• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie & Into The Wind

Hey Louie

Needs some help. I have been playing for about a month. Bought a starter set that included a Aviar, Shark and Leopard, all around 150 gm. I have been able to throw the Aviar and Shark about 170. I can get the Leopard out about 230. I also have a Dragon and Archangel but both of those seem to hyzer out at the end of flight.

Today I was practicing into a steady head wind and my throws were turning over quickly and the to the ground and roll. It did this more so with the Aviar and Shark. Can any one explain to me why this happens? Also what is the best way to attack a head wind?

Thanks

Those discs are also on the light side. You definitely want to be throwing a heavier disc into a headwind. A standard 170+ gram disc will handle much better into headwinds. Those lighter discs are good for downwind, and new players with a slower arm speed, so definitely worth keeping.

Last edited:
The molds themselves, the weights, and new player form are a perfect storm for trouble into head winds.

If you like the Leopard, at this stage a max weight one might do the trick.

It won't be as fun, but it would be doing yourself a great service (that I never did for myself) to work with those discs into a wind to learn some things about technique.

As a side note, fade at the end of the flight is good. Discs that fade reliably tend to be much easier to "range" (throw a specific distance" and are more forgiving if you turn them over a bit too much. So rather than going too far if thrown a bit too high or going way off to the right because it flipped a tiny bit more than you though, you'll just get a reliable fade instead.

FWIW, many find that the Archangel and Dragon do not reliably fade and are difficult to control how much turn you get. You may want to look into more reliable discs if you decide to get something with more fade than the Leopard and Shark.

If wind is prevalent in your area, a solid (heavy) OS fairway driver is always a good option to carry. Again, that's only if you have a bag and don't have to worry about picking up and carrying every disc hole-to-hole.

Prodigy F2
Discraft Tracker
Innova Firebird
Innova Eagle

These will all play well into a headwind and fly more like you're used to your Leopard flying when it's calm.

Cheers.

Generally starter packs come in dx plastic and all at 150g. that is only good for about the first four times you go out to play after that they have already started to break in and turn over more. i would suggest starting still with understable to stable but getting discs in champion plastic or star. even just getting the same discs in these plastics will help them stand up to the wind more. save those 150g dx for when you got a nice tail wind going.

Generally starter packs come in dx plastic and all at 150g. that is only good for about the first four times you go out to play after that they have already started to break in and turn over more. i would suggest starting still with understable to stable but getting discs in champion plastic or star. even just getting the same discs in these plastics will help them stand up to the wind more. save those 150g dx for when you got a nice tail wind going.

Thanks for the info. would you go up in weight when getting the different plastic? If so to what weight?

Thanks

try a 150 star or champ leopard for light wind, and a 150 champ firebird for very windy days.

as others have said, throw with more hyzer. i also recommend trying to throw a little higher to give the disc more room to work.

where do you play on the Eastern Shore? I'm from Salisbury and have played at the Schu a good bit.

try a 150 star or champ leopard for light wind, and a 150 champ firebird for very windy days.

as others have said, throw with more hyzer. i also recommend trying to throw a little higher to give the disc more room to work.

where do you play on the Eastern Shore? I'm from Salisbury and have played at the Schu a good bit.
Schumacher Pond is the only place I have played. Only been playing for a little over month,maybe about out 5 rounds. Just got finished a round a little while a go. I think I found every tree on the course tonight.

Latest posts