• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course coming in 2014 at Frank Liske Park in Concord, NC

Where's that course map that was mentioned earlier?

Sorry bud I forgot about that.

Unfortunately the site won't let me upload the file. shoot me an email address through PM and I'll send it to you. Same to anyone else who's interested

Ok here we go. Had to do some File conversions.

Attachments

• Disc_Golf_Layout_3-1.jpg
    Disc_Golf_Layout_3-1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 99
^^A hole near the tennis courts at Frank Liske. The trees are about 75-80 feet in front of the tee pad. Looks like it will be a choice of hyper/anhyzer, with a straight throw option(?) during colder months. I like what was done here with only 3 preexisting trees.

I have been taking a portable target out here for years. It will be nice to just show up with my discs from now on.

^^A hole near the tennis courts at Frank Liske. The trees are about 75-80 feet in front of the tee pad. Looks like it will be a choice of hyper/anhyzer, with a straight throw option(?) during colder months. I like what was done here with only 3 preexisting trees.

I got to walk the course and put out markings for the baskets. The basket is next to that clump of trees directly behind the center tree. Not too difficult but the teepad placement does make it a little more interesting.

is that a shot over a parking lot i see in the map?

oh Russell..

It does not look very exciting at all... looks like a lot of back and forth bombs over an open field. No thanks.

The one thing to understand here is that there was not really a lot to work with there. (based on the times I tried to get disc golf in that park) What I remember is that it was mostly open fields with very sparse trees. While it may not be a "destination course" it will be a course in that area for people to cut their teeth on. Hopefully there will not be any real safety issues but if there are we can probably address them with the park folks.

As stated before, I am very familiar with this park, and very excited.

--It will likely be a better option than sort-of-nearby Dorton Park(Dorton had very little land to work with). The area really needed it.
--It is a great park with many activities for the whole family, and disc golf will be showcased to new people, out in the open. There will be a lot of conversations struck up between discers and discers-to-be-recruited.
--While it is mostly open, the park is like one gigantic hill with just a few level areas. So it won't open AND flat. Might be a nice workout to play it, or at least a nice workout to return to hole one for your second round.

And now for the con....... If that course map is perfectly correct, yes, there likely will be safety issues.

--I don't plan to throw near the overflow parking lot near the baseball fields or the children's playground area, unless the place is just flat out empty. I would hit someone and/or their car eventually. Also, one of the holes on the lake side of the park LOOKS rather close to a shelter that is often used by folks.

--I always pictured a 9-holer in the southwestern portion of the park, starting with the wooded area( current hole 4ish?) and extending to the tennis courts. That area of the park has always been vastly underutilized. But the part around the lake has a lot more people, especially on the weekends, and there will be an adjustment period in which people don't understand they are standing on a golf course with thrown objects that could really hurt them.

One thing to keep in mind: I'm told there are future plans for Frank Liske(more stuff to be built?) so we don't know what limitations or "longterm vision" the designer was working with.

Also, maybe the map gives a false sense of things, and the course will not be as unsafe in actual practice on the ground.

Again, though, I'm super excited. I don't need an extreme challenge. This course might be a nice contrast to Reedy for me.

Correction: It looks like hole 18 is a little closer to hole one than I thought. So maybe it won't be quite as much of a workout to "return to hole one for your second round". But there will definitely be some uphill walking with some of the holes, a little moreso on the back 9? Also, maybe the last hole will not be as close to some shelters as first thought. I'll have to just get out there and check it out. Thanks.

As stated before, I am very familiar with this park, and very excited.

--It will likely be a better option than sort-of-nearby Dorton Park(Dorton had very little land to work with). The area really needed it.
--It is a great park with many activities for the whole family, and disc golf will be showcased to new people, out in the open. There will be a lot of conversations struck up between discers and discers-to-be-recruited.
--While it is mostly open, the park is like one gigantic hill with just a few level areas. So it won't open AND flat. Might be a nice workout to play it, or at least a nice workout to return to hole one for your second round.

And now for the con....... If that course map is perfectly correct, yes, there likely will be safety issues.

--I don't plan to throw near the overflow parking lot near the baseball fields or the children's playground area, unless the place is just flat out empty. I would hit someone and/or their car eventually. Also, one of the holes on the lake side of the park LOOKS rather close to a shelter that is often used by folks.

--I always pictured a 9-holer in the southwestern portion of the park, starting with the wooded area( current hole 4ish?) and extending to the tennis courts. That area of the park has always been vastly underutilized. But the part around the lake has a lot more people, especially on the weekends, and there will be an adjustment period in which people don't understand they are standing on a golf course with thrown objects that could really hurt them.

One thing to keep in mind: I'm told there are future plans for Frank Liske(more stuff to be built?) so we don't know what limitations or "longterm vision" the designer was working with.

Also, maybe the map gives a false sense of things, and the course will not be as unsafe in actual practice on the ground.

Again, though, I'm super excited. I don't need an extreme challenge. This course might be a nice contrast to Reedy for me.

In the future there is going to be a football field added in the area next to the tennis court parking lot that does not have dg holes.

I have many of the same concerns but we will see how it all turns out.

Something else to think about is this park sits on the highest point in cabarrus county so the wind is often swirling and moving pretty quick. There are a few holes with elevation so it won't be extremely simple.

It is not as easy as it looks on the map.

