• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My DIY Tournament Backpack

KYdischippy

Birdie Member
I realized after playing a tournament last weekend where it was cold in the morning and warmed up by the end of the first round, and I didn't have anywhere to put my extra layers in my Fade Tourney, that I needed a backpack. I didn't want to shell out the $$ for a Grip so I followed the lead of this thread http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260&highlight=grip. Only I found a different bag.
The bag is the H2O Express Backpack (fishing bag), found at Acadamy Sports and Outdoors. I checked this evening, and they don't have it online, but had it in my local store. It was $50, and I spent about $10 on PVC pipe.
IMAG0003_zps7242d6e1.jpg

So as you can see, it is similar to the Cabela's bag. The big difference is that this bags compartment isn't big enough to do the full PVC frame. So I built a three sided frame (sides and back) from PVC and then used the cover of a binder to stiffen the bottom. Works great! In the bottom I have 4 Comets, 2 Wasps, 5 Cyclones, 4 Avengers, and a Predator. So that's 16 in the bottom, even being midrange heavy.
IMAG0004_zpsf1dce9be.jpg

In the front pocket I keep 3 Magnets. I have just kept the sides zipped up for now. Haven't figured out what I'll do with this pocket in the long run.
IMAG0005_zps0eeca16d.jpg

Behind the putters is a place for mini's scorecards, keys etc.
IMAG0006_zpse6ce604b.jpg

And this is why I bought it. Nothing much in there now, but there's room for layers, rain gear etc. The nice thing is unlike the Cabela's bag, this is a solid bottomed compartment, no place for small objects to fall through.
IMAG0008_zps3f8e72aa.jpg

And finally this shows the removable cooler attached. It's a cooler that zippers and velcros to the bottom of the bag. I don't see myself using it much but pretty cool nonetheless.
-Things I want to address: There is no cup holder on this bag. I need to figure this out.
-Also I think I will plasti-dip the bottom.
-And I need to figure out what I'll do about zipper positions on the pockets.
Overall for $50 plus $10 in PVC pipe, it's great!

Last edited:
So I have made more mods and improvements to my backpack. First and most important---> built in stool made from full pvc frame. So stoked about this. Since the pic I added the black foam pipe insulation around the top of the stool, and the material on the top of the bag works just like a camp time stool:
IMAG0009_zps7b8985b1.jpg

Next I decided to use the flap in front of the lower disc storage for my putter pocket. It frees up the upper front pocket for more storage for things like hockey puck, pencils, hand warmers and anything else small. This pocket also holds 3 Magnets:
IMAG0011_zps2ecbc1b1.jpg

And to hold this flap up so the putters don't fall out I'm using a bungee system. When I want a a disc from the cage I just reach in and pull it out. The putter flap pulls down out of the way, and then the bungees pull the flap back up. Putting them back in works the same. This also ensures none of the discs fall out. For now I just have bungees going all the way around the pack. If I like the system after a round or two, I will use grommets or something of the like to attach the bungees to the flap and sides of the bag.
IMAG0012_zps7b8f62c1.jpg

I'm loving this bag so far! Played a tournament this past weekend where temps started in the 40s and rose to 70. As I peeled a layer off I just stuck it in the top pocket and kept playing. So much better than my Fade Tourney for tournaments. P.S. Said Fade Tourney is for sale if interested.
To Do List: Plastidip, Mini pocket, pencil pockets, place to clip bagtags etc.

I just bought the bag and the PVC. I have multiple fittings. Is three sided cage the way to go? I've really torn as to how to go about that, plus what to do about stiffening top and bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.

That kid has future disc golfer written all over his face. He's like damn that is a sweet bag.

that looks sweet and i would totally rock the cooler..who needs cup holders when u have a cooler

I don't really know much about bag modification, but it looks to me like you would be able to buy some sort of elastic cord, attach one end to the PVC frame, and attach the other end to the inside of the putter flap. This way, you could still have the putter flap attached with elastic, but when you close your bag, the elastic would be inside if the bag, out of the way, and out of view.

Just something to consider when you make your next modification.

I just bought the bag and the PVC. I have multiple fittings. Is three sided cage the way to go? I've really torn as to how to go about that, plus what to do about stiffening top and bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.

I used a 3 sided frame leaving the front open. This helped with disc clearance for removal and replacement. To stiffen the bottom I used a binder cover cut to size to fit in tight, worked perfect. Didn't use anything to stiffen the top...

