• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

need an understable disc any suggestions?

D-Roc

Bogey Member
Hey guys i throw bosses and destroyers as my main drivers for straight shots. I throw pretty hard, about 400-450ft, but my problem is all my discs are stable except my roller which is a vulcan. I need a disc for those right doglegs, like a disc that will turn over and go right for a while but yet still come back a little. Any suggestions??

thats a good suggestion i was thinking about somthing i can go buy but i bet i can find someone who wants to get rid of an old destroyer

Beat up your Destroyers some more, or get a Pro one and season it. Usually a beat in overstable disc will be more reliable than a naturally understable one.

If you really want something understable and long out of the box you're going to have go for something in a baseline plastic (Pro or X) or something inherently understable like a Katana. ESP Nukes are usually pretty understable from what I've seen, easy to turn at that power level. I'd advise against the Nuke SS, some are great but from what I've heard most of them are even flippier than Vulcans.

Oh yeah, the Flow and Sword might fit the bill nicely. Out of those the Flow is easier to turn, especially the flat Gold Lines, but the Sword can make up for it by holding a mean anhyzer. It'll also turn with some seasoning. Either that or just get a Tournament Plastic one.

Have you ever tried throwing your stable discs as a turnover shot? If they are stable to overstable, they should still be able to come back a bit after coming out of the right turn as long as there isn't a super low ceiling.

Hey guys i throw bosses and destroyers as my main drivers for straight shots. I throw pretty hard, about 400-450ft, but my problem is all my discs are stable except my roller which is a vulcan. I need a disc for those right doglegs, like a disc that will turn over and go right for a while but yet still come back a little. Any suggestions??

Get a max weight Leopard. That is what Barry Schultz uses, and it has done wonders for my game in tight wooded lines. Champion seems to be a little more overstable, and Pro plastic seems the most understable that can still take the beating of hitting a tree full steam.

I would suggest an Elite X or Z XS. The Elite X version is a little more understable. Very easy to control driver, great for all sorts of shots. Maybe a TL or KC Pro Cheetah would work, too.

I use a flatter GL Flow or a Champ Valk for shots like that. The Valk won't come back from a flat release, but with some hyzer it will go straight for a while, turn over, then come back a little if it has enough height.

The Nukes that I have thrown have been hard to dial in. They are pretty sensitive to release angle and nose angle compared to the Flow and Valk.

For reference I throw Flows (domey opto and flat GL) around 425-450' and the Valk to about 425' on a hyzer flip.

Last edited:
I think a pro destroyer might fit the bill. They beat in pretty darn fast or maybe even disc down a bit and try a pro wraith these can be a thing of beauty and are a bit desrtoyerish which might make you feel a bit at home.

A couple outside of the box you may want to try are an opto River, Flow and maybe a sword.

Cheers - Koffee

If your throwing 400-450 , it sounds like a echo or a star wraith would be a good anny driver for ya.

If your throwing 400-450 , it sounds like a echo or a star wraith would be a good anny driver for ya.

yeah this. or like others have said a beat destroyer or maybe a lighter one will probably do it. i threw havocs for a little while and they worked but became too flippy. a beat havoc will friggin bomb though if you have a enough room to work it. now i throw beat star or pro destroyers for the shot you are talking about.

Elite Z Nuke SS, it will be very straight for a little while, but slam it into a couple trees and let it become your turnover disc.