• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need an Overstable Fairway Driver!

All of your suggestions would be fine if the OP had 375-400' of power, but he doesn't. He has 300' which makes all three impractical. Will they be overstable? Absolutely, but there are much more efficient choices like an OLF or Eagle X that may not be true overstables per say, but will fill the role for someone in 300' range without sacrificing too much distance.

I agree with this. Banshee might even be a little much at his strength. Champ Eagle X will probably do the job pretty darned well.

All of your suggestions would be fine if the OP had 375-400' of power, but he doesn't. He has 300' which makes all three impractical. Will they be overstable? Absolutely, but there are much more efficient choices like an OLF or Eagle X that may not be true overstables per say, but will fill the role for someone in 300' range without sacrificing too much distance.

Good point - If that is the case, then I (and likely others on this site) would recommend discing down until the OP has the right mechanics to push a TL past the 300' mark.

I am a proponent of the "it's not the arrow, it's the archer" mentality because the disc is (for the most part) remaining constant whereas the player's motions and movements may be constantly changing...

^ I agree. And a gazelle is not overstable either. The only thing that comes close with a gazelle is my 11x kc pro which is flat, so its a little more stable than normal.

I'm trying to figure out what is meant by "fairway" driver. I've always interpreted this to mean straight flying at its intended speed. I've always interpreted "overstable" to mean fades left RHBH at its intended speed.

He said in the OP that he wants the disc to fade left and goes on to say in later post that he wants it to fade left into a head wind.

I throw a RoadRunner 325' flat with no wind. I hyzer release at different angles up to 10-12 mph headwinds. I have a 165g Ch Destroyer that I only pull out for 25mph headwinds and it will fade left maxing out at 300' (again I'm not a big arm). The destroyer finishes with a skip that makes up 1/4 of my overall distance and fades left.

I use my Ch Gator A LOT into the wind and get at least 225-250' with it into a head wind and it fades left.

I'm only bringing this up to mention that I don't think that it's too crazy to have fast speed stable disc for throwing into headwinds. You're not going to make up big distances by throwing a disc like this, but the wind is generating a lot of "speed" on the disc that will produce better results for under powered arms.

In OKC we play wind all of the time...big wind. As an Ultimate player you have to learn how to power down, hyzer, and get big rotation in the wind. With I do this to a point, but also find good results throwing a fast speed stable disc into headwinds...IF i want to both fight wind and fade left when thrown flat.

Last edited:
My vote is for a champ glo whippet x. Nice and overstable. I dont know whats up with these people saying a river is overstable.

I have an Opto River, wouldn't call it o/s but definitely way more stable than my Leos that a lot compare them to. Joe's chart has the River & EX with the EXACT same stats, & many here have said EX. So River=o/s? No, but if the EX would work for the OP I would think the River would also. Either that or Blake was way off with the River & I don't think that is the case. For a bigger arm the River might be u/s but don't know if 300' would be big enough. Just my humble opinion :)

There is a huge stability difference between light and heavy Gold Line Rivers. My 162 flies considerably understable compared to my 176 and 178. I have not seen as much difference in my 172 and 177 Optos and they are just a tad more stable than my heavy Gold Lines. So a decent weight Opto River may be the way to go.

Can I throw out for consideration a mid to high 160s Gold Line Striker. A little less glide than the River but a stronger low speed fade. It will get your more distance than an Eagle but will not be as crazy as a Wraith or a Surge at that power level.

I love my champion banshee. I had been throwing a DX Banshee for a while, and that treated me nice but eventually beat in a little more than I needed. Tossed the champion in my bag with a spiffy fairway beetle dye I did, and at first it was a hard to manage disc, but after a few weeks it became one of my most reliable discs for all kinds of shots. Hope I never lose it.

The River is NOT overstable... barely stable if anything. I like my Viper alot, though it has lost much of its overstability cause they only make it in DX (minus CFRs)

aj

The River is NOT overstable... barely stable if anything. I like my Viper alot, though it has lost much of its overstability cause they only make it in DX (minus CFRs)

aj

No it's not overstable, but it has identical stats to an Eagle-X according to Joe's. Is an EX barely stable? Quite a few people have said Eagle-X. I just said if they have the same stats the River may work as well

No it's not overstable, but it has identical stats to an Eagle-X according to Joe's. Is an EX barely stable? Quite a few people have said Eagle-X. I just said if they have the same stats the River may work as well

No offense meant, but I just got one and after throwing it a bit I haven't found it to be overstable at all. Also, the River is rated a 7/6/-2/1 which is understable and pretty consistent with how it threw... I looked at Joe's chart and it has the River, Assassin and Eagle-X as all flying exactly the same which I don't really think is true:confused: Anyone wanna shed light on that? But the River is a fantastic disc, just not what the thread called for :thmbup:

aj

No offense meant, but I just got one and after throwing it a bit I haven't found it to be overstable at all. Also, the River is rated a 7/6/-2/1 which is understable and pretty consistent with how it threw... I looked at Joe's chart and it has the River, Assassin and Eagle-X as all flying exactly the same which I don't really think is true:confused: Anyone wanna shed light on that? But the River is a fantastic disc, just not what the thread called for :thmbup:

aj

It's all good, takes alot more to offend me! I wonder about the rating also. Some say it's u/s & some, like me, found it more stable than expected. But either way it is a sweet disc, I've only used it one round & threw it every chance I could, whether I needed to or not! If you have a bigger arm I guess it would be more u/s

It's all good, takes alot more to offend me! I wonder about the rating also. Some say it's u/s & some, like me, found it more stable than expected. But either way it is a sweet disc, I've only used it one round & threw it every chance I could, whether I needed to or not! If you have a bigger arm I guess it would be more u/s

Definitely give it some field practice time to learn how it throws... If you muscle it, you can have some serious turn-and-burn problems. Learn how it throws though (a little hyzer flip for me) and it glides for days:p

aj

I think rivers stability varies,

I had an opto that was super flippy, but my buddy has a gl that is stable for days, idk.

I think rivers stability varies,

I had an opto that was super flippy, but my buddy has a gl that is stable for days, idk.

It is this that probably brought up the whole idea that maybe the river might be viable for the OP. As I noted earlier, there is a wide range of stability within the river dependent on plastic and weight. It definitely is not overstable, especially in the hands of someone who can easily get it out further than the OP. It might be more guess work than is necessary but I think eventually a river could be found that fits what is being sought after here. I love my heavy GL River for its comparative perfect neutral stability in my hands and i can easily get it out to 360 or more. With clean form i am pushing 380 or more. To get what the OP is looking for, i would turn to the newer Strikers, a Wraith, or something with a little more speed like a Destroyer, Force, or DD.

I remember when i first started pushing out to 340 feet and I thought my Surges and Avengers were absolute meathooks.

With that in mind and the range we are talking about here, maybe something like a Striker, Ascent, Avenger, or a Wraith might be in order. They will start out as overstable for a 300' player but straighten out and become more of a main driver as that distance plateau is overcome.