• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Video lesson from Bradley Walker

I have to agree with Timothy42b when I have a griplock ejection it goes way further and in the wrong direction. I'm assuming it is from opening up my shoulder way to soon, would that be correct?

I have no idea what really happens but my guess is this. When grip lock happens your arm goes past your normal ejection point, where you're not getting that big arc, and your torso then rotates into a position where your shoulder is closed again but pointing way right, and you now are in an arc position at release. Also I think in my case it turns the disc nose down - I struggle with nose up limiting my distance.

Video analysis by so called "experts" is what has lead the golf and many other sport industry into destroying people's bodies like you mentioned with Tiger Woods destroying a whole generation which is absolutely true. The majority of the top PGA golfers have terrible form, your golf swing is way better than most of them, really, really.

I'm not sure I'm seeing it correctly. But when I look at Tiger's swing, I see the hips driving long before the shoulders rotate - they are two separate actions, timed for maximum ball speed but also destructive to the spine? When I watch Shawn Clements I see the torso turning almost as a unit, with much less difference between hips and shoulders. it looks less powerful but easier on the body. Am I on the right track? Blair O'Neal on School of Golf has an incredible swing - and suffers from back injuries, limiting her tour success.

Same experiences as Timothy42b and Riggs419. It was very interesting to read Bradley Walker talking about griplocking on purpose and with control! For some reason there is one fairway in my home course, where I sometimes have that griblock and the disc flies further and more to right of the target (RHBH). It would be nice to do that on purpose and with control. Could this phenomenon be half hit? The disc accelerates longer time and therefore flies further?

Look...

I made a video. This video goes with the other video. I am discussing this topic because there are so many GOOD PLAYERS saying WRONG THINGS ABOUT THEIR THROWS!!!

"hold the disc tight to your chest"
"elbow down the door"
"set your shoulders to line up with the target"
etc etc

And I am not even going at all into any of the other horrible stuff I hear these "pros" telling people (and the forum pros). If you have ever been around athletes that play sports at a very high level, very few, if any have any real idea what the heck they are doing, and even fewer can teach other people. I have some experience coaching outside of disc golf, and I know for a fact, gifted players often times have ideas about their motion that works in their brain, and is not true, or they simply have talent and can do something completely naturally and they have no idea why it is so easy for them.

Disc golf has so many bad teachings. One right after another. How do I know this? Because I spent literally a decade chasing them. I know them all!!! I tried them all. And it made me worse. I have no interest in addressing some of these "PET TEACHINGS" that are espoused as "universal truths" by evangelists that claim to represent the "top pros" and what they do.

I am going to teach my "truth" and this video shows clearly what I am talking about.

Paul McBeth, has a linear pull, and then a wide arc away from his chest over his lead hip joint. As does nearly every good player in the world if you watch them. There are exceptions, but the linear pull to wide arc away from chest around a fixed point is the "rule" rather than the exception, DESPITE all the "top pros" saying something else.

I really wish we could stick to the subject, at least on my threads.

So can my griplock be controlled by having what would be my normal ejection point 45 degrees left of target making the griplock ejection strait inline with target?

So can my griplock be controlled by having what would be my normal ejection point 45 degrees left of target making the griplock ejection strait inline with target?

Try to understand it is an arc. It is not a straight line.

I talked about the "feeling" of pointing the lower arm left to produce an arc.

But to understand that there is an arc is the place to start. Once you understand the concept of an arc, you understand the idea that the further around the arc the later the rip. Look at the "arm straight out" frame of the MCBeth throw, and compare it to the "tuck" frame. His arm had to go allllllll the way around from pointing from nearly pointing behind his left shoulder pointing away from the target to almost pointing at the target. And it got there in a wide arc.

My bad BW

I was not posting that for you. And I do not mean in a hostile way. I would just to discuss the concept covered in the video.

And, is what is covered in the video, I am asking, is it not obvious to everyone as it is to me? I mean, I really would like to know... I would like to think that anyone who watches this video would see what I see... but maybe not.

Try to understand it is an arc. It is not a straight line.

I talked about the "feeling" of pointing the lower arm left to produce an arc.

But to understand that there is an arc is the place to start. Once you understand the concept of an arc, you understand the idea that the further around the arc the later the rip. Look at the "arm straight out" frame of the MCBeth throw, and compare it to the "tuck" frame. His arm had to go allllllll the way around from pointing from nearly pointing behind his left shoulder pointing away from the target to almost pointing at the target. And it got there in a wide arc.

I agree about incorrect teachings leading players down the wrong path. I think the "straight pull" mantra has really messed up my own throw. I think the arc you're talking about is what HUB calls the "redirection", and is what Sidewinder means when says "wide/narrow/wide".

I'm guilty of the small arc you talk about, where my shoulder joint opens up like a chicken wing after the "tuck". So, I have a small arc, minimal redirection, or wide/narrow/narrow. I believe this is partially due to trying to keep the disc on a straight line, instead of loading the disc into a set of levers and then directing that leverage out on a wide arc. I really need to work on using the lower arm and elbow hinge to produce that arc, and not the shoulder joint.

It's all good I didnt take it in a hostile way I just don't want to go down a rabbit hole with your thread , I definitely see Paul's arc and how wide it is which is something I'm working on

E2-v_i.gif

GG is more rotary than linear. It is even more obvious.

And now that I look at this off arm works almost just like mine.

So the left arm whips forward and down as the hips turn? What does that do? It looks to be on purpose.

A lot of guys do like GG. Keep that off arm up and out of the way. They are rounding but they are coming from a place close to the chest at almost a 45 degree angle. We need a view from directly overhead.

I agree about incorrect teachings leading players down the wrong path. I think the "straight pull" mantra has really messed up my own throw.

I agree. I think the disc golf throw is much more rotary than linear. The HIT is rotary for nearly all good players (there are exceptions like Feldberg). The set up into the arc is linear for many players.

...but I tell you the truth there are guys that curl their arm around the disc and have ZERO linear pull and they KILL THE DISC. There was a guy I was watching the other night and he has NO linear pull at all. He simply curls the disc into his arm up into the tuck and rotary explodes and the disc comes out like rocket. The quintessential Dave Dunipace "bent arm".

And, is what is covered in the video, I am asking, is it not obvious to everyone as it is to me? I mean, I really would like to know... I would like to think that anyone who watches this video would see what I see... but maybe not.

It makes sense to me. In trying to pull on a line, I end up with my arm pointing at target during ejection. So I think I get a tiny arc, where clearly (I think) the pros have a large arc. For anything rotating around a fixed point, the longer the radius the faster should be the linear speed. When I play tennis my backhand makes contact way left of target direction, like 70 or 80 degrees left, and in front of the body. I had not been thinking of the disc hit point the same way. So this should help.

Latest posts