• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

I don't even need one and I'm tempted! The Elite Jartop has room for plenty of discs and plus plenty of storage for other stuffs. If you're looking for a bargain back pack back, I don't see how you can pass on the Cactus for $17.50.

Get'em while they're cheap and shipping's free.

Im currently trying to figure out how to turn the pvc frame into a stool and pull the discs out the putter pocket. Trying to do a mini gb simian basically, but its just too small and i dont sew for crap. Any ideas?

I sort of followed the below design for my elite jar top. I think the easiest way to make this into a stool would be to do the following:

I would remove the male connectors on the bottom of the frame and just use the 2" PVC. It lowers the disc down into the bag a litle. I would increase the 5" PVC to 8-10" and build a seat over the top of the discs with a cross bar over top of the discs so you have more contact points for your butt.

It might look a little weird but then you wouldn't have to do any sewing.

My guess would be you would need the below materials.
1/2" Tee SxSxS Connectors (6)
1/2" 90-Degree SxSXS Elbow with side outlet. (8)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 2" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 4" (6)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 8-10" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 10" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a lenght of 3-5" (4) - this is for the top part that you would sit on

I found this post and went to Target and got the Elite Jartop for $31. I used 1/2 inch PVC for my frame and figured I would share with you guys the dimensions I used. (If dimensions were used in previous posts I apologize but I didn't read all 12 pages of this thread and just winged it.)

1/2" Tee SxSxS Connectors (4)
1/2" 90 Degree SxS Connectors (4)
1/2" Pressure 90-Degree SxS Elbow with threaded side outlet. (4)
1/2" Male Connectors (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 2" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 4" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 5" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 9 7/8' (4)

The two 9 7/8" pieces and two of the 4" pieces connect to the Pressure 90 degree elbow with the threaded hole make up the base. You then connect the male connector to the elbow which sets the base for the rest of the frame and allows for adjustment. The four 2" pipes connect to the male connector. Next you will connect the remaining two 9 7/8" pipe to the 4 Tee connectors and then connect that to the four 2" pipe. You have just completed the base for your discs to rest on. Next you will connect the final pieces (2 elbows, two 5" pipe and one 4" pipe) that will create each side for the discs to rest upon.

*Number in parenthesis is the quantity.
** SxS means Slip by Slip. In other words it's not threaded and you just slide the pipe in without needing to twist.

The reason I created my frame like this is because it puts the discs at easy reach height while still being able to zip the bag up, creates small storage under the discs (enough for a long underwear top, hat, snacks, etc), and puts the discs at a nice height on your back that is comfortable.

I plan on spray painting the PVC frame black so it will match the bag and put my own custom zipper pulls. There are 10 zippers in total. Below I am going to link some pictures of the bag I made and I hope this helps you make one similar.

http://i.imgur.com/RRSMuky.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ncDkaR1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N6qqntp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t5NLvP9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yyeiwAg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fXBSKm1.jpg

I can fit a total of 19 discs on the frame for storage and another 6-7 discs the bag comfortably.

Thats what im thinking thanks. But with a seat on top the discs will have to come out of the front/belly of the bag. If the discs get too low i cant pull them out through the putter pocket hole. I guess i'll just try it since materials are about 23 bucks.

Is started a simian mini today with normal vertical disc stacking. Pretty close to what i wanted. Gonna try again tomorrow. Still dont know what to build the seat out of.

Attachments

• 1231141554a.jpg
    1231141554a.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 166
Thought I'd post mine since I went a slightly different route than the pvc. Was going to go to home depot the next day to buy pvc but I got impatient and built this caddy out of some flexible cutting boards that weren't getting used. All in all I wish I had gotten the elite: bigger base so it would be less tippy and putter/stuff get separate pockets.

Attachments

• 2015-01-03 22.29.49.jpg
    2015-01-03 22.29.49.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 2015-01-03 22.28.51.jpg
    2015-01-03 22.28.51.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 2015-01-03 22.27.24.jpg
    2015-01-03 22.27.24.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 113
mine as well post a pic of mine, its my 3rd DIY so I didn't have to buy anything, just some retro fitting. Had it for 6 months and still going strong

mgCKmlnl.jpg

Had to shorten it. Added seat and a putter pocket underneath. Just need to cut another hole to get the putter in and out.

Attachments

• 0109151501a.jpg
    0109151501a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 164
v2.3 complete!

Putter pocket works well with 1 or 2 putters. Its angled down and back so gravity keeps putters from falling out and the rubber band and paracord stapping keeps tension also.

I need to glue up the frame, but it is working now! I finally contribute something to dgcr!

Attachments

• 0112151113b.jpg
    0112151113b.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 0112151112d.jpg
    0112151112d.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 0112151110.jpg
    0112151110.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 217
Materials:

--Bag--
Target backpack (12.50)
PVC pipe and fittings (10)

--Seat--
Cutting board
Paracord

--Putter pocket--
Sushi rolling mat
Paracord
Rubberbands

Heres my mini simian stool style next to the original pvc u shaped mod from the early pages of this thread.

Attachments

• 0114151850.jpg
    0114151850.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 227
still in the works but I only use Dynamic Disc so the have four of each so there divided but think of building version 2.1 out of aluminum flat bar or L channel so can divided it 5/5/6 with there new disc and I also have a access hole to bottom storage thru putter pocket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 162
I got the regular one for $12.50 (free shipping with Target credit card) this week and it is awesome. I haven't made the frame yet but even without it, it's a great bag. There's not a lot of room for other stuff if you have it packed with discs but wow it seems like the backpack was made for disc golfers.

THANK YOU, Trizzor, for starting this thread!

So I'm planning to modify the Jartop Elite design in this thread. I'll post pics when done, but I'm planning to use a sewing awl to add 2" nylon web straps to the bottom (2 front to back, one side to side) to re-enforce the areas my PVC Pipes will be resting on the ground. I'm going to add 1-2 small grommets to allow drainage (planning to use the dead space underneath for a small amount of ice and a couple beverages) and then Plasti-dip things both inside and out. I'm going to tweak the PVC frame for additional lateral stability, will experiment with filling the base with sand to help lower the center of gravity and add 2" industrial Velcro to the inside of the backpack to accommodate the dividers from my Fade Tourney bag. Finally, I've located a source for gel impregnated foam, and I'm debating the merits of totally redoing the shoulder straps, although the cost of the foam may make that unreasonable to do on what is supposed to be a cheap DIY bag mod.

Link to the sewing awl: http://www.rei.com/product/602118/speedy-stitcher-sewing-awl

These things are dirt cheap and so handy for making minor repairs to all sorts of stuff, in and out of disc golf.

For padding the shoulder straps you could get one of those sleeves that goes over a seat belt to make it more comfortable...if you can even buy those anymore, that was kind of an early 90s fad.

For padding the shoulder straps you could get one of those sleeves that goes over a seat belt to make it more comfortable...if you can even buy those anymore, that was kind of an early 90s fad.
Darn good thought. I've gotten so caught up in modding my hockey equipment as professionally as possible that I overlooked a simple solution that would be good enough for a disc golf bag. Thanks for the idea Ender.

Latest posts