• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

The reason I created my frame like this is because it puts the discs at easy reach height while still being able to zip the bag up, creates small storage under the discs (enough for a long underwear top, hat, snacks, etc), and puts the discs at a nice height on your back that is comfortable.

So, I'm laughing my a## off because I read the above like this:

(enough for long underwear, top hat, snacks, etc)

You're lucky, my Grip wont fit a top hat, LOL.

Bag looks great, btw!

You're lucky, my Grip wont fit a top hat, LOL.

I do the easy thing and carry a crushable fedora for a foul weather hat. I have a few options for decent weather including a straw panama I like to wear (plus the Utilikilt and toe shoes in good weather heh), but that crushable fedora pops right back into shape and has served me well for 5 years of wear now, altho only played dg for a year and a half so far.

I do the easy thing and carry a crushable fedora for a foul weather hat. I have a few options for decent weather including a straw panama I like to wear (plus the Utilikilt and toe shoes in good weather heh), but that crushable fedora pops right back into shape and has served me well for 5 years of wear now, altho only played dg for a year and a half so far.

+1

:clap:

So Gateway is running their backpack deal that they ran back in August. I really wanna drop the $80 on the Mini Backpack, but hard to justify. Thinking I may just do this bag and pick up some PVC. I know Beastmode had that middle bit on his version before he removed it. If you were going to skip the middle and just make the bottom part of the pvc insert, which parts wouldn't you need anymore and which would need to be slightly longer? Assume add about an inch to the 5 1/4" sets, so instead of 4 5 1/4", do 2 11 1/2"? Or would it only add a 1/2" to each side?

"Keep:
4 1/2" 90 elbows
4- 5 1/4" PVC (width) (Make this 2: 11 or 11 1/2")
2- 3 3/4" PVC (depth)

Remove:
2 1/2" 90 elbows
2 1/2" T's
1- 6 3/4"(angled front riser, fits bag a bit better)
1- 6 1/2" (straight back riser)
1- 5 1/4" PVC (connecting risers)

You can do this frame with 48" of PVC."

Does this sound right? BeastMode? Others.

Keep it simple man just stick with whole numbers I have a bag with e regular PVC insert its ok the middle one looks a bit bulky but the only upside to the bag is price there is no storage at all but it's ok for the casual round

Well I hadn't taken a rule to the inside of the bag, so I figured I woudl ask people who had more exact measurements. Plus I wasn't sure how much space the T connectors would add when connecting the 4 pieces together instead of just the pair of longer ones. I suppose when I go to target I could just snag a ruler from the stationary section and measure :)

Target site lists dimensions as the following, would it make sense to have longer pieces than 3 3/4" for teh depth or would that start getting in the way of the laptop pocket in the back?

Dimensions: 16.0 " H x 13.0 " W x 8.0 " D

Yeah it sounds about right, I took out the center divider, have just the base ring made out of PVC (with the 4 90's, 2 11", and 2 3 3/4" pieces) I then put corrugated plastic around the base frame, and just plastidipped it for a smoother finish.
I found it gives me just a bit of weight at the bottom to keep it upright, it picks the discs up off the very bottom but still gives me plenty of room to fit discs like the condor.

I get asked all the time about my bag, and I had big plans to modify it, but really haven't moved forward with it much more because functionally it works just fine. Again now that its getting cold, storage is at a higher premium with this so you may lose some discs out of the back pocket to store something there

I just ordered a 186g White DX Condor today, so nice to know it will fit. I'm thinking quite seriously about this as an alternative to the Mini Backpack from Gateway. I still really want a Voodoo Karma, but don't have the cash for it right now, plus they don't have my preferred color in stock :) February will be tax time and then I will be getting a Karma and a Juju (Juju for my 8 yr old daughter) and maybe do a big disc order then for fun.

So w/o doing the extra plastic and such in the sides, just the pvc base, it won't slide around too much or anything since it only goes 3 3/4" deep right? Bag depth total is 8" it says. Just curious. I haven't checked one of them out in stores yet.

Oh yeah and thanks for the comments BeastMode, it's appreciated :)

This bag has served me pretty well for the last few months, but the bottom is wearing out on it and the pvc frame is starting to sag and dig into my lower back. It is a decent bag, storage is nil but I agree for casual rounds it is decent. I finally just said screw it and bought the grip with the black friday deal.

On the logic that it's not THAT much more expensive than an Elite Jartop and PVC for the base (ok it's double, still...) I gave into the Voodoo Karma on the 25% off sale. Potion Purple was a tie for 2nd w/brown and green (wanted blue most), but given my other option was red and I don't want to be mistaken for a Louisville fan... heh

Jlee had you plastidipped your bag or just using it w/no added protection?

Have used mine about a month, and it's starting to fray where the shoulder strap attaches to the top of the back pack. Supposed to have a 1 YR warranty against defects in material & workmanship... which I genuinely think this would be. The 7 text books they claim it can hold would easily weigh more than 18-20 discs.

Curious to see if they'll exchange it... may be tough to explain the plasti-dip on the bottom
. :\
They stood behind it. Didn't say squat about the plasti-dip... don't think they even noticed. :D

FYI- The warrantee covers defects in materials/workmanship. It specifically does not cover "normal wear & tear," which kinda leaves them an out, because it's open to interpretation. I showed them where the seam where the shoulder strap was fraying, and said that happening within 2 months seems more like a defect in materials or workmanship than it does normal wear and tear. They exchanged it with no problem whatsoever, but they wouldn't give me a refund... I can understand that.

... and put my own custom zipper pulls. There are 10 zippers in total.

I like your version of this bag. Cannot wait to hit Target!

What did you do for the zipper pulls? Mine came off of my Cabela's bag and I replaced with ball and chain but they come off easily too.

I like your version of this bag. Cannot wait to hit Target!

What did you do for the zipper pulls? Mine came off of my Cabela's bag and I replaced with ball and chain but they come off easily too.

Yes, the zipper pulls came off easily but I just sat down and tied my own zipper pulls directly onto the bag.

Hey Abram-

1/2" PVC cut to a length of 4" (4)
1/2" PVC cut to a length of 5" (4)

Where did you use the 4" and 5" pieces? (Height and depth)

Thanks!

Jlee had you plastidipped your bag or just using it w/no added protection?

Never got around to plasti dipping it. I knew I was going to be buying an actual DG backpack within 6mo so I only wanted to spend $20 total on the bag itself. But it still is decent for the price and for casual rounds I suppose.

That looks like it could be the new hot disc golf backpack.
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :clap: :D :thmbup:

Bonner 3 pack with no cutting/stitching has been the best 35 bucks I've ever spent.

Hey guys and gals. Just a quick word of thanks and that this is a great, less expensive bag. I do not play near as much as I used to so I could not ever justify buying a big brand new bag, so I have been using the same backpack for a very long time! Long time. But I have been looking at doing something myself and this seemed like the way to go.

After reading all 14 pages of this thread, I copied Abram and spent the extra $10 for the Jartop Elite at my local Target (full price $35). I also used his (Abram's) measurements on the frame with one modification. I just used 3" pieces on the bottom and it worked great. I am going to use the space that is created on the bottom to carry a lightweight jacket, and there is more space there for a bag of trailmix or granola bars etc.

Here are some photos of the final product:
Bag_4_zps4f383b1b.jpg

Bag_3_zps5fa28177.jpg

Bag_2_zpsc1d4ec42.jpg

3646af65-8be1-40c6-8991-1dfe34382b1f_zpsd9370781.jpg