• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new player help?

JackH0L3

a good buddy of mine wanted to try out disc golf with me. he likes it and wants to get some discs of his own. i let him use everything i had in my bag, and the only disc he liked was my Dart putter.

is there any driver that anyone knows of that has a very putter-like feel to it? he likes the weight and the bulk of the putter. all of the heavy drivers i have didnt do the trick for him!

Get him a roc or a buzzz or something like that. I think he would like the feel of them as opposed some of the longer distance discs and they will go farther for him than the dart fo sho

Just let him use the putter for a few more rounds while trying out some other discs? What about a heavier leopard?

I was gonna say a leopard as well. To me it fell like a mid range and is the closest driver to a putter especially a dart since those things have more of a midrange feel

I was gonna say a leopard as well. To me it fell like a mid range and is the closest driver to a putter especially a dart since those things have more of a midrange feel

I keep forgetting how long a Dart can be. So you are right thier could be some overlap with the slower mids like a shark.

a Heavy Axis might work. Or just let him stick with the Dart for awhile; it seems like it's good for learning

If he likes the dart, Then I would just stick with it for a while. There's no real need to rush out and buy anything else.

But, I would say a shark, or something from MVP. But the Dart can be thrown to pretty close to the same or even further distances as those. He might like a Gator. There aren't many drivers out there that have a putter feel to them. I would suggest getting a mid to transition into getting the feel of a less beefy disc. Maybe instead of trying to find something faster, Maybe look at something that will compliment it (Like a Rhyno). Something overstable and something understable around the same speed to compliment the Dart might be a better option than trying to find something faster than the Dart that feels like a putter.

Edit: sorry that post has ADHD written all over it, I hope you can understand what I was trying to get at.

might be helpful to know what he has tossed to give better recommendations. Is he a forehand or backhand player? Can he toss anything flat or release everything on a hyzer follow through?

If I remember correctly, the Mako and Lycan are pretty similar to the Dart in rim design and feel.

Not sure if they would be tons longer, but probably a decent one disc purchase.

Just let him use the putter for a few more rounds while trying out some other discs? What about a heavier leopard?

Good call on the Leopard, but I would suggest a lighter DX Leo.

But, I would say ... something from MVP. .

I have a blast with Ion only rounds. Great off the tee, and fantastic approaches too. The greater stability will compensate poorer form when he puts some pepper on his toss.

If he likes the dart, Then I would just stick with it for a while. There's no real need to rush out and buy anything else.

Also true.

Latest posts