• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New distance record WIIIIITHHH....

For those of you sending out your respects, good for you for advancing the game. Those of you hating on the record holder for a little wind and not "best distance conditions" by "your" standards...c'mon. IMO the best thing in any sport I have ever seen has been feeling a disc rip out of your hand, and just continue to sail. Its the most pure thing in sports watching a disc thrown hundreds of feet and continuing to fly. If you think it's so easy with the "noob" disc or wind at his back, then you go do it. Why don't you just complain about home run records in baseball? Different brands of bats, different sizes, different weights, different wind conditions...sound familiar? Weird...but you don't hear them trash talking the equipment being used. Give the man props for taking another step towards the expanding game of disc golf, and the disc manufacturers for making discs that fit each one of you individually. I think I'm done with my rant now.

Now that Wiggins has the official record, do you think Innova will give him the blizzard champion boss as a signature disc, like Sandstrom has with the star valkyrie? If Wiggins gets the signature disc, do you think Innova will change the valkyrie (stamp)?

IMO, I think it would be cool to have weight class distance records. Please don't change the Sandstrom Valk, Innova. I may need to stock up...

Which is exactly why the WFDF calls for a throwing area large enough to throw in whatever direction works with the wind.

Which is exactly the problem. All of the records are wind assisted and wind has a huge impact on the flight of a disc. When weather conditions are a determinative factor in the outcome, the world record has more to do with luck than athletic achievement.

I'm not suggesting in any way that the competitors are not elite throwers who can absolutely crush discs, btw.

Which is exactly the problem. All of the records are wind assisted and wind has a huge impact on the flight of a disc. When weather conditions are a determinative factor in the outcome, the world record has more to do with luck than athletic achievement.

I'm not suggesting in any way that the competitors are not elite throwers who can absolutely crush discs, btw.

100% True. The world record should be on flat ground with no wind.

Yes, because it is entirely reasonable to say that there can be absolutely no wind for any record throw. Quick, someone invent a way to stop wind!

Now that Wiggins has the official record, do you think Innova will give him the blizzard champion boss as a signature disc, like Sandstrom has with the star valkyrie? If Wiggins gets the signature disc, do you think Innova will change the valkyrie (stamp)?

IMO, I think it would be cool to have weight class distance records. Please don't change the Sandstrom Valk, Innova. I may need to stock up...
What's odd to me is that ultralight versions of all of the old discs that were used to break the records were possible. ~165g seemed to be the preferred weight even though 150 class discs were around. The account I heard is that Wiggins was throwing 150ish gram discs but for whatever reason decided to use an even lighter one for the record throw.

Just finding a place that meets the requirements is tough. Finding a long enough field that is also flat enough is one of the keys. Its really too bad folks on here are hating that the record throw was with light plastic. I don't think it really matters.

What about field goal distance records in football where there are wind?