• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the sport, trying to add some D.

Follow through is the big thing to look at. Seems like you're not really pivoting.

Watch Big Jerm throw this 700 footer for a $100 bounty on longest drive.

See how he accelerates very gradually and transfers all the momentum to the disk? He's just left hanging there on his pivot foot.

One thing you can't show in a video is timing the pinch down in your grip. If you pinch hard the whole time, the disc starts pivoting late, because the force of static friction has to be overcoming. But of you start out loose, and time the pinchdown to occur at the crtitical moment, you can get something amazing. :)

I've been working on that pinchdown at the last possible moment thing. It definitely helps and I have boggled my mind with how far I can throw when I get it right, but man does it mess with my accuracy big time

You guys are awesome! I will get a video of my throwing from a more behind camera angle. Also, thanks for the tip on dripping at a certain moment. I was under the impression that you grip it tight from the start. That could be why I get "grip lock" a lot?

Need to transfer your weight and brace from behind you. Your shoulders don't stay behind the hips and so the rear side is throwing you around off balance in followthrough.

Notice the more closed direction of the x-step and plant and balanced followthrough:

So, on the second step (bringing my left foot behind my right) I shouldn't step as far forward? Keep it just past my first step? Would that be "closing" my stance?

It's kinda hard to explain in words. Your aim in going to change when you telegraph your shot. Starting the x-step on the rear right side of the tee pad and finishing on the front left side of the tee pad helps close stance more. You are moving more left to right on the tee which is fine for pure hyzer but you aren't pivoting back. A slower and less steep x-step may help you pivot into the backswing and get more acceleration later in the throw. Going down to plant your should be turning hips and shoulders away to max reachback. You are turning your hips and shoulders open going to the plant and slamming all your weight down on the plant leg.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

Watch how backwards he plants and then pushes his hips forward and rotates through. You are pushing forward before planting.

^^agreed and that is a good video..........on a side note........may I ask how far roughly you think you are throwing? Can't tell from the video but if I had to guess you looked like you were getting atleast 350 or so

The field in the vid is 400 ft. exactly. Idk if that helps you determine but it is probably more like a 300 ft. shot or so.

I agree with the feedback but an understanding of mechanics can't replace feel. To get the feel you need to go to the basics.

Practice throwing a variety of shots from a standstill- low, high, flat, hyzer, anny. Don't just chuck discs into a field, pick a target, visualize the shot and track your results. When you master that, start incorporating a run up.

It makes sense. I definitely need to keep working from the standstill to work on the pulling through and accuracy of shot selection. However, I'm still having a lot of trouble timing the reach back with the x step and then pulling through.

Latest posts