• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newb Question

Psyboth

I started playing disc golf with my dad a few months ago. So far I have been using his discs. He is a new player as well and has a ton of discs, which he purchases on eBay. I'm not very good with what all the numbers mean on discs, but all of his discs have a fast high speed number, 10+. I am looking to purchase my own discs. I like the mid-range and putter that I have, but feel like I need a different driver. The only one I have is solid orange with no markings on it, so I'm not sure what the speed and other numbers are. It just says distance driver.

When I throw it, it flys for a while before coming back to the left. My problem is when it comes back to the left, it stops moving forward. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it flys for a while, and then just kind of hangs in the air and drifts far to left. Sometimes when I go get it I find it upside down. My little understanding tells me this disc is too fast for me, and maybe too over stable?

I want to get a disc that is more suited to my throwing form. I feel like I have okay power and form. Before it starts fading left, it goes about 200 feet. I was thinking something slower (maybe an 8 or 9) and stable so it goes straighter. I am open to suggestions, but I have read that the Innova leopard is good driver for a beginner. Any thoughts?

It might be an overstable disc, form issues, too fast, and likely at least a little of all 3. What mid and putter do you have, and how far do you throw them?

An answer to your question you will likely get is get a leopard, and it's a good option. I would add to that the millennium JLS, which is a good driver that's just a little more stable (tends to resist turning to the right more) and can go as far as you need it to. Realistically though you would likely be better off just using your mid and putter for a while. When you can get those out in the 280-300 range, add in a driver and start learning how to throw it.

The disc you have could probably be identified in the "ID a disc..." thread stickied in the discs sub forum here.

The disc you have could probably be identified in the "ID a disc..." thread stickied in the discs sub forum here.

Yup. Here's a link to the ID a Disc thread. I'm curious what disc it is... If it's an Innova disc, it will probably still have some writing on the back (pretty small, right near the center, with two letters as well as the weight). That would help identify it...

Everyone else has pretty good advice already. A Leopard is a great starting place, as are the other suggestions here.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have my mid and putter handy, but the mid is an Innova, 5/6/-3/1. Putter no clue. I have tried the suggestion of only using my mid and putter. The problem I have is that a power grip feels really awkward on both of those discs. I find myself concentrating so much on not letting the disc slip out that I'm not focusing on form... And I'm sure form is 95% of my problem.

I can throw both mid and putter between 150 and 200 feet. I wanted to get a driver (particularly one that I know the supposed flight path) so I can concentrate on form and know that if the disc flys other than how it should that I can try to pinpoint the form issue. Like I said, my dad is new too so we are no help to each on form issues.

Sorry for another question, but it was recommended to me to learn to drive from a standstill rather with a run-up. I get better distance with an x-step but my accuracy tanks. Is this good advice, or should I work on the run-up as well? I would much rather control my disc than have it go farther and way to the side. Again, I appreciate all the help!

Fewer moving parts will almost always equate to more consistent early results.

I add 20-30' of forward progress with an x-step, but give up 30-40' of accuracy, so for me it is not worth it (yet). When my form improves, I'll try again.

So just a quick update to this thread: I went out yesterday to practice my form. I was working on throwing my mid and putter, and getting pretty frustrated because I just couldn't make them behave. They were dog legging right almost immediately. My driver was doing the opposite: falling immediately left. As I was packing up, I noticed two other guys finishing up their round and loading their cars. Both of them seemed like they knew what they were doing so I asked them review my throwing form. I told them the issue I was having, and the one guy offered to let me throw two of his discs, a Valkaryie and a Witness Lucid. I threw the first one, and it went pretty far and straight with a little curve to the left at the end. They offered up some suggestions on form. I threw the Valkaryie and for the first time ever a disc did what it was meant to. It went a little to the right, straightened out and then finished a little the left.

I was ecstatic to have thrown a disc and had it do what it's flight characteristics said it should! It also went further than I've ever thrown before. On top of that, he said I could keep both discs as he didn't use them!

So I now I have two discs that I can actually throw. I didn't catch either guys name, but if you guys read this, thanks so much for the advice and the discs! When I get a little better I hope to be able to pay forward the gesture!!

The mid you have is a Kite. The Witness and Valkerie are absolutely some of the best beginner drivers out there excluding the Leopard and others like it. I would definately suggest staying away from anything that has a double digit speed number (the first of the 4 numbers) and almost any driver where the last 2 numbers make a positive number greater than 1 at least until you find that the Valkerie is turning over hard to the right. Do you know what plastic the Valkerie is? If it is translucent similar to your Witness it is Champion, if it chunks easily it is probably DX if it doesn't have a shiny finish or Pro if it does, and Star if it is very grippy yet doesn't chunk easily and could possibly be GStar if it is gummy feeling.

I'm not sure what the plastic is. I feel like he said it was a champ, but I'm not 100%. It is a translucent disc and he said it glows in the dark.

And yes I think you're right about the mid. He told he me to get rid of it, simply because it's old and super beat up. He gave me a comet (I think) to replace it. I haven't thrown that yet. Excited to get out to the football field by my house and get some really throwing time with them.

He gave me a comet (I think) to replace it.

