• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need an Overstable Fairway Driver!

I love my champ banshee for overstable fairway duties, really predictable and good at fighting wind. It's also a solid short overhand disc for me.

This thread makes me want to KILL whoever stole my seasoned Champ Banshee off of me..... fa' reals y'all...

Last edited:
If you are really only throwing your your TL to 300' then you would have a hard time getting some of the truly overstable discs over about 225' I would guess. Something like a Star PD(Freak) or a Champion Eagle-X would probably fight the wind enough with your current throwing distance to be a workable fairway driver in anything under 30mph or so winds. If you live somewhere with LOTS of wind (Kansas for instance) you might do better with something more stable while sacrificing distance. Discs that would work for really windy climates would include Firebirds, XXXs, Tridents (based on hearsay), Predators, or Champion PDs. While Firebirds and the like are generally faster than a fairway driver in terms of rim width they fly shorter or similar distances as a fairway driver for most players.

Whippet or Viper. Viper is mostly available in Dx but I think you can find some CFR stuff in premium plastic (good luck). Whippet is more widely available in CFR premium plastic. You can pick up a Champ glo Whippet for about $20. Both are great for all your overstable fairway needs. The DX viper breaks in to be a really great disc and both are very consistence in my experience.

Banshee or Reaper. Just my preferences and it really depends on what brand you like better.

I do have an Ascent now, but it is not as overstable as these discs. I am waiting to see where the Ascent ends up after some beating. Unfortunately my schedule has not let me play all that much as of late.

This thread makes me want to KILL whoever stole my seasoned Champ Banshee off of me..... fa' reals y'all...

This post scares me, boy! Are you about to snap and start lumping politicians on the head?

Get a DX Whippet or Viper. They may change over time but they'll never get understable, especially the Whippet. Cheap and effective solution.

The OP said overstable fairway... so I am going to eliminate the River, Teebird, Eagle, and OLF. I would caution against the Whippet since they are not mold consistent or particularly easy to find in the higher quality plastics. When I am disc shopping, I look for a disc that (1) will most likely have the same mold across runs and (2) be readily available in my plastic of choice and (3) keep its desired flight pattern for as long as possible... That being said:

- Champ Firebird
- Z Predator
- Opto XXX or Trident

^^^
this is reasonable

I think the differences being that the Pred and FB are probably longer than the XXX and Trident

I haven't thrown an XXX but my understanding is that they are redonkulously overstable

being a slower speed disc I still think the Trident is a good choice
it is easily and readily available and in quality plastic

Have others have good luck with the Trident? I bought one (beautiful disc) but I don't like the way it flies. My fairways push the 350 mark, but I can't get the trident to travel more than about 200-250 before it turns over and tanks into the ground. Now admittedly, it did that even into a 20 mph headwind, but my Drone goes farther than that.

All my Whippets are prior to the Whippet X and they're very consistent. All of the DX Whippet X's have benn pretty consistent too. Still, the Firebird is a good call, may be closer to a driver than a midrange as I've seen them fly pretty far.

Or, if you can find one get a Ram. It will be the most overstable disc you've ever thown until it hits a few trees. :D

ESP Pred. Straighter and longer for me than Z's but the ESP's will get flippy once thrashed.

I throw RHBH about the same distance as you and my main drivers are teebird and XL (which is close to a TL). Here are my experiences with some of the discs being mentioned.

Banshee - The most useful disc in my bag. It is my go to disc for overhand and sidearm shots. Backhand it is my main headwind driver, it is great for straight holes that finish hard left (flex shot). Released flat you will get a good consistent left curve.
Trident - really overstable, total meathook with no glide. I found that I could get almost as much distance out of a D - Drone. I would think that this would be a better choice for those throwing in the 350-400 range.
Viper - I love the viper, but it only comes in DX plastic. If I had one in champion plastic it could challenge my banshee.
Eagle X - I have only thrown it in DX. I really like it but I feel it is closer to the teebird then the banshee. I think the Banshee compliments the Teebird better. However you may find the eagle works well as a compliment to a TL.
Firebird - This is a distance driver and was too much disc for me. I get just as much out of the banshee.

Have others have good luck with the Trident? I bought one (beautiful disc) but I don't like the way it flies. My fairways push the 350 mark, but I can't get the trident to travel more than about 200-250 before it turns over and tanks into the ground. Now admittedly, it did that even into a 20 mph headwind, but my Drone goes farther than that.

Just played a round with my new XXX and I found it to be less overstable than I imagined.. I plan on getting a Trident and throwing the two side by side until I figure out which is meatier.

My favorite by far is the Reaper....but it is OOP. :gross: The banshee should be similar but I don't like it as well.

My son really likes the Trident. I really like the Orion LF, or maybe Predator.

The OP said overstable fairway... so I am going to eliminate the River, Teebird, Eagle, and OLF. I would caution against the Whippet since they are not mold consistent or particularly easy to find in the higher quality plastics. When I am disc shopping, I look for a disc that (1) will most likely have the same mold across runs and (2) be readily available in my plastic of choice and (3) keep its desired flight pattern for as long as possible... That being said:

- Champ Firebird
- Z Predator
- Opto XXX or Trident

All of your suggestions would be fine if the OP had 375-400' of power, but he doesn't. He has 300' which makes all three impractical. Will they be overstable? Absolutely, but there are much more efficient choices like an OLF or Eagle X that may not be true overstables per say, but will fill the role for someone in 300' range without sacrificing too much distance.

Latest posts