Walked the course today with the benefit of the map and SOME hole markers out there. My impressions:

Hole 1: yawn, but good for a warm up throw!
Hole 2: yawn, but good for a warm up throw!
Hole 3: The map has the hole "hyzering" into the trees, but I actually saw a marker in the open area. If the basket is in the open area, it's another underwhelming, but "warm up" appropriate hole.
Hole 4: The truly wooded hole here. Requires some extreme accuracy. Safety concern? I hope the basket is not too close to the popular playground there.
Hole 5: Extreme safety concerns aside(since you are practically throwing into a parking lot), there is good use of very limited trees, and it will be really cool if the basket is on that large mound.
Hole 6: Interesting. I never would have thought of that. It is sort of like throwing along a giant ditch, I guess. Mild safety concern? Kind of near the overflow parking lot, but there is a degree of barrier there.
Hole 7: It APPEARS as if the "fairway" includes a very popular walking trail that I have used many times myself. Danger alert!
Hole 8: Good use of very limited trees.
Hole 9: Wide, wide, open. Not sure if the basket placement will involve trees or not.
Hole 10: Good use of limited trees. Mild safety concern. Near walking trail.
Hole 11: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 12: Good use of VERY limited trees.
Hole 13: Just an open, downhill hole? Curious tee placement, since some nearby trees could have been used, but I'm assuming it has something to do with future construction in that spot. Mild safety concern. Errant throws might hit the tee pad for 12, but it is all very visible.
Hole 14: Good use of limited trees. Feels very, very long. Mild safety concern. Watch for cars on the road.
Hole 15: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 16: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 17: Good use of limited trees. Mild safety concern. Those trees to the right of the basket include some very popular picnic table shelters. On the plus side, it is a great spot to stop and relax and watch some discers.
Hole 18: Very uphill. Get in a strong finish to your walk/workout. Mild safety concern. The aforementioned picnic shelters will come into play.

Overall I am happy with it. I'm better than a newbie, but nowhere near a pro, so it will definitely challenge me! And for people who are tired of throwing in the woods so much around Charlotte, it should be a great contrast.

Figured I could clarify a few of the gray areas for you. For the record I have no input into the design here. I am simply a Park Ranger at the park.

[
Walked the course today with the benefit of the map and SOME hole markers out there. My impressions:

Hole 1: yawn, but good for a warm up throw!
Hole 2: yawn, but good for a warm up throw!
Hole 3: The map has the hole "hyzering" into the trees, but I actually saw a marker in the open area. If the basket is in the open area, it's another underwhelming, but "warm up" appropriate hole. The Basket is indeed in the woods parallel to the marker you saw
Hole 4: The truly wooded hole here. Requires some extreme accuracy. Safety concern? I hope the basket is not too close to the popular playground there. I think it's about 200' short of the playround
Hole 5: Extreme safety concerns aside(since you are practically throwing into a parking lot), there is good use of very limited trees, and it will be really cool if the basket is on that large mound.
Hole 6: Interesting. I never would have thought of that. It is sort of like throwing along a giant ditch, I guess. Mild safety concern? Kind of near the overflow parking lot, but there is a degree of barrier there.
Hole 7: It APPEARS as if the "fairway" includes a very popular walking trail that I have used many times myself. Danger alert!It does. Throws down the path about 380' to a gap in the trees
Hole 8: Good use of very limited trees.
Hole 9: Wide, wide, open. Not sure if the basket placement will involve trees or not. The basket is behind a large Cedar/lea land Cyprus type tree
Hole 10: Good use of limited trees. Mild safety concern. Near walking trail.
Hole 11: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 12: Good use of VERY limited trees.
Hole 13: Just an open, downhill hole? Curious tee placement, since some nearby trees could have been used, but I'm assuming it has something to do with future construction in that spot. Mild safety concern. Errant throws might hit the tee pad for 12, but it is all very visible.
Hole 14: Good use of limited trees. Feels very, very long. Mild safety concern. Watch for cars on the road.
Hole 15: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 16: Good use of limited trees.
Hole 17: Good use of limited trees. Mild safety concern. Those trees to the right of the basket include some very popular picnic table shelters. On the plus side, it is a great spot to stop and relax and watch some discers.
Hole 18: Very uphill. Get in a strong finish to your walk/workout. Mild safety concern. The aforementioned picnic shelters will come into play.

Overall I am happy with it. I'm better than a newbie, but nowhere near a pro, so it will definitely challenge me! And for people who are tired of throwing in the woods so much around Charlotte, it should be a great contrast.

It definatly does have some elevation and won't be a walk in the park. I have been told some more trees will be planted to add challenge and add saftey. I hope it works on the latter half but we'll have to see.

Figured I could clarify a few of the gray areas for you. For the record I have no input into the design here. I am simply a Park Ranger at the park.

[

It definatly does have some elevation and won't be a walk in the park. I have been told some more trees will be planted to add challenge and add saftey. I hope it works on the latter half but we'll have to see.

Thank you so much for the info, BraveThrower43!

Soon-to-be infamous hole 5 at Frank Liske. I hope they put the basket on that large mound in the distance. And I really hope they eliminate the right side of that parking lot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Some positives I noticed at the course today:

Holes number 1,2,3,4,5,12,13,18 will be near parking and restrooms. I predict that many discers will learn to park near the tennis courts and start playing at hole 13. That lot is much closer to the entrance of the park.