might be a good one to try out as well if you can find one that has that sweet spot amount of turn, its a little faster, i tend to throw lower speed discs in my years of playing realized i can control them better, maybe i just grip the smaller rims better or something im not sure?

Cant say i can recommend any MVP disc over speed 13 though! i just have fun skipping the teleport or if its windy, unusual circumstances, etc.. i can only throw the teleport about 30-40 feet farther than my photon for reference and that would be about 500' max

This makes sense.

I've clicked with Octanes instantly. I like the rim width, I like the dome. I'll consider myself fortunate to miss out on the great dome famine of 2014.

My Photon kinda overlaps with the Tesla in my bag. Hard to say if it'll stay bagged or not, but it's not like I think it's a terrible disc or anything.
With MVP discs you don't really have to check PLH or anything too much but weights can make discs vary a lot or surprisingly little and the dome really affects flight. A flat Photon and a flat Tesla are really similar. Most MVP stuff is flat like Brutal outlined but some are flatter than others. Teslas are really noticeable with this. A board flat Tesla is fairly overstable and really dumpy, not much glide. One with a bit of shoulder before it flattens out is like a nice, glidey Surge/Thunderbird etc straight to fade 10 speeder.

I've definitely noticed some different stability levels in Octanes, but that suits me just fine. Oddly I've found a gold Plasma that's the most stable of few that I bag, and a blue sparkle Proton that's the least stable. I've yet to throw an Octane that I didn't love, though. They're all beautiful in my eyes. Same can be said for the Mayhem. Haven't seen a dud in either mold.

What has been everyone's experience with Panics and Nitros? I know those are a couple of molds that are pushing the limits of what people bag, but any info is still valuable to me.

Nitro is the only one of the top 2 speed classes that I have used for any length of time. Got it for FHs before I wrecked my shoulder and it performed great. I have short stubby fingers, so I've always had problems gripping fast discs. I didn't throw it much BH for that reason. But when I did, it was too much disc for me unless I was throwing into a stiff headwind or needed a hard hyzer angle with some skip at the end... I would compare it to the McBeth sig destroyers in stability but I was well passed my 400ft power days when I got it and couldn't get it up to speed to really get a feel for the whole flight...

Cant edit the post now but actually the PLASMA photon has been my go to (mine is red/orange in color), the neutron i have is different but i also like it, added it at the end of the year as my plasma started to beat in and turn more, it is flatter and has less glide and not as workable.

I use the plasma photon as my control driver, in the past i have thrown destroyers, outlaws, wraith and the like for this slot, and given its stability and distance its usable in place of those discs for me. To be honest the neutron i got is more like a SDS Destroyer and not very workable.. but useful for what it is. I also tried the Streamline Trace but found it more like a wraith and it quickly beat in and lost that controllable turn that the photon holds much longer. Im not saying its a Destroyer, but it filled that role for me. I love the plasma photon for its glide that extends throws, slow panning turn that wasn't flippy but reliable and then a healthy fade that is easy to range.

Im hoping at the start of next season i can find another plasma photon to replace my beat one thats starting to hold turns a little too long now :)

When you say the Plasma Photon is more workable than in Neutron plastic, do you mean more turn? Sounds intriguing. Because I'm always looking for that disc between Neutron Photon & Wave. Was gonna try a Fission Photon but they gone.

A low 160s plasma photon will fill the gap some but you really just need to beat the hell out of any photon to get to that mid point between the two. The Fission doesn't really fill to much of that gap either until you go very light or spend some time with one and a tree.;) My 155g fizz photon is from release day and still wont really turn on its own without headwind but it does fly some sexy flex lines. Luckily I picked up a HOF(Steady Ed Classic) stamp Wave at a tourney and it is probably more like a -1 3 than -2 2 which most of the others I've had were. So it definitely helps bridge the gap some.

Last edited:
A low 160s plasma photon will fill the gap some but you really just need to beat the hell out of any photon to get to that mid point between the two. The Fission doesn't really fill to much of that gap either until you go very light or spend some time with one and a tree.;) My 155g fizz photon is from release day and still wont really turn on its own without headwind but it does fly some sexy flex lines. Luckily I picked up a HOF(Steady Ed Classic) stamp Wave at a tourney and it is probably more like a -1 3 than -2 2 which most of the others I've had were. So it definitely helps bridge the gap some.

Oh well. I'm worrying about that slot less and less anyway, although it would still be nice to find a freaky stable Wave or noodly arm Photon.

