• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I'd say unless your proton is beat in, it probably doesn't have quite the same gyro that the neutron does. They are a bit more OS and will fade out more.

b/c what I said before In4d-- My FR (real volt not -1 turn) is very hard black neutron plastic. I have a newer run softer gummy plastic and a few protons.

With all MVP discs there is not much flight difference off the shelf but with time I feel neutron gets more surface wear and essentially makes the discs slower (+glide)r. The proton plastic does not scratch as easily although both are very strong, one just has a different surface resistance. I feel neutron makes for a more true designed flight (which is why we see every new disc come out in this plastic) but its not really better than proton at all just a slightly different feel and how it seasons up.

Its apparent MVP has made strides to differentiate the plastiscs in feel and I am very glad to see this as the newer neutron is $$$$$$. I actually find it a little less durable which isn't a bad thing at all being my first volt I ever bought when they came out STILL flies like a volt.

I keep hearing that the proton volts are MORE over stable than the neutron volts are, but the video I watched of Mike c throwing them all side by side seems to show otherwise. The neutron and Eclipse volts he threw seemed to have a lot more fade than the proton ones.

I keep hearing that the proton volts are MORE over stable than the neutron volts are, but the video I watched of Mike c throwing them all side by side seems to show otherwise. The neutron and Eclipse volts he threw seemed to have a lot more fade than the proton ones.

FWIW a lot of those videos don't show the discs flying at the same height or nose angle. take it work a grain of salt when you factor in wind etc.

Just know a volt is a volt and the feel/long term seasoning will be slightly different. fresh from MVP they will all fly like volts.

I have not thrown a regular proton mine is an eclipse and it doesn't turn over a bit for me unless thrown into a head wind

my neutron volt was just a tad OS when I bought it. I had it almost a year to the day when I lost it. after a ton of use it was just a little understable. my proton eclipse was noticeably more overstable when I bought it and it really hasn't changed much though I haven't been using it as much cuz its kind of slippery when its cold. I'd say the closest I could compare it too would be a eclipse is like a new champ teebird only faster, where as the neutron is more like a TL.

i bought a white neutron volt the day it came out and it was slightly less stable than proton volts they day they came out. my next (yellow) neutron volt started out slightly less stable, and had a lower plh. i bought another (blue) n volt and it had a super low plh and was super flippy. i threw that one in a lake and bought another (pink) and it was between the blue and yellow in stability.

all of these discs had a different plh and were all made before proton volts were released, i hear that new neutron volts are as beefy as the proton volts, but i havent bought one yet.

I am not sure if it was a FR neutron but I got it soon after they came out late October 2112 I think?did the first runs have a special stamp? cuz the one I had was the standard neutron stamp also my eclipse and neutron were the same weight so that didn't enter the equation 174g

Last edited:
So did they change the Volt mold itself, or is it just natural variance? Or was it merely the change in equipment they went through?

Because I really like the first and second run Volts, and the first run Shock. I am not, however, a huge fan of their replacements. Obviously, the Shock came out not nearly as OS as they intended, and they fixed that, which is cool...but I'd like to see the old run Volts released again, even if under a new name.

Maybe MVP needs a factory store too, haha. Then they could give me my "original" Volt.

What will happen I think is they will either remake the volt with the new molding process or they will make a new line of the faster fairway class with the new mold. proc. the latter being more likely unless the axiom side has that in mind. one of the other guys I imagine is more qualified to answer the first run vs new volt question.

From what I understand the new volts are more overstable than the old ones, and supposedly more consistently made. I like the feel of neutron plastic but I've never really tried proton to compare. Well besides my Eclipse anode lol. I may just go to the disc golf store rather than online and get a feel and decide on the spot lol.

Since mvp already have a line of faster fairway drivers (speed 8-9 is pretty dang fast for a fairway lol) unless they use axiom to make similar discs under a different name that's about the best way I see us getting a return of the old volts. Unless the just make like a Volt L or Volt S or xs or xl or all the other letters they add to slightly different versions of the same disc lol

I didn't mean they would make faster fairways. I meant they might remake or expand the volt/amp/shock class with new names. which is why the axiom idea came to me late in the post that sounds like something they would do.

BTW I know where there is one of the flippyish first run shocks is ,sitting in a used bin.. or was last week when I was in there lol. I traded it in when I got my inertia haha

I don't think the differences are that noticeable. Not like Teebird/TL, Eagle/Eagle-L, XL/XS, etc.

But I would still like some of those early run Volts so I don't have to throw a brand new Volt into a wall a few times to beat it in. And it wasn't just the first run, BTW...it was up into the third or fourth run, then they changed equipment. I don't think they ever changed the mold.

So did they change the Volt mold itself, or is it just natural variance? Or was it merely the change in equipment they went through?

BTW...it was up into the third or fourth run, then they changed equipment. I don't think they ever changed the mold.

Both. new machines and improved QC now make for less variance than before across all models. It would appear they have figured out how to cool the discs quickly. No domey discs and consistency has actually improved with the volume increasing. :clap:

And it wasn't just the first run, BTW...it was up into the third or fourth run, then they changed equipment. I don't think they ever changed the mold.

I don't know about that:

Pink = 'new' Amp
Blue = 'new' Volt
White = 'old' Volt
Red = '2nd run' Shock

Looking at these profiles, especially the old vs new Volt, and the new Amp vs old Volt are revealing I think.

Maybe these are just 'slight' variances between runs...but I feel like they beefed the Amp/Volt up some in anticipation of the Servo class.

Last edited:

Latest posts