• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Golf: How often do you play?

Night Golf: How often do you play?

• Total voters
Never. I have played a few times before, and it just isn't my cup of tea. I hated fumbling around with the LEDs. It's just a pain. I'll stick to playing during the day.

The key is to have multiple LEDs so that you can tape/velcro one to each disc you want to use previous to the round.
I usually only use two discs for night golf. A River and a Core. Both are translucent red and I just tape on the LEDs before I play.

^^We discussed it last year but ultimately it was decided that too much glow around the course would attract attention from the rangers. You know, the same rangers that stopped by one night at 2am while we were listening to music and drinking, with junk all over the table, and a large glass "water pipe" in plain view. Yeah, that ranger, who said nothing about that whole incident.

In regards to the disc; while it has also been discussed at length, I have found it best to use the DG Beacons, or the one-time glow Fishing Beacon Refills (4 @ $3). Tape em on with white medical tape and you can send the disc down a river without anything falling off. Works great with champ and star plastic, even if they don't appear to be see thru.

Last edited:
We discussed it last year but ultimately it was decided that too much glow around the course would attract attention from the rangers. You know, the same rangers that stopped by one night at 2am while we were listening to music and drinking, with junk all over the table, and a large glass "water pipe" in plain view. Yeah, that ranger, who said nothing about that whole incident.

Yeah, this was considered but I think we'll be ok. There will be no public advertisement of it, but it will happen. May-Hem is gonna rock!

Also, none of the pins are particularly close to a road, and I don't imagine the rangers driving around on the course. So, even if it wasn't a temp course, I don't think it would be a problem on the main one.

Also, none of the pins are particularly close to a road, and I don't imagine the rangers driving around on the course. So, even if it wasn't a temp course, I don't think it would be a problem on the main one.

Also, we'll have good moon light that weekend.
Full moon for May 2012:

May 5, 8:36 P.M.

Went and played oaktrail park with new Blackjax light up discs on a full moon night. It was my first time night frolfing, pretty fun!

Around here the winter is "glow season" because the sun goes down so early. I don't normally play glow dg in daylight time.

Glow League

I actually run a glow league here in Blo-No about once or twice a month. Get a pretty good crowd between 8-12 usually. I know they do the same thing in Lafayette, IN.

Never. I have played a few times before, and it just isn't my cup of tea. I hated fumbling around with the LEDs. It's just a pain. I'll stick to playing during the day.

It aint a pain once you know what you're doing. I play at the Grange (now The Blockhouse) every Friday night. Since we all have the proper tools in place, the round goes without a hitch...dare I say much better than rounds in the daylight.

I go maybe four or five times a year. I was going to start going weekly but Cat Hollow in Round Rock stop having night golf on Tuesday nights, bummer. I did notice there were glow sticks hanging from baskets at North Town last time I played...anyone in the Austin area know if that is a regular thing now?

I use LEDs and tape, but I'm also only using a few discs when I play at night.
A lot of times I'm only using a River and a Core. I tape up on hole #1 and I'm usually good for the whole round.

I play with a lot of older guys who insist using velcro. The problem is that their velcro is old and doesn't really work that well anymore. One good tree hit and I'm there looking with them for their disc for 15 minutes due to "separation."
Each to their own I guess.

I love playing at night. I get such a free feeling, and I usually do pretty good too. Somehow I miss all the trees I'm usually hitting in the daytime.

Nothing is more annoying that waiting for people to charge their glow disc on every shot. What really annoys me is when someone is charging it up for a 30 ft putt. C'mon, you are not going to lose it!

Nothing is more fun than watching a properly adhered LED-lit disc fly through the night. I usually tape it just a bit off center so you can also see the spin of the disc.

Nothing is more annoying that waiting for people to charge their glow disc on every shot. What really annoys me is when someone is charging it up for a 30 ft putt. C'mon, you are not going to lose it!

Nothing is more fun than watching a properly adhered LED-lit disc fly through the night. I usually tape it just a bit off center so you can also see the spin of the disc.

I would disagree with this. A small blacklight takes about 1 or 2 seconds to charge a disc. But you shouldn't do it on putts. I've never really seen a glow disc lost when folks were paying attention, but I see folks lose their LED lights way too often.

I also think watching LEDs fly is nowhere near as cool as watching a glow disc leave a trail as it slams into the chains. And you can just glow half if spin is what you want to see.

4670575964_94bb6c6773_b.jpg

Latest posts