• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to dying and having a problem.

g0rkam0rka

I've been surfing the forum and haven't found a similar issue. If someone could help me out or point me in the direction of a thread that will answer this for me. Your help is much appreciated.

Issue: Im using rit and water and contact paper. my first disc (star wraith) I used purple and it came out nice and bold. but both times I've tried to use black (star t-bird, z flick) it comes out super faded like its not taking very well. the method I used is

1) remove stamp with acetone (worked quickly)
2) applied contact paper to disc and worked out bubbles with a credit card.
3) cut out stencil with x-acto knife.
4) removed sticky residue with a little acetone and a dish towel. carfeul not to let the contact paper raise.

5) mix pack of rit dye with about a quart of water in a pot then bring to steaming.

6) move dye to a pie pan and float disc for about 40 mins.

I haven't had any bleed issues or any other real issues. just that my black comes out faded.

Did you use liquid or powder RIT? Becasue the liquid stuff is crap, use only the powder. Maybe not a strong enough dye mix or heat not high enough.

Thanks for the reply.

I used a whole packet of powder in enough water for the disc to float (probably about a quart thats a guess though). Does the water need to remain heated the entire time? I mixed the powder into tap water then brought it up to steaming but then moved it over to a pie pan which cooled over the duration of the float. Does the water need to be heated before the powder is mixed in or can you heat it afterwards like I did.

I believe it helps to bring the water to a boil before you add the rit powder; it helps it to fully dissolve and saturate the water (someone had this problem recently and I think this fixed it). The most common rit:water ration around here is 24-32oz to a pack of rit - perfect for storing in mason jars as well.

A higher dye temperature helps the dye to permeate the plastic, so its better to keep it near 120f during the whole dip.

I believe it helps to bring the water to a boil before you add the rit powder; it helps it to fully dissolve and saturate the water (someone had this problem recently and I think this fixed it). The most common rit:water ration around here is 24-32oz to a pack of rit - perfect for storing in mason jars as well.

A higher dye temperature helps the dye to permeate the plastic, so its better to keep it near 120f during the whole dip.

I use old gatorade bottles and thats the amount I mix as well. I also have had no problems with the liquid rit. I keep the heat on when I dye

I will try this and let you guys know how it turns out.

thank you for the respones

ps. I didnt realize there was a "newbie" section to post in until a few minutes ago. I'll remember that in the future.

In my experience 40 minutes is plenty of time for a black dye to set on a star or champ disc, even if you take it off the heat. I leave my pot on the stove with minimal heat and if the water starts to steam away I turn the heat off. Black dye sets in 15-20 for me. I even use well more than the recommended 24-32oz of water and only half a bottle of the liquid Rit.

I've ran into times when 15-20 minutes weren't enough but that was with an r-pro cro and innova minis.

Maybe it's something else.

Did you use liquid or powder RIT? Becasue the liquid stuff is crap, use only the powder. Maybe not a strong enough dye mix or heat not high enough.

Funny how often I hear this; am I alone in prefering the liquid Rit over the powder?

I dont mind either. I use more liquid then powder.

I just dont see why you would want a less concentrated product...

I tried liquid yellow and red, both were not even close to how bright powder dye was.

Yes I was mixing it in a pot then moving it to the pie pan but last night I left it in the pot and tried it that way. My paper raised a little (I probably just had it to hot) but the black still wasn't a good solid black it was really faded.:(

I was thinking that might be it. but I did wash it with dish soap and warm water. I also let it dry after rinsing the soap off.

Last edited:
I can't see any difference between my powder colors and my liquid colors, and the liquid leaves no residue. :thmbup:

Latest posts