• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I'm not one for dying discs, but the unstamped ones would be really great for it. I kind of like having a non-stamped disc.

Two of my current MVP discs are unstamped. And 2 of the 3 Volts I ordered are unstamped. I really like the look of a blank disc, with that black overmold.

I took my Volt out again today, this time using it as my dedicated driver during a recorded round. I must say that I really want to love this disc but it is really letting me down. Holding it with a power grip actually forces the nose up a little because of the shallow grip. Switching my grip to three fingers helps but then I do not have a secure hold on it, especially since the ground was a little wet this morning. I am having trouble keeping the Volt from getting airborne. It really takes a lot of concentration on my release point and a reduction of power to keep it level. Hopefully with more practice I can dial it in, but since there is not an open spot in my bag, I am not sure I have the patience to see if it can kick anything established out.

I am not giving up on it yet, but it is likely not for me. Then again I hit chains rather solidly on its first throw today, so it does have potential.

I took my Volt out again today, this time using it as my dedicated driver during a recorded round. I must say that I really want to love this disc but it is really letting me down. Holding it with a power grip actually forces the nose up a little because of the shallow grip. Switching my grip to three fingers helps but then I do not have a secure hold on it, especially since the ground was a little wet this morning. I am having trouble keeping the Volt from getting airborne. It really takes a lot of concentration on my release point and a reduction of power to keep it level. Hopefully with more practice I can dial it in, but since there is not an open spot in my bag, I am not sure I have the patience to see if it can kick anything established out.

I am not giving up on it yet, but it is likely not for me. Then again I hit chains rather solidly on its first throw today, so it does have potential.

If your power grip is making it nose up, it's your grip, and not the disc. Reposition your middle and ring finger + pinkie so that it sits level with your forearm. Not every disc is going to fit in the same exact grip, you should be tweaking how you grip the disc for every disc type you throw.

If your power grip is making it nose up, it's your grip, and not the disc. Reposition your middle and ring finger + pinkie so that it sits level with your forearm. Not every disc is going to fit in the same exact grip, you should be tweaking how you grip the disc for every disc type you throw.

This is one of the least talked about yet most important aspects of throwing new plastic. When I get a new disc I practice gripping it/snapping it without throwing it before I even take it out.

I would completely agree about it being strictly me if all discs are equal in terms of width and depth. However, I can use the exact same grip on my TeeBirds, Valkyries, Firebirds, and pretty much everything I have in my bag that I do not consider wide-rimmed without issue, and one way or another they vary in size. My point being is that the shallowness of the Volt (which ultimately may not seem like much but is enough for me to notice) is enough to have it sit different in my hand in comparison to all other discs I use.

Yes, I do alter my grip with the Volt, but this change does not feel natural and does require conscious thought because of the grip I use for everything but my Canons and Giants. The reason I moved away from having a bag with more wide-rimmed drivers is because I want to simplify the different grips I use. I have one for short and controlled putts, another for approaching, one for putter and mid driving, the one in question here for controlled driving, and my least favorite the wide-rimmed maximum distance.

If anything, my bringing up the issue with grip supports the idea that this disc may require quite a learning curve for some players. And more importantly, this is not necessarily a negative review of the disc, but an observation of its first 50 throws.

This is one of the least talked about yet most important aspects of throwing new plastic. When I get a new disc I practice gripping it/snapping it without throwing it before I even take it out.

I knew I was going to have an issue with my grip the moment I picked up the disc. However, it takes a few throws at maximum power to feel how it comes out of the hand, and how I need to adjust the tightness of my grip to get it to that point. Because I do not feel like I have enough contact with the rim, I feel like I have to grip even harder to prevent early releases.

It was really windy at our handicap this morning and my Volts performed great. I got a couple of birdies off the tee with them, but I also had a couple of crazy par saves via 2nd shot Volt FHs. I ended up shooting a 46 and tying JohnE McCray on my card for our handicap win(he's got 60 rating points on me yet our handis are the same:confused:)...The funny part...I'm pretty sure my group thought my Volts were Axis/Vectors, so I was really looking good.:D

PS: yes, I'm petty enough to get kicks out of competing with elite players during non-sanctioned play even though they couldn't care less.:eek:

So with this shallow profile, does the Volt feel more like a mid in hand? Because I can get down with that.

Aren't most mids deeper?:confused: Anyway, no the Volt definitely feels like a driver. I don't know if mine are just more domey than most or what, but they don't really feel that shallow to me.

Aren't most mids deeper?:confused: Anyway, no the Volt definitely feels like a driver. I don't know if mine are just more domey than most or what, but they don't really feel that shallow to me.

Yeah, I guess. I feel like my Buzzz is pretty shallow, but maybe that is just me. Probably has to do more with the flatness of the Buzzz than anything else.

And, as this thread shows, feel of a disc in hand is totally subjective. Regardless, I am excited to get mine this week.

I can tell you it doesn't feel like a Buzzz! :D

Took mine to a tourney today. I'm trying to avoid this cold or whatever I feel coming on, so yesterday I was on self-imposed bed rest, but I went out today in spite of myself. I can't say the Volts were saving my ass at all (that honor goes to the Optopure), but they were flying about the same in my weakened state as they were when I was feeling strong. I dunno if I threw much over 300' on a single drive today, and I was getting them out 330+ on Thursday. (Still tied for 3rd in Am3 :D)

The shallow feel is interesting. The only discs I've thrown that are similar are some of the warpspeed Lat drivers, Halo/Havoc/etc, and some people really aren't gonna like how it feels.

