• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

I carry 13 in the large pocket with room to spare for about 3-4 more and 2 putters up top. I can try to fit 18 after I get home from work and see how it goes.

For the post above that I forgot to answer the fishing rod holder fits a golf umbrella perfectly. It holds it vertically so you have to remember to duck under low branches :).

I wish there was a closer store I could go check these out in person, the deluxe looks to have some interesting features not sure it's best suited for DG though.

I definitely applaud your creativity and ability to retro-fit a fishing/hiking backpack into a dg bag. I can't help but to think that there comes a point when a bag that is not engineered to be a dg bag will eventually reach it's limitations in functioning as a dg bag. IMO it would cause someone to spend more energy trying to constantly 'make it work', than just enjoying a bag that is designed and created for dg. Counter productive is probably the easiest (maybe not the best) way to say it.

I can put discs in ANY kind of bag (grocery, backpack, pillowcase...yes i've seen it), and yes, it will work! But at what put is the hassle of trying to make something work (because you can save money) for something other than it was designed for wind up being just a big pain in the...

Let me reiterate, really love the creativity and the thinking out of the box:thmbup:, but something in me makes me wonder if this is really going to work GREAT for you (and not make you spend any unnecessary energy out on the course i.e. does the bag sit up perfectly on any kind of angle and incline or will you have to spend a couple of seconds trying to find the best way to get it to sit up, does the bag have a yoke system to distribute the weight of your gear properly, does the retro disc compartment allow you to put your disc back w/ out using two hands or trying to hit the 'perfect angle' into the compartment and in a matter of a second so that you can move on to your next shot? Those are the kind of things that could distract me or cause unnecessary physical/emotional/mental energy to be spent on my bag and not where it needs to be which is on the course.:thmbup:

Literally the only enrergy I have expended on this bag is figuring out where to put the safety pins and that took about a minute. I am not exagerating when I say this bag is almost identical to the Grip Eq bag which was "designed" for disc golf. I didn't just order it online in the hopes that it would work. I went to the store with a disc to make sure all of the dimensions worked.

My personal feeling is as long as you get a bag that fits your needs (ie size, quality, price etc..) it doesn't matter even a little as to what use it was originally designed for. I have a friend in Ohio that plays in PDGA tournaments (and wins Int divisions) with just a fanny pack on backwards. It holds his 4 discs and works perfect. I do feel slightly guilty for not supporting Disc Golf companies but I have found the quality and prices in bags outside of the disc golf industry to be significantly superior. I am like you in that I am not particularly interested in putting out a lot of effort in modifying or expending uneccesary energy on a bag. If you think what this bag is "designed" to do it is very similar to what a disc bag is supposed to do. Stay upright when set on the ground. Distribute the weight of the heavier lower compartment and fit comfortably. Top pocket for clothes and extra gear. Hold up in rugged conditions. Very similar to disc golf. I don't really believe using this bag is thinking outside the box at all, I think it is seeing an obvious but unplanned potential use and taking advantage.

"I do feel slightly guilty for not supporting Disc Golf companies"

why? if they had a comparable product for a decent price i'm sure you would buy from them. they have to compete if they want business in my opinion. that said i understand your sentiment.

This looks very awesome, glad you found it and posted it for everyone else. I feel stupid for not thinking of the safety pin idea for the zipper on my bag's pocket, great idea! I have a strap that won't stay adjusted on my quadshocks... fixed!

Can you take a picture on how you did your safety pins? I bought the larger version of the bag and It is incredible as far as storage space. But I have a little prob with the discs in the bottom wanting to roll out, so Im thinking about building an internal frame.

The first picture on the thread shows the safety pins. Did you need a closer up picture?

the small drink holder is the only thing holding me back on this, how much room to you have up top? pic?

thx

I actually live near a Cabela's so I am going to check out the back pack and that waist pack. Thanks for the tip.

So I have had some time to customize my bag(deluxe) now and I built an internal frame out of PVC pipe. And then my bag has a whole back compartment that has more than enough room for a camelback bladder that holds 3L/100oz. which is 3 nalgenes.
DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

the bottom compartment holds 18 discs
the side compartment holds 9 discs and
then the putter pocket holds 2 putters perfectly!!!!
Thats a total of 29 discs with TONS of room where the water bladder is located.

YGL, have you weighed your bag when it is fully loaded? Curious to know how heavy that is with 27 disc and water.

I have not but I carried it for 2 hours at a course yesterday and It felt lighter than the same amount of discs and 36oz. of water LESS as my Revo Dual Pack. But No Idea on exact weight but it sits really high on my back so that really helps.

The only problem that i could see is if you are a heavier set person or have really broad shoulders it might be difficult to get in and out of the straps as they dont loosen up a whole lot.

29 discs..dang..

I'd never need that much room but the smaller bag looks legit..might have to try it out, sounds much better than a Innova deluxe pretty much around my waist with my backsavers.

I only carry 20 discs on a normal tourney but if Im going out of town to bigger multiple course tourney I like to have the option of putting that extra 10 discs for odd shots and Back ups.

Plus the bottom compartment is a built in cooler so if I want I can stick 9 discs up top and fill the bottom with my favorite BEVERAGES ;)

I have had my Revo Dual Pack for almost 2 years now and I must say it has been worth the investment. i keep about 10 discs up top (mids and Putters) and drivers in the bottom. i even took out the frame so it is more manageable with less discs in the bottom. my only issue with it is the mesh water bottle holders. the condensation leaks thru or the bottle falls out. i have just started dedicating one of the side storage pockets as my water pocket.

Latest posts