• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Reinvention Bag

daveob3

Hey guys,

I wouldn't say I'm new to the sport but I'm just starting to try to get better. I started about 4 years ago with a couple guys who had also never played before, with awful generic discs. Then I found a Champion Eagle and decided to throw it overhand, and immediately threw it almost 300'. I've now been a primarily OH player for the past 4 years until I my friends started to get better and can now throw farther than me, so I'm getting back to basics.

Just from reading this site I've bought a few now that I thought would help me get better, but I definitely still need some feedback, not knowing much about stability or any of that. All distances are RHBH except for the XCal.

Star XCalibur 172g - Only use for OH shots, about 300', can't do anything with it backhand

Champion Beast 175g - My farthest and most accurate disc, can get it around 250 straight. But from reading I should probably back off this one?

Star Eagle-X 167g - Bought it to replace my original Eagle when I lost it. Havent figured it out BH yet, can only go about 200'.

Champion Eagle-L 173g - Pretty straight, about 225'.

DX Leopard 171g - Just bought this to try to work on distance. I've only trown it a couple times but i can get 200' or so when it doesnt flip on me.

DX Roc 167g - Havent been able to figure the Roc out either, can only get this to 150-175'.

GL Fuse 173g - I've been able to get this as far as the Beast, around 250', I guess because of the glide.

Star Dart 170g - My putter, everything within 100' or so. In the field I can get it out to 150 sometimes, but it is extremely floppy, I might get something more stiff.

So thats it, critique away. Thanks for any advice and for reading all this.

Last edited:
Get rid of the XCal and Beast. Using those at those distances is probably why you are flipping the Leo so short and the same thing you are doing to do that is killing your distance more than likely. I like what you are doing with the Fuse but suprised you can get it that far without it flipping on you when you flip the Leo. Sounds like you have a lot of OAT. (Off Axis Torque; wrist roll or generally throwing without maintaining a smooth plane all the way through)

You need to pick a putter that is stable-ish you really like and start driving that until you dont see a lot of flutter when it comes out of your hand. Really work on that and get that up to about 200' (more would be better but that might be a good starting point) then work on throwing that Roc further.

Then I will say get your Roc closer to 250' as wel and then you can work the Leopard and try to get the Leopard closer to 300', and then add the Eagle back in and then start trying to increase your putter to 250', Roc to 300', Leopard to about 350' (and thats where you will see the need for your Eagle L and maybe; just maybe you might consider the Beast again)

I recommend also checking out the technique forum. Cfairs "The Process" thread might be really up your alley if you want to improve. You are a perfect example of why we cringe to see players throwing XCals, and his thread probably could really help you.

Good news is, I think once you are willing to do it, and that OAT gets fixed, you just might see some rapid gains.

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I never throw the Xcal BH, only OH, do you think it is still useful for keeping around for OH shots? Or what would you recommend for that instead?

And I'll definitely get a more stable putter...maybe a Wizard or an Ion? I'll try and get a couple and figure it out.

I'm a bit surprised about what I can do with the Fuse too. It's certainly my most consisent disc, but it still flips on me quite a bit. And I will definitely check out that thread.

Thanks a lot for the advice, its nice to see that if i work at it i could improve rather quickly. :thmbup:

Ok thanks. Ill just start working with the Leopard and Roc and Fuse then, and i'll probably get something like a Wizard and work on driving with it. I'm gonna try to become as consistent BH with these as I am OH with the Xcal.

I think you have a pretty solid bag to work on, it seems like you just need to really work on technique and form. I might ditch the Beast, but that's personal prejudice - I much prefer the Valkyrie.

The best way I've found is to videotape yourself throwing in a field, then compare it to videos of pros throwing...or if you don't know what to look for post it on here and get some help that way.

I would just drop the Rocs and get an Opto Fuse and just carry Fuses for mids. Get some Ions or Wizards or Aviars or Voodoos or Challengers also. If you're explicitly working on your form, I'd just carry the Leopard and maybe the EL and leave everything at home until you start figuring it out. It's good that you're getting your Fuse out to 250, we just have to start getting everything else out there as well.

I would just drop the Rocs and get an Opto Fuse and just carry Fuses for mids. Get some Ions or Wizards or Aviars or Voodoos or Challengers also. If you're explicitly working on your form, I'd just carry the Leopard and maybe the EL and leave everything at home until you start figuring it out. It's good that you're getting your Fuse out to 250, we just have to start getting everything else out there as well.

Why the droppage of the Roc? It does things the fuse can't do... If he can keep from turning over a fuse I think he'd do fine with one... Wizards drive well, reason I switched to the Ridge was for durability, essentially the same flight as the Wiz though.

Aftershock is the illest mid in da game, so smooth, so versatile, so sexy... The Titanic putter is the exact same mold as the magnet, which is a beloved stable putter._________

Why the droppage of the Roc? It does things the fuse can't do... If he can keep from turning over a fuse I think he'd do fine with one... Wizards drive well, reason I switched to the Ridge was for durability, essentially the same flight as the Wiz though.

He said he's struggling to get a Roc past 150'. He's having some major issues with that apparently. If he can get his Fuse to 250' like his Beast then I'm guessing he's inclined to develop a finesse skill set so I'm advising him to be wary of the overstable stuff for a while and work on making neutral stable discs like the Fuse do what you want. It can't but help you become better.