The volt is a very unique feel for me the shallow rim is different for sure. To be honest if this were not an MVP disc based on feel alone i may have passed. I am glad that i got them, they remind me why i love the overmold, you can see this thing fighting to stay in the air. I need to spend more time with it to dial in the grip of it but it has some great potential.

I love me some saints and I was scared at the comparisons, for me the saint is still easier to get out there on max d, it glides more and actually feels slower than the volt. I can see that they overlap with the saint, definately the opto saint, more so than the gold line. For me the gold line saint is easier( for now) to hyzerflip to flat and goooo long dead straight with a minor fade. I can do this already with the volt, but i have to rip it a lot harder sacrificing accuracy for me.

Man i blasted some trees hard ( not purposely ) and they did not even show a scratch at all, I am fairly certain i would have temporarily tacoed most other drivers.

I think that this is a home run for them and a great first driver that can do sooo many things. I cannot wait for a more stable compliment to these, and For those who are waiting for lighter ones i would sugest to grab a heavy one and a lighter one, they do behave a little different, i favored the lighter one i like to know that my disc will pull out and fade and the 169 did that for me more often.

The volt is a very unique feel for me the shallow rim is different for sure. To be honest if this were not an MVP disc based on feel alone i may have passed. I am glad that i got them, they remind me why i love the overmold, you can see this thing fighting to stay in the air. I need to spend more time with it to dial in the grip of it but it has some great potential.

I love me some saints and I was scared at the comparisons, for me the saint is still easier to get out there on max d, it glides more and actually feels slower than the volt. I can see that they overlap with the saint, definately the opto saint, more so than the gold line. For me the gold line saint is easier( for now) to hyzerflip to flat and goooo long dead straight with a minor fade. I can do this already with the volt, but i have to rip it a lot harder sacrificing accuracy for me.

Man i blasted some trees hard ( not purposely ) and they did not even show a scratch at all, I am fairly certain i would have temporarily tacoed most other drivers.

I think that this is a home run for them and a great first driver that can do sooo many things. I cannot wait for a more stable compliment to these, and For those who are waiting for lighter ones i would sugest to grab a heavy one and a lighter one, they do behave a little different, i favored the lighter one i like to know that my disc will pull out and fade and the 169 did that for me more often.

Are you saying that your lighter one is more stable?

Yeah, my light ones seem a bit more stable, and since they tend to stay in the air longer towards the end of their flight they have more opportunity to fade as well.

Well I got 2 volts, 175g and 170g, identical mold to the teebird imo. threw them today hoping would be a more stable version of the teebird and they were not. Overmolding does not seem as drastic as with their putters. I never threw a mvp midrange. On a hard drive, 380ish they will turn and not come back. Much more high speed turn and mild fade, they are sweet, but not as stable as I was hoping, still a great disc and feels good for lazer flick shots and BH tunnel shots. not the knock out I thought it might be, but still a great disc

Last edited:
Honestly, I started throwing my volt and I a little underwhelmed. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it but I'm honestly kind of happy that I threw it. It is honestly a saint/tl hybrid in my opinion. I am not blown away by anything about it. I am very content with it but not amazed. It might stay in the bag. I don't know why but I just wasn't that impressed by it.

For a point of reference, I max out at 400 with a destroyer, and I can get a river close to 370. I throw rhbh and always throw with some degree of hyzer. I can throw anhyzers but I prefer not to.

Honestly, I started throwing my volt and I a little underwhelmed. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it but I'm honestly kind of happy that I threw it. It is honestly a saint/tl hybrid in my opinion. I am not blown away by anything about it. I am very content with it but not amazed. It might stay in the bag. I don't know why but I just wasn't that impressed by it.

For a point of reference, I max out at 400 with a destroyer, and I can get a river close to 370. I throw rhbh and always throw with some degree of hyzer. I can throw anhyzers but I prefer not to.
The thing that impresses new the most is the ability to shape lines. It has one of the best turning flights if put on a slight anhyzer. It's. More stable than my saints were, but I can put it on more accurate turning lines. It's a bizarre thing, but I love it!

The thing that impresses new the most is the ability to shape lines. It has one of the best turning flights if put on a slight anhyzer. It's. More stable than my saints were, but I can put it on more accurate turning lines. It's a bizarre thing, but I love it!

I don't know, I just feel like a TL does the same thing. I don't feel like its ability to hold anny's was anything special.

The TL doesn't power down nearly as well as the Volt, and it's turn and fade action aren't as consistent/predictable. It's the nature of the L type wing vs the x type wing. I also feel the difference of the gyro compared to discs like the Saint and TL. I can throw the Volt slower and just snap it with a lot of spin and it responds much more than other discs would on the same type throw. I think this is part of why it powers down so well.

I've messed with a lot of discs with the same general stability as the Volt over the years but they all seemed to have clear strengths and obvious weaknesses regarding their role. The Volt just has so many strengths and I've yet to find a weakness in the straight control driver role.

Latest posts