• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Naming system for discs - your opinions

Found the old fart like me. :)

That said, I don't buy obvious drug named discs or the Legacy's with the bikini babes. Maybe it's because I play with my 14yr old son. Maybe it's because I am over 25 and don't feel restricted by the man. Maybe it's because I have dignity. (Shrug).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep. :) I lived through the ketchup is a vegetable, just say no and parental advisory for explicit lyrics phase and Jello Biafra is one of my heroes.

I do like the Roach and the Second run pinlaws though. If they were not some of the best flying discs for the slots they fill in my bag, I woukd probably be indifferent. But I've always leaned a little towards the dark side. Maybe I need to grow up. ;) I do have a 6 year old boy and he's learning to throw. He likes his Big Z Archer but it helps that that's his name too.

Roach approach is a thing where I play. Everytime I park it, my friends chirp "Roach approach!" I'm clean and sober but still have my fun.

Cheers.

All those discs would suck because the Office is a terrible show. Yeah lets just the camera angle every 8 seconds then zoom. balh blah blah blah blah New camera angle.....slight zoom in....blah blah blah blah dry humor that's not funny blah blah camera 3, slight zoom, catch that one guy looking right into the camera with a frumpy smirk....blah blah....I'm sorry, I DO get the humor they are using, its just a bad show...F A C T

I'm not going to argue that, but I do think that it's funny that you ended on an all caps FACT which was a running joke on that show.

I like dry humor, but was raised on British TV so that's probably a big part of it.

I'm not going to argue that, but I do think that it's funny that you ended on an all caps FACT which was a running joke on that show.

I like dry humor, but was raised on British TV so that's probably a big part of it.
I was raised on British humor too being that my dad is a Brit but I think the Office is least funny comedy ever to be put on the air.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I believe disc names greatly affect at least early sales and a poor name often dooms a decent disc to a very small circle of people that consider throwing them.

Once I find a disc I like I will buy it regardless of the name, but I avoid discs with names with negative connotations such as death, drugs, etc.

I don't think numbers appeal to the general buyer at all. Car manufacturers understand this and typically name cars names, but interestingly trucks often use numbers.

I think I would consider all bird names, I know some are already taken, but birds, like discs, fly and are colorful and eyecatching.

Some would be common and reliable like the robin or the crow. Some fast, some slow. If you made a disc like the groove, you could call it the Dodo or some silly name. Discs that are good rollers can be penguins or some other flightless birds.

I believe disc names greatly affect at least early sales and a poor name often dooms a decent disc to a very small circle of people that consider throwing them.

Once I find a disc I like I will buy it regardless of the name, but I avoid discs with names with negative connotations such as death, drugs, etc.

I don't think numbers appeal to the general buyer at all. Car manufacturers understand this and typically name cars names, but interestingly trucks often use numbers.

I think I would consider all bird names, I know some are already taken, but birds, like discs, fly and are colorful and eyecatching.

Some would be common and reliable like the robin or the crow. Some fast, some slow. If you made a disc like the groove, you could call it the Dodo or some silly name. Discs that are good rollers can be penguins or some other flightless birds.

Past the edit time limit.

If birds were the names - the Homing Pigeon would be a great putter name

Interesting discussion. I'm new to the sport, and have really benefitted from Innova's numbering scheme. At least, it taught me how the discs are organized, and what they are supposed to do when thrown properly.

As for naming, eh, I don't think that it matters much. The flight charts are more important.

I like the name Felon, though, because you never know what happens when you release a felon. :D

...Then you support the 7 deadly sins? If you really think about it which one is worse...

Interesting to ponder. I'm guessing that Pride is the most deadly of the sins.

I pick discs based on how they feel and how I think they'll fly. That said I do like when it lines up with an aggressively named disc (felon, criminal, thrasher, dagger, predator etc.etc.).

Myself and a very prominent pro used to pretend our discs were named after breakfast items (i.e. scrambled eggs, French toast, juevos rancheros) and the plastics were described as how the breakfast was served (i.e. buffet, mickey D's, fine dining) during Thursday morning dubs rounds. 'Nice buffet scrambled eggs toss' was always a fun way to describe a good putt.

i already posted once on this topic several months ago, but in the interim i ran across the spider thread and have begun to think a spider series would be fun.

ie. there's a black widow in my bag

careful, there's a brown recluse here this brush

wow... that grandaddy really has some long legs...

has a potential to add a bit of fun for those who get into the names

i suppose it might not be too fun for those who really have spider issues in their area.

Last edited:
A smug bastard would say "some folks have taste, and some don't."

Weed out the juvenile, the drab, the senseless, the clever, and what do you have left?

The ???

Personally I just like it when a company sticks to one system. Personally I like innova even though they are a little inconsistent, but many others are cool

Dunno if it was said before but I love Millenium's run designation. The constelation theme is cool too, but the 1.0 system is something I wish more companies would adopt to distinguish slight changes and varience.

Latest posts