My most comfortable driver lineup is Lucid-X Trespass/Bio Trespass/Wave/Vanish, but I'm tinkering with a 'control' and 'max' lineup of Photon/Wave/Vanish and World/Ballista/King. My Photon and World are both too beefy for me to really work, so they're strictly for headwind shots or the occasional flick. Wish there was a disc out there that feels like a Photon and flies like a Trespass...

Haha! You want a fission Photon and can't find any!

Someone's got plastic fever!?! Pouty pants. Sounds like someone didn't get what they want for Christmas. Sorry to be an ass I got two but I'm not parting with one. I get your pain but don't feel it cuz I'm setup!!! I don't know what to tell you, there's a gap in the lineup there.. It's tough to fill.... Hopefully they get that mold dialed back in.. I frickin love mine! But yeah MVP find that middle ground Disc!! Too much gap in a great class.... I think that's why the fission Photons sold out.

Last edited:
Haha! You want a fission Photon and can't find any!

Someone's got plastic fever!?! Pouty pants. Sounds like someone didn't get what they want for Christmas. Sorry to be an ass I got two but I'm not parting with one. I get your pain but don't feel it cuz I'm setup!!! I don't know what to tell you, there's a gap in the lineup there.. It's tough to fill.... Hopefully they get that mold dialed back in.. I frickin love mine! But yeah MVP find that middle ground Disc!! Too much gap in a great class.... I think that's why the fission Photons sold out.

Well I did get a couple more Electron Envies and an Eclipse Envy under the tree, so not all is lost. I've run my Envy collection up to 6 now. Just need a Plasma to have the complete set.

Excellent news...

Happy Holidays!!!!!

Plasma Envy is my go to good mix of durability and flight Wolfey told me to get one and he was right.. I love the electrons out of the box they did me well while I was breaking in the plasma and now they are getting Proxish which I love... I like the Proxy flight but the grip feels wide and Tangent don't quite click with them.. Great flight though it's more of a 50 percent power plus disc for me if I'm throwing it. Really dig the eclipse Envy too love that plastic grippier than proton!

(I was Christmas drunk last night BTW)

Last edited:
Haha new phone keeps autocorrecting and the dictionary hasn't been built disc golf friendly though it capitalized Disc every time I type it. Ran out of time.

I think our friend Titanicsinks is going to use a Switch as his main fairway.. Just putting it out there as my prediction.

I think our friend Titanicsinks is going to use a Switch as his main fairway.. Just putting it out there as my prediction.

Interesting prediction! I haven't thrown one of those yet. I've been looking at a couple discs for a Pipeline or Leopard like flight. I'm curious about the Switch, but also have heard good things about the Drift. Currently I'm just throwing a Clash for that shot.

Interesting prediction! I haven't thrown one of those yet. I've been looking at a couple discs for a Pipeline or Leopard like flight. I'm curious about the Switch, but also have heard good things about the Drift. Currently I'm just throwing a Clash for that shot.

And an Inspire... the Switch is beefier in HSS than the inspires according to the numbers.. It's kinda between that and a Crave.. Probably pair nice with the Clash which I haven't thrown. Sort of a more stable Relay but kind of a freak disc in its own right.

Fills a straight fairway slot for a little more power or light FH.. Can fly a gentle tight turnover for 90 percent or its flight and has a cool late stability which either helps it pan wide or dump dependent on your throw.

Kinda like an Octane in fairway form.. Or sort of a Photon fission fairway. It's flat though.

switch was terrible it flew like a beat to hell dx firebird

Im with ya, haha I got it as a 'more stable relay' I tried it out, not a BAD disc, just, Sometimes it was SUPER high Speed flippy with late fade, other times if I didn't get the right pop on it it will hyzer out, at my power/style its a bit unpredictable. Its a fine US fairway but I put it back on the shelf and may just keep it as a backup to the relay and if a newer player wants to join me it would be a great driver I think.

Hmmm I love a beat up DX Firebird, not that I've thrown many....

The Switch is kinda freaky but it's problems are due to peoples perception of what they want it to do.. I didn't like it when I bought it as a straight fairway preRelay I think... only reason I loved it is I played a 3 Disc round at home with a Whitler a Envy and the Switch.. I kinda had limited options and when I gave it a chance it worked out. I never thought I'd bag it. It doesn't really fly like anything else.. Kinda like my fission Photon that's 20g lighter. It kind of flies like a Relay and it it is an able replacement but more of a cousin than brother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.