• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Player, tell me everything

Mr.Bigg

Bogey Member
Alright here's a bio:
number of times played: 5 or 6

I just started playing, I got an innova starter pack.
DX Leopard, Shark and Aviar
I promptly lost the leopard up a tall spruce tree and bought a DX valk.

I had much better success with the DX valk, I am throwing it about 250-300, semi-consistent.

I really didn't like the shark, and wanted to get some new discs anyways, so I ordered:

DX ROC
DX Dragon (just for water shots, I saw some friends put their discs in the bottom of a pond)
Pro Wraith

I don't remember the wieghts right now. I bought the Roc to replace my shark, the wraith was something I hope to kinda grow into and get more distance than my valk.

Things I've noticed about my game:

1. I am starting to turn over the valk, but adjusting my throw seems to help and actually is getting me farther.
2. I am terrible at judging the fade on mid range shots, if I play the fade I end up not fading, if I don't play the fade I end up 50 feet to the left of the basket.
3. I know how to throw an ultimate disc hammer or forehand, but disc golf discs seem to travel very differently.

So, what do I need to buy, what do I need to do, what color underwear should I wear?

GreenMeanie said:
I know one thing when new is not to go on a buying spree.
Learn the disk you have before trying others.

Yeah I am not trying to go out and throw 8 different discs in a round right away, I am just getting a bunch of discs to figure out what I want to start with and what I want to store for later.

The wraith is out of your league for the time being.

Progression of discs usually looks like this (at least from my experiences):

Leopard -> Gazelle -> TeeBird -> Eagle -> Valkarie -> Orc/Beast -> Wraith/Teerex

Start on the left. Learn how to make a Gazelle do whatever you want. When you do that, move to the next step and make that disc do whatever you want. Rinse and repeat.

I've been playing for 2+ years averaging 4-5 rounds a week, and still am not comfortable with drivers higher up the scale than Valks.

edit: Put leopard in progression.

Drop the wraith and wait on that. You're flipping your valk most likely because of form. learn to throw that good first. When you go play, just take the roc and aviar. some of the best advice I ever got was,"learn to throw a aviar straight between 250-300 ft and your set." and that is true.

Don't get discuraged at some of those big KC courses either. Find some pros and ask for some advice. or go to emporia and find eric mccabe. super nice guy and a hell of a player.

Have fun

I just started playing too and here is what I've found to be helpful:

1. Read Blake's Advicewith disc in hand and in a room that you can do an xstep in. Don't release though.

2. Here are the disks in my bag:
Avair
Classic Roc
Roc
Gazelle

3. When I go play a course, I bring the whole bag but I honestly only use the classic roc for 99% of my shots.

4. When I practice in a field, I can only practice for about 30 minutes before my concentration fades and I am unable to really focus. I bring both the classic and roc dx as well as the Gazelles out and practice with those. I leave the putters as home, although, I'm looking to get a basket to practice as putting is what wins games.

I love the classic roc and I have pretty big hands. My grip is a bit limited on it, but it is one of my favorite disks. Picking up a few gazelles wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to practice your driving with.

If you read Disc Selection Guide you'll find a some great tips like stay with dx plastic, which types of discs to select, and even some recommendations. The starter pack seemed to be a pretty good selection.

Yeah, you should drop the Wraith.
I can throw 400' max, and I don't even throw Wraiths. It's not a beginner disc at all really.

get good with that Roc, and you'll learn pretty quick. The thing with Midrange drivers is they don't really mask flaws. If you're rolling your wrist to the right at the last second before a throw, you're disc will show you this by turning right. I've been playing for nearly 8 years, and I JUST started to really get good with Rocs in the last year. If I would of started off throwing Rocs most of the time when I began, I would of advanced much quicker than I have.

If you find you're having trouble with the fade on midrange drivers, keep playing with them and beat them in. The more you beat a midrange in, the less it will fade. But it will also turn to the right more (assuming your throwing right hand back handed throws)
99.23526463464365% of the ppl here will vouch that a beat Roc, is a Money Roc. You cant beat it enough. Once you beat it in tho, you will have to start to release it with more hyzer. But once you see a beat Roc fly, 250+ feet DEAD straight, and have nearly ZERO fade at the end, you realize that it's a valuable shot to have.
I'd also suggest possibly checking out a Wizard putter, and learning to throw some decent upshots and 250' drives with that putter.

Also, VictorB's list of discs for drivers gets my thumbs up for approval.
Leopard -> Gazelle -> TeeBird -> Eagle -> Valkarie -> Orc/Beast -> Wraith/Teerex
This is an excellent progression chart. Currently, I throw Orcs. I don't mess with Wraiths because I can just control my Orcs more even if they are 10-25 feet shorter.

