• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a torque-bearing FH disc that finishes straight

Hey I suggested Envy the first time haha, the ohms your fault! But man you have a big gap between a light electron and a heavy glow 2.0. The ohm actually sits "right" there.

The 168 ohm and I had a long love affair, it's that Anglo yellow haha day glow yellow that's gone from being an awesome thrill to a dull already gotter all done kinda yellow. I got that soft 174 cosmic electron envy and it's got fresh paint on it. And it's soft and sexy and new.

I might have to do some more in the field with my 174g Neutron Ohm. I was impressed but I was also determined to get good at my craft.

I feel like I should have a super simple bag, and once I get to, say, 1,000 throws with a disc, then maybe I think about variation. Prior to the 'super simple bag' the idea is to settle on what every piece of data tells you is the right tool for the job. The 'super simple bag' is supposed to be already kinda perfect.

I've seen nothing from Hex, Envy, and Teebird to convince me that those discs can't take me to the 95th percentile of my game. And how much could I gain from knowing those tools that much better? I feel like right now I could do 200 throws in the field with an Envy and another 200 on the course and even then I'm collecting data--on myself, on the disc. Figuring out which is which.

Treating it like a low-tolerance quality control process.

Idk, that Ohm so thicc.

I might have to do some more in the field with my 174g Neutron Ohm. I was impressed but I was also determined to get good at my craft.

I feel like I should have a super simple bag, and once I get to, say, 1,000 throws with a disc, then maybe I think about variation. Prior to the 'super simple bag' the idea is to settle on what every piece of data tells you is the right tool for the job. The 'super simple bag' is supposed to be already kinda perfect.

I've seen nothing from Hex, Envy, and Teebird to convince me that those discs can't take me to the 95th percentile of my game. And how much could I gain from knowing those tools that much better? I feel like right now I could do 200 throws in the field with an Envy and another 200 on the course and even then I'm collecting data--on myself, on the disc. Figuring out which is which.

Treating it like a low-tolerance quality control process.

Idk, that Ohm so thicc.

Yeah but the ohm flies pretty decent for those low fade throws.. I don't know where your electron envy is in the mix but the three you list are stable discs. And all very similar to each other. It's a solid core to a bag though. They are all well matched.

Yeah but the ohm flies pretty decent for those low fade throws.. I don't know where your electron envy is in the mix but the three you list are stable discs. And all very similar to each other. It's a solid core to a bag though. They are all well matched.

I thought about sneaking the Ohm into the bag, but then I remembered my vows.

I walk the line, buddy. I walk the line.

So out of curiosity... is your Hex filling this role now?

After today it is.

Played Bailey this morning, shared a story in the hex thread--not necessarily about tunnel FH shots, but I did have some of those this morning.

Then I played Wondervu a few hours ago. One of the holes was a tight hallway par 4 all the way to the basket, maybe 400 to 450. Hex, Hex (both FH), Envy tap in.

There's something about watching a disc that, after thrown on plane, shows almost zero parallax--that gives me the feels.

I'd throw it like that every time if I could.

Anyways, partially because of your rec, I've been really working on developing the right feel for a medium-firm flick to about 275' or so with this disc. Usually 250', want to keep it fairly chill. I've got it now for most throws, the frozen rope FH ice bridge.

Stop the presses. You beat the fade out of a Felon?!? How long has that disc been in your bag? I've thrown my least stable Felon for three years; while it now has quite a bit of turn, it still has nearly all of its fade. For me it's a mold that loses HSS but maintains LSS as it ages.

I completely missed this question SORRY ABOUT THAT...
I can say that people have watched shots with this disc and asked THAT WAS A FELON?

So my point of reference is that the turn has eclipsed the fade at even less than full power. I have had this specific Felon since the 25th Anniversary Am-World Doubles, so call it 6 years and it was my go to disc for about 4 years, as I refined my Forehand game. I threw it in places that throwing a Felon did not make the most sense, but I knew exactly where it would end up when I threw it, so if I felt the slightest tinge of nervousness about a shot - (This) Felon got the call.

AS such it got abused... and thus in the state of stability that it finds itself.

I have since added a Lucid-X to the bag to come back to the straight to heavy fade, but I don't throw it with near the repetitive audacity of my first.

It's fascinating! I don't understand it either, and I was a math/physics major at a top engineering school.

It seems like FH shots make discs turn/flip more (my experience), and I wonder why. The throw transfers momentum from the body into the disc as linear and angular momentum. Maybe FH and BH have different proportions? As in, FH has more spin rpm than BH? Or less? Not sure.

Then you have the rate at which that momentum decays. The wind resistance always eats up the forward velocity faster than rotational fluid friction of air eats up the disc's rotational rate, so you have disc behavior during the high-speed (linear speed) regime of flight and disc behavior during the slow-speed regime.
Fh has generally less spin but the major difference is the release. If done right backhand can release on a perfect linear line and the extensions of the arm counters the wrist opens up at release.While FH allways have the curve of release since your wrist follows the same curved line as your arm.

Fh has generally less spin but the major difference is the release. If done right backhand can release on a perfect linear line and the extensions of the arm counters the wrist opens up at release.While FH allways have the curve of release since your wrist follows the same curved line as your arm.

Great insight! So many planes of motion to line up on a FH at the moment of release, seems very difficult to line up shoulder, elbow, and wrist--not to mention fingers! Even the most elite FH pros have some off-axis on their hardest throws.

It's good for form to remember the power is generated through the circular motion, because for accuracy you like to tell your mind that it's a linear thing.