• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nate Sexton firebird

I got to throw mine yesterday before (and during) league night. I had anticipated this plastic blend to be more of a "beefy" 'bird - something with pro-level stability similar to Brinster's tweaks on the Teebird. Knowing this was a glow blend only added to these expectations but I found quite the opposite after throwing.

My Sexton Firebird was taking on the same flight patterns as my beat champ Firebirds. I found them to be less stable than other production runs fresh out of the box. You can rely on the same predictable finish you're used to from Firebirds but it takes awhile for these to hook up. The glide was great and I feel like I could throw them a bit further than most of my other 'Birds.

I would say the flex on these are somewhere in between champion and G* production runs - a little flex but not much. Because of this, the huge skips that can come from tossing this mold were diminished somewhat. While not board-flat, my Sexton 'Birds had a very minimal dome so the profile makes for a comfortable fit in the hand.

Besides the obvious flex shots and hyzer-bomb lines, I like to throw Firebirds for overhand shots and forehand rollers. Tomahawks and thumbers took the falling leaf patterns you would expect from these overhand throwing styles and landed straight in front of me with minimal movement after hitting the ground.

These things roll like a dream. The flex and profile make them resistant to turning when on the ground and make them a great candidate for distance rollers. Both of the holes I rolled on yesterday were parked for easy birdies as the softer plastic blend tends to "sit down" near the end of the roll with a minimum fade toward the label.

These are an easy replacement for a beat Firebird - definitely worth checking out if you need that spot in your bag filled. I feel a glow round coming on now that the weather is getting warmer!

That actually sounds really nice. Brand new champ firebirds are way too beefmonster for me to throw. I've tried to tough it out in the past to try and break one in but I could never put up with it. This sounds like a firebird I might actually throw!

Haven't got to throw yet but they feel just like me early 12x opaques. Which is exactly what I was hoping they would feel like when I ordered them. One of the 4 of mind was noticeably flatter in the shoulders than the others. I don't think it is coincidence that it is the lightest blue of the four. Less color pigment=flatter possibly?

excited to hear about the roller potential with these! I LOVE tossing fh rollers with my seasoned champ chicken and excited to try them out with the Nate!

I got in about a dozen throws with them this morning, and I absolutely love them. It flies like a beat in champ Firebird . The plastic is softer and grippier than the current run of JL Firebirds, but they aren't too soft by any means. It's an extremely useful level of stability, and they still plenty of wind fighting ability. They are also super cool looking.

Are these not available in 165-169g or are they sold out? They sound like my pearly/gummy 12x that I affectionately refer to as my "backhand Firebird." At 167g and being the straightest flying FB I've ever thrown, it's still my go to headwind disc and has never failed me.

I suppose I shouldn't be mad, the lack of 167g limited run discs has saved me a TON of money at both Innova and Discmania's shops!

DJs review is on the money.

So close to my seasoned felon that there was zero learning curve. The FB has more glide which is fun. And it glows! And I like the Nate Sexton taking the fire chicken's egg graphic.

The batch I ordered from was 173-175g and I believe they all are in that range.

DJs review is on the money.

So close to my seasoned felon that there was zero learning curve. The FB has more glide which is fun. And it glows! And I like the Nate Sexton taking the fire chicken's egg graphic.

The batch I ordered from was 173-175g and I believe they all are in that range.

It's actually a signature putt routine from Nate. If you watch any videos with him, you'll see him spin/flip the disc before he lines up his putt. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/ZBcUrjKieNc?t=11m53s

It's actually a signature putt routine from Nate. If you watch any videos with him, you'll see him spin/flip the disc before he lines up his putt. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/ZBcUrjKieNc?t=11m53s

OK, but I'm pretty sure he's taking that things egg, and the reason he's holding it that way is because its really hot. its a fiery bird and he should probably be using oven mitts to handle that egg.

OK, but I'm pretty sure he's taking that things egg, and the reason he's holding it that way is because its really hot. its a fiery bird and he should probably be using oven mitts to handle that egg.

You're free to believe whatever you like, but I can guarantee you he's flipping a disc and not stealing an egg.

I know they are only making these at max weight right now, but a run of these in the mid 160s would be so $$$ I can't even imagine it.

Had a Des chicken for a while. Great disc. The Sex chicken glides further and longer before hooking up. I think it would fly out of the box like a really beat in Des chicken but not as stiff. As another poster started, it feels like Prodigy 400g. Innova has a winner in their hands with this plastic. I'll be first in line for when they make a Tern in this blend. ((((((((please do this soon))))))

Latest posts