• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mystery Ranch bag

Parks

Double Eagle Member
I guess the Mystery Ranch guy is now taking pre-orders for his bag, the Golf Mahal. The first production batch will be available in January, and I guess he immediately sold his current stock and some orders at USDGC to people that saw his bag.

http://www.mysteryrants.com/2009/08/the-golf-mahal/

The price is steep, but people seem to think its the end-all be-all of golf bags. The bag maker has been in business for 30+ years so its probably a safe bet to count on the lifetime warranty if needed, too.

$285, huh? That is steep, but not unreasonable for the amount of material and engineering going into that, similar to quality hiking packs. I'd bet that suspension system accounts for at least 1/3 the cost of the bag. That being said, I'm still a little dubious of the weight distribution, it really seems to be pulling down and away in the pics. I do applaud the dude for setting out to design a hardcore bag made for all sorts of elements though.

For anyone that missed the earlier discussions on the bag, you can read that thread here.

[speculation]

Seems like it would be more weight distributed on the sides when loaded up than a carolina. That's the main reason I switched to the Silverback, it's balanced toward the middle more.

I think that the GB Simian and Revo Dual Pack Lite will probably have a more comfortable weight distribution.

[/speculation]

$285 is super expensive for a bag, no matter the materials/engineering it has been done with.

$285 is high. It better be REALLY good. I was sceptical of the $200 price tag o the simian until I started using it. Maybe it will be worth it and appearently people will pay that price. I bet they were mad after the saw the Simian though :D

That thing is GINORMOUS, and it makes the Simian look much more cost effective, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Frank Delicious said:
that bag is going to appeal to like 5% of the DG market.

They will hit this portion of the market if dave buys it. I believe he comprises 2-6% of the market himself.

I won't argue that it's a lot of money, but I certainly can't begrudge a guy for bringing a new quality product to the DG scene. Yes, it'll be a limited market for sure, but it can still sell decently enough. Heck, there are golfers out there that regularly pay $40 for a piece of plastic that will never do anything more than hang on a wall, so it's not unreasonable to think that some would want to dish out money for something they'll actually use. Some people like to have the "best that money can buy" in whatever niche. Yeah, I probably won't be buying one as I've got a Simian (and still find it tough to admit that I spent $215 on that), but I wish this guy the best in his enterprise.

Not my thing at all - that is a LOT of frisbees to have strapped to your back.

But, new disc golf gear is always fun to check out. Progress progress progress.

1255387140009.jpg

im sure the quality is there but that thing is ghastly and looks super rough on the back. i dont see many folks picking this over a Simian....especially for $285 :roll: you could get a Simian AND a hooker

I know 3 people that brought these packs back from USDGC. At first I was in the same boat, thinking the bag was a bit much, cost wise and size. The ones at US were only $250, (only?) but the lifetime warranty makes it more reasonable as long as you plan to tour for a few years. The weight is distributed perfectly, even more so than my Revo Dual Pack that I've carried for 2.5 years. Before I switched to the dual pack I had a revo Tx bag with quads, and when I switched to the dual pack I knew I'd never want a regular bag again.

I carried a MR packs for a round on a course with extremely tough terrain along with 4 20 oz bottles and about 25 discs. I'd say the weight feels the same as my revo with only 16 discs and a 32oz water bottle, but it was obviously heavier. The umbrella sleeve works great, and taking the bag off and on with the umberella open isn't at all difficult. The thing that impressed me the most was the way you can collapse the side compartments if you don't need the space, it makes the thing about the same size as a regular tour bag.

I've never seen a Simiam or any GB bag in person, so I have no frame of reference to include it in this comparison, but basically you get what you pay for in such a small marketing niche.

The innova, lightning, discraft, gateway and the lower end revo bags aren't as well made as the high end revolutions or fade bags, just as the revos and fades aren't as well made as this Mystery Ranch pack.

Latest posts