• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Doss

HyzerUniBomber

* Ace Member *
Welcome to the power pocket.

s48mW4z.gif

Nate's backswing has been called the "wide rail" in the past to describe the fact that he moves the disc more noticeably to his side prior to the inward pull (yellow).

mMoDRSH.gif

I hesitate to get into the "inward pull" / "outward push" because I feel that that it's not 2 discrete motions. It's more of a cadence to the rotation: yellow being the cradling of the disc to the right pec, green being the extension and disc pivot.

If I was to put a full cadence to the motion, it would be
1. Leaving disc out wide as you move past it.
2. Disc coming into the right pec
3. Extension

Nate was the first person that I really went frame by frame on to see what he was doing and he's truly mastered it. Barry Shultz has a very similar backswing.

I don't think it's necessarily the most raw power for pure distance, but it's very low impact and balanced for a very good chunk of power.

Of course it's hard to tell with the bill of his cap blocking his eyes but it almost looks like he watches the disc all the way to the right pec.

Here's a superimposed video I made of Nate and Nikko driving. It highlights their overall similarities and their reach back differences.

I think i still throw a disc like im snapping a towel.

More like a straight line from start to finish.

Gotta figure out that outward push.

Consult, thanks for sharing that.

My quick impression (on the phone)...

Nate's form is more like bringing the disc in tight and deep into the right pec and optimizing the levering out for a later acceleration.

Nikko brings the disc through with more initial speed, and stays a bit widerfrom the chest.

You're out driving your car, dirt road, and you decide to have some fun, so you snap the wheel to the right so that the rear end breaks loose and slides around. I want to use this as a model to take one view of what happens when we throw a disc. For the rear end to break loose and snap around, or slide around the center of axis of the spinning car, it takes certain things: overcoming forward momentum, overcoming friction, velocity and some other items. Now, lets do our same trick but to help that rear end to overcome all those things, lets add in something. Before you snap the wheel to the right, steer the car a bit to the left, and then snap the wheel to the right. You will notice that the path you've put your car on lets it over come forward momentum, friction and the other items that keep the rear from slipping out, and drifting around the center of axis. In practical terms, it means less speed and less snap of the wheel to the right are needed to get the rear wheels to overcome momentum and friction and break free.

When you throw a disc, you are taking the far edge of the disc, the rear of the disc, and as you pull it forward, you are making it rotate around the center of axis as fast as possible. That rear of the disc has momentum that is forward, not spinning, and is on a path that you have to overcome to get it to rotate around the center axis. Just like with our car example, you can snap the disc around the center of axis, and get it to spin, but it takes more speed, and more snap at the hit to get that to happen than if you put it on a less direct path. That is, it takes more effort to get the disc to spin adequetely and to get a good throw if you simply pull it down the line and snap it out. What Nate, and a number of other great throwers do, is to wag the disc in the opposite direction of the final spin to put it on a path to overcome it's forward non-spinning momentum more efficiently. This means less energy is needed to get the disc to fly well.

What that technique allows them to do is to focus on direction and angles more than on the pull, thus increasing accuracy without giving up distance.

Nate is got the proto-typical form that you look for when throwing bombs with backhand. Everything that has been described from discussions on DGR and here can be visually seen with Nate.

Here are some stills of Nate's driving form, notice any differences? He does something different when he's ripping the snot out of a drive.

Attachments

• 95359FDF-287D-494D-A814-A94067E54578.JPG
    95359FDF-287D-494D-A814-A94067E54578.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 5822D96E-1226-4E5F-9A6D-99E2ECAE9D6E.JPG
    5822D96E-1226-4E5F-9A6D-99E2ECAE9D6E.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 113
  • E9415906-4478-4A08-8E52-B17E553C0909.JPG
    E9415906-4478-4A08-8E52-B17E553C0909.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 110
Here are some stills of Nate's driving form, notice any differences? He does something different when he's ripping the snot out of a drive.

I am guessing you mean his grip on the follow through. Most of the times I have a clamped down fist after the disc rips out on longer drives.

I am guessing you mean his grip on the follow through. Most of the times I have a clamped down fist after the disc rips out on longer drives.

Yup, it's a death grip throughout follow through -- it's not something I do but maybe I should try it -- might add some quick and easy distance. And he holds onto the disc longer than Nikko, much further out front before it rips out.

Attachments

• 27ADCE88-1ED9-404D-8A50-426FE5B2E9F3.JPG
    27ADCE88-1ED9-404D-8A50-426FE5B2E9F3.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 7E5D8293-D322-4FE4-A1ED-6D9596105219.JPG
    7E5D8293-D322-4FE4-A1ED-6D9596105219.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Latest posts