If you have a Comet, you have a great tool for immediate form feedback. Great disc for practice in the field AND play on the course.

Valkyrie is a great disc to have as it will be useful as a driver and over time it can be a good roller disc. For a slower speed driver the Leopard is a fine suggestion. I actually carry some DX Leopards to give to new players.

As for control vs. distance, I'd recommend working on control. On a 300 foot hole, for example, a 200 foot drive that lands in the fairway can be just as likely to end with par as a 300 foot drive that lands in some bushes/trees. You will have better footing and likely won't lose discs. Of course, distance AND control is preferred, so keep working on it.

Also, if your current controlled range is around 200 feet, you can do solid work on putting and approaching. Start with 100 feet and in, and work your way out to 125, 150, 175, 200 feet from the basket. Focus on landing your approach in an area where you feel confident you can make the putt (increasing your putting range will also increase the size of this landing target.) If you increase the range within which you can get up and down, you will gain confidence and skill. Furthermore, eventually you will get to the point where your starting point for getting up and down is the teebox and you'll be going for birdies.

Most of all, enjoy yourself out there.

Great to read you're improving! With only a couple of month of playing myself, I can well understand what you're going through. Just keep going!

When I throw it, it flys for a while before coming back to the left. My problem is when it comes back to the left, it stops moving forward. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it flys for a while, and then just kind of hangs in the air and drifts far to left. Sometimes when I go get it I find it upside down. My little understanding tells me this disc is too fast for me, and maybe too over stable?

What you describe sounds much like nose-up to me? How high above the ground is the disc, when it stalls out and drops to the left?

I've suffered much from that ... actually, I'm just currently getting better on it.

Nose-up means that the part of the rim closest to the target is higher that the part of the rim closest to you. If you throw this way putters, it doesn't matter much, but if you throw drivers this way, they'll rise up, stall out and drop hard to the left. You should, however, throw your drivers nose-down (i.e. the disc is horizonally even) and on a low line (e.g. 2 meters above ground) -- that's oversimplified but it'll give you an impression to work with.

What helped me much was a sentence in some description for max distance throws. It went somewhat like this: The highest point of throw should be in the middle between you and the landing spot ... surely not close to the landing spot, because in this case, the disc has stalled out and you wasted a lot of distance.

Hope that helps.

(Btw, most important is: Have fun!)

Leopard! good move....

A Leopard was the first driver I could get distance with. It a dependable and forgiving disc. And with improved form it can go a long way. I would add, get a lightweight Leopard. It's no surprise that Innova but a 150g Leopard in its DX Beginners Pack. The only downside of a lightweight Leopard is it can get quite squirrelly into a strong headwind. 10 years later I still have one in my bag.

Personally I prefer premium plastic,like Champion or Star. But whatever plastic feels good in your hand should do the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have my mid and putter handy, but the mid is an Innova, 5/6/-3/1. Putter no clue. I have tried the suggestion of only using my mid and putter. The problem I have is that a power grip feels really awkward on both of those discs. I find myself concentrating so much on not letting the disc slip out that I'm not focusing on form... And I'm sure form is 95% of my problem.

I can throw both mid and putter between 150 and 200 feet. I wanted to get a driver (particularly one that I know the supposed flight path) so I can concentrate on form and know that if the disc flys other than how it should that I can try to pinpoint the form issue. Like I said, my dad is new too so we are no help to each on form issues.

Sorry for another question, but it was recommended to me to learn to drive from a standstill rather with a run-up. I get better distance with an x-step but my accuracy tanks. Is this good advice, or should I work on the run-up as well? I would much rather control my disc than have it go farther and way to the side. Again, I appreciate all the help!

Look up different grips. I'm pretty sure Innova still has Dave's Grip Tips on their site. I personally don't like using a power grip on anything lower than a speed 7. I think the grip I use is referred to as a modified fork grip. It's kinda halfway in between a fan grip and a power grip. Grip is a very personal thing. Sure, you might get slightly more distance from a power grip, but if that doesn't feel comfortable or work for you, there's nothing wrong with trying something else.

Grip is a very personal thing. Sure, you might get slightly more distance from a power grip, but if that doesn't feel comfortable or work for you, there's nothing wrong with trying something else.

^ this. A year and a half into this sport and I'm still trying to find my perfect grips.

Some instructors say 'Same grip every throw' for consistency. Others suggest different grips for different throws. I open my grip slightly as disc speed is reduced as I have found that a power grip on my putters/mids causes grip lock much too often. Probably more of an indictment of my form than proper technique as I have to consciously consider the extra element on each throw. But it works for me, for now.

^ this. A year and a half into this sport and I'm still trying to find my perfect grips.

Some instructors say 'Same grip every throw' for consistency. Others suggest different grips for different throws. I open my grip slightly as disc speed is reduced as I have found that a power grip on my putters/mids causes grip lock much too often. Probably more of an indictment of my form than proper technique as I have to consciously consider the extra element on each throw. But it works for me, for now.

I throw my putters and mids different from my drivers BH. Only when I'm going for max D FH will I change from my Fan Grip. My best advice on the subject is to get comfortable with the grip that feels the best and that you get the greatest control out of. Once you are comfortable with your main grip than you can branch out and work on situational grips.

Latest posts