These are all just preferences, like the Rocs, Orcs. There's other brands with discs that are very similar... Like the Roc can be changed out with the Gateway Element and Element-X, or a Discraft Buzzz. it's all up to what you feel most comfortable gripping, and what gives you the most controlled and consistent drive.

Read Blakes stuff on how to throw. Everytime you step on the teepad make sure you have your grip right and remember, if you can't throw a driver over 450 feet it isn't the disc. Practice putting if you really want to see your scores drop.

I really like the driver progression listed but I'll add one caveat. Somer drivers just feel wrong in your hand, for me it is a wraith. Don't throw a disc just because it is the new hottness, throw it because it works for you.

My experience is that discs like the DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, DX Cheetah, and Ace will teach you more than any other driver. Stick with one of those and drive, don't just approach with your Roc (stick with it, it will be a bit overstable at first), Shark and Aviar. If you get the urge to buy more discs, look at something overstable like a Banshee, Firebird or EXP1 and practice throwing hyzers. Those discs won't fly straight for you, but that's OK. It's good to have a disc you know will hold a hyzer the whole way.

I wouldn't bother with the Dragon. Keep it around for when friends want to play and they need a disc to throw. Using an unpredictable disc just raises the chances of you ending up in the water.

I was actually in KC this last weekend and had the oppertunity to play Waterworks and Swope. If the other courses in the area are anything like those two, you picked a great city in which to start disc golfing.

victorb said:

i throw gazelles and valks and was on an eagle kick for a while... in my experience the teebird is harder to throw well than a valk since it's so nose-angle sensitive, so hold off onthat for a while (although it's a slowish disc it needs great technique). the old x-mold eagles were a good step up from gazelles but now that dx eagles are L-mold i'd say to skip 'em.

Mr.Bigg said:
Things I've noticed about my game:

1. I am starting to turn over the valk, but adjusting my throw seems to help and actually is getting me farther.
2. I am terrible at judging the fade on mid range shots, if I play the fade I end up not fading, if I don't play the fade I end up 50 feet to the left of the basket.

Sounds like you're on your way to having a whole bunch of fun. As to the observations above:
1. You're on the right track here; you are noticing that you can control the Valk, and it's all about control, not distance, not power, control. Keep working that disc, you're on your way to having a go-to disc.
2. I'm all about mid-range, play the fade, annie or natural, if you have to go around something. If on the other hand you have no objects in your way go straight at it. You might want to ask some playing partners what they throw for a straight shot and try theirs. You'll want something you can throw from that 100-150 foot range, and can be thrown slightly nose up so it stalls as it approaches the basket, then drops in, or flat if it misses. Even those misses will be close. Personally I'd recommend trying a Rattler or a Soft Magnet, but that is my preference. Stick to DX or Pro D plastic to keep costs down until you find the disc(s) that you like and throw consistantly, then experiement with other plastics in those discs.

Either way you're going to have a lifetime of fun trying to work this out.
Peace
Jman

I would say that all the advice thus far will get you going in the right direction. I am still a very novice player (addicted since 3-7-07); with that being said the one thing I can add to this is your mental game. I have heard it said that DG is played as much in your head as it is on the field. Stay positive and really work through the rough patches, don't over analyze your self and your technique and most of all always always always have fun. Even later on when you are competing always make each round fun. Practice your putts, a few have mentioned it, but it is so true. You need to have confidence in your putting ability as much as your drives or approach shots. I try and play at least 2-3 rounds a week but I practice my putts for an hour daily. Any longer then that and I lose focus on why I am there.

I know when you ask for advice you get allot all at once, but it is essential to take it one thing at a time.

:D GOOD LUCK!!! And have FUN!!! :D

All of this is great advise, but there is one thing that any pro will tell you. Hit the field and practice there. This way you'll hone in on your discs, correct any flaws in technique and then, when you do hit the course, you'll be hitting your lines at a much much higher rate. And instead of spending money on a bunch of discs that you're not gonna be able to use right away...buy a basket and putt, putt, putt, putt, putt...you get it. PUTT!

Thanks for your help everybody. I was wondering one thing, do I need a fairway driver if I am going to keep driving with my valk? Should I get a gazelle maybe or just use my roc for 200' shots?

Yeah sorry.... my opinion is that the ROC owns the shark in so many ways. At least from a rookies' stand point. :p But thats a totaly different thread. :wink:

Latest posts