So far tonight, I have built the frame and removed a lot of extra stuff that the bag just does not need. The frame is REALLY tight. The space must be a good bit smaller than the Cabelas bag, as I had to recut just about every dimension several times. Built the same three sided frame as the OP because I did not buy enough three way connectors. In any event, the top and bottom of that compartment is pretty sturdy. I do not fell like it needs the extra cross bars. I doubt I ever do the pizza box or other stiffener.

Now for the Flexseal!

Caution on the flexseal. At these temps, it takes a LONG time to dry. I set the bag down on the kitchen table. :(

30 minutes and half a bottle of Goo-Gone later, I think I got it all up without totally ruining the table finish. :wall:

16 discs in main compartment. 4 putters in upper flap. Nothing in large upper compartment yet. Going to create a mini pocket from some extra material on that front lower flap. Not sure if to keep putters high or low. Nice problem to have I guess.

just got this bag it is pretty sweet so far ill be playin a round later but it seems like it will work. unfortunately i cant see KYdischippy's pictures.. can u try posting them a different way maybe? also does anyone have the dimensions of the frame you built?

Bag looks like it'll work pretty well. I like the pockets immediately behind where the putters are in the OP - great for wallet, keys, rule book, etc.

Just a friendly piece of advice - IMO (and I'm not the only one), the brush on Plastidip is more controlable and provides better protection (particularly in terms of wear and abrasion resistance) than the spray on coatings. I've used both, and the spary on is OK, but the brush on holds up better for the same # of coats.

instead of making a frame i ducttaped 3 pieces of cardboard together and cut them into shape to fit in the pocket that the rod holder bottom comes out of. it seems to be working very well and a frame doesnt have to be built but it functions similar to a frame. still working on how to elestic the front pocket to close automatically

So I have made more mods and improvements to my backpack. First and most important---> built in stool made from full pvc frame. So stoked about this. Since the pic I added the black foam pipe insulation around the top of the stool, and the material on the top of the bag works just like a camp time stool:
IMAG0009_zps7b8985b1.jpg

Next I decided to use the flap in front of the lower disc storage for my putter pocket. It frees up the upper front pocket for more storage for things like hockey puck, pencils, hand warmers and anything else small. This pocket also holds 3 Magnets:
IMAG0011_zps2ecbc1b1.jpg

And to hold this flap up so the putters don't fall out I'm using a bungee system. When I want a a disc from the cage I just reach in and pull it out. The putter flap pulls down out of the way, and then the bungees pull the flap back up. Putting them back in works the same. This also ensures none of the discs fall out. For now I just have bungees going all the way around the pack. If I like the system after a round or two, I will use grommets or something of the like to attach the bungees to the flap and sides of the bag.
IMAG0012_zps7b8f62c1.jpg

I'm loving this bag so far! Played a tournament this past weekend where temps started in the 40s and rose to 70. As I peeled a layer off I just stuck it in the top pocket and kept playing. So much better than my Fade Tourney for tournaments. P.S. Said Fade Tourney is for sale if interested.
To Do List: Plastidip, Mini pocket, pencil pockets, place to clip bagtags etc.

I saw this bag at Academy today and remembered your thread. This bag looks awesome for discing. I have a question though, what did you do with the flap over the putter pocket (your second putter pocket, the one on the bottom)? I saw the two buckles still there but the flap wasn't visible. Did you tuck it behind or cut it off? Thanks for putting this all up for us!

Just bought this bag at Academy before work after looking at this thread. Can't wait to get home and try out some mods on it. I have a question for anyone using this, have you tried using the top as the spot to hold discs using a frame and the bottom as the storage area? It seems like it would make sense as you wouldn't have to worry about the putter pocket being in the way when reaching for other discs but I haven't ever modded a non disc golf bag, and only looked at it for a few minutes before work, so I could be overlooking something that would prevent this from being useful. Thanks for the detailed pics and description of what you've done OP, it's good stuff!

I saw this bag at Academy today and remembered your thread. This bag looks awesome for discing. I have a question though, what did you do with the flap over the putter pocket (your second putter pocket, the one on the bottom)? I saw the two buckles still there but the flap wasn't visible. Did you tuck it behind or cut it off? Thanks for putting this all up for us!

I ended up cutting the extra stuff off the front flap and tucking it. Worked alright. I ended up ditching the bag due to stitching coming undone. Acadamy took it back no questions asked. If you have the motivation to beef up the seam where the straps meet the top of te bag, it's a great bag!

Latest posts