• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Popular Backyard . . .

Garrett76zt

Par Member
So I live in a neighborhood that has nice 1/2 acre lots and a nice amount of trees. I happen to live on one lot and also have the lot behind us which is all grass surrounded by trees. . . a perfect setting for my practice basket. At any rate, my neighbors behind me have three kids, 2 boys and a girl. The boys are probably 5 and 8 and are totally addicted to throwing discs with me in the backyard at my basket. Its kinda like Pavlov's dogs, they hear the chains and they come runnin. Haha.

Tonight I decided to get some serious time in with the basket but of course I was only 6 putts away from some quality time with my young friends. So tonight the 8 year old completely impressed me! For whatever reason they are enamored with throwing rollers. They think its really fun. But they never do it right and they have no control. So I take about 30 seconds and explain how the disc will act while rolling and that it will always try to find its way upside down, that it will usually turn left and that to increase distance they need to increase power and the angle on the disc. No lie, this 8 year old is parking discs from 70-80ft within 15min. He's rolling it around trees and bushes like a real pro! I think its funny because most of us consider control with rollers to be an advanced skill. I know I would be proud if I could say I could get myself out of trouble consistently with a roller from 100ft!

Anyways, kids are cool and disc golf is cool.

It's even more fun watching them learn tricks in some of the more extreme sports. They'll ride their little snowboards with their little friends trying to learn flips off a jump, falling and bouncing around like rubber balls only to get back up and keep going like nothing happened, then doing flips a few days later... I take one fall like they do and I'm out for at least an hour.

this is why when you were 5 years old you could beat Mario 3 in 20 minutes but now you can't get past world 7

I used to get busted playing the 1st Super Mario Bros. (not the cheesy Joust wanna be) on my NES late at night. The bedcover hiding the TV and me didn't fool Mom at all!

thats cool. I too (my parents) live on a lot with another one next to it that is still open. So I mowed it into a course and put up my 2 baskets. This was last year. But you should see the pictures...its a sweeeet course.
I'll see if I can post them.

My daughter is 9 and completely addicted to forehand rollers. My son actually is coaching my backhand game. As a primarily forehand player, due to the previously mentioned inability of us older folk to bounce back from extreme sport falls, my backhand game is sorely lacking.

I too was busted numerous times trying to make blanket forts over the NES and TV to play Mario 3!

I was referring to Lime Kiln park. That one, I don't really care for. I went to HS at Homestead, My buddy designed the course. But, I only played it 1 time...im gym class. And at that time, I wasn't into disc golf at all...WOW, looking back...thats crazy. I haven't been back to my HS since I graduated...years ago. well, 7/8 years. since 2003. anyway, my fam moved to Cedarburg.

yeah that was my mistake when I said it was in Mequon...I lived there for 20 years, so its habit. I haven't lived there really since I left for college. so, about 2004. I miss my old home...it would have made a nice course too, haha. I love DG.