• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some outside feedback

Schoens

Hey everyone,

I've been pretty inconsistent about my game for years now, some years only playing a couple of times, but this summer I realized what the game meant to me, and decided to dive in and try and get serious about it for a change. For years I've always carried just a few discs, primarily heavy, high speed drivers (Nuke, etc), a single midrange (Classic Roc), and a couple of putters (Pro Challenger, Banger GT). After doing some research I realized I was doing it all wrong, so I gave away all my discs (except the Roc, which I love), got a decent bag, and started putting together a collection of mostly midranges/fairways/putters, with a few drivers. My putters are all >170, mids are between 168-180, and the drivers are 168, with the exception of the Beast which is 130 (love to hyzer flip this one). The discs I'm throwing now are in my sig, and I'm pretty happy with all of them.

I throw primarily RHBH, but throw forehand from time to time when needed. I'm at a point now where I can drive consistently around 300ft with my backhand, which is good enough to par most holes I play as long as I'm on my game, but since I'm making the switch from spin putting to pitch putting, my putting game is totally broken, so I have plenty of bad days.

Here's the goals I've set for myself this year: I want to be able to improve my backhand form so that I can get my drives out to the 350-400ft range I know I should be able to get to. From there I want to focus on my putting game, since I'm already pretty solid with my approaches. If I can accomplish those goals, I should have a pretty solid par game going, and can work on more advanced improvements next season.

The video here is a standing RHBH throw, with a 174g Legacy Gauge, and of the 6 or 7 discs I threw and have video of, they all basically went the same distance (250-275ft), and my form was almost identical for all of them (had to look at my discs to know which videos were which). I'm not sure what I should be getting from a standing position like this, but I'd assume 300-350ft isn't an outrageous expectation. When I add a xstep to this, I end up at about 300-325ft, but my xstep is pretty low key anyway, so that's about what I'd expect.

My own notes (please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these things):

- I'm getting my elbow in front, but only just barely. I'm guessing if I can get an even more pronounced lead with it prior to the opening of my shoulders/arm, I could get a better hit.
- I have little to no weight transfer during my rotation from what I can see. Seems to me I should be holding a wider stance, and loading my back knee more, so that I can use that to kick off the rotation with more force, then shift my weight on to my front leg to help build more torque. I'm not really sure though.
- I don't show the flight path of the disc here, but my release is flat, and the disc flies smoothly, so I don't think I have any OAT going on. I tend to throw low though, and in fact the throw here never goes above 10ft for the entirety of it's flight. I've been trying to find a sweet spot with getting it higher, but I have one of two problems in general (this is with my xstep), I either drill it into the ground (~5% of the time), get it perfectly flat like I do here (~85-90% of the time), or release it high and it stalls out (~5-10%). Not sure what I can do or should be doing to get the right release so that it takes off higher without stalling, but I'm sure I can get more distance with that alone.

So I'll stop talking here and link the video. Tear it apart dudes!

I noticed youtube jacked up the video somehow, and blurred out some of the faster moving parts. If this isn't really usable, and anyone knows a better place to host the original, let me know.

Yeah, zero weight shift(spinning out rear foot), and you are tilted back at release so your arm swing isn't parallel to the shoulders. Going into the backswing there should be equal and opposite motions, your arm/disc moves backward and your rear hip/body should move/clear targetward from behind you(hogan power move). Your rear heel spins away from the target so your weight actually reverses backward, you want to maintain torque and have the ankle/heel move targetward before the toes leave the ground, that would be a positive move to the target. Also you need to tilt your spine forward toward your knees.
Notice how I stride forward like a batter in the backswing, I'm so loaded/twisted into the rear side I have no choice but to move forward.

Thanks sidewinder! That helps a bunch, I've seen a few of those videos, but not all of them, so thanks for collecting them in one place for me. I'm heading out to play a round this afternoon, so I'll give your corrections a shot, and if I'm able I'll